Fuel Guage Doesn't Go Down Much

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

05X

I have a Civic SI Guage Cluster and I noticed that the fuel guage needle doesn't seem to be dropping much every time I drive. I have driven over 140 miles and the needle is still more than 3/4 and a little less than full. It's weird. Normally, I would be close to half tank by 140 miles. Also, I tried moving the needle manually, but it went back to where it was. It just started happening. I doubt I'm getting 40 mpg-more like 29 mpg. I have an LS engine by the way. Any ideas?

the float in your fuel tank is what floats on top of the surface of the fuel in your tank and sends a signal to your gauge cluster to move the needle up or down. if the shaft that it moves up and down on is dirty/dry , then it will stick. it is located in the tank right by the fuel pump.

It could also be the electronic looking thingy (sorry dont know the specific name) attached to the fuel pump. If you take out the entire fuel pump assemble you will see the float at the end, the arm that goes to the electronic thingy I am talking about. I have had this happen to me before. You might have to replace the entire fuel pump to fix this problem. Good Luck.

Back