garrett help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:thankyousigna2:

thats really what i was meaning when i said start spooling at 3 and top at 6, i meant thats where i want my powerband to be. youll have to excuse me sometimes im a fucktard. :)

anyway, as far as the rest of the setup any feedback you can give me?
greddy emanage ultimate(shop said i wont pass obd2 inspection if i went with standalone ecu)
EGT, boost and wideband
440cc injectors

i will post dyno pic's in about a week or so

Last edited:
double post i know...

i read somthing about valve overlap and having to get adjustable cam gears. will i need these?

im gonna see if i can afford another turbo. if i can im thinking a t3/t04b or a t28. i may have to go with this turbo for the price im getting it for. I dont think it would be a good idea to spend more money on a bigger turbo and sacrafice money for engine management.

Last edited:
so from what im reading, i should spend the extra $ and get gsr cam's and adjustable cam gears.
or at LEAST the cam gears? remember this is kinda a budget i dont really have the extra $ to spend on gsr cams.

:sniper: I HATE MONEY THAT DOESNT GROW ON TREES

Last edited:
i had that same turbo max spool was at 4200 rpm on my B18A1 on my old 4door teggy i got good gas milage and i had 170k on the ODO and i had 8PSI max

the cams in conjunction with stroke, bore, compression level, etc will dictate the motor's powerband. it will run at a steady rate at it's maximum boost level and create the powerband as per the motor's natural function. 200whp is 200 peak wheel horse power. that means the greatest amount of horsepower durring the powerband, where ever it may occur, will be 200whp. usually the point at which you hit 200 is somewhere around 7400rpm~7800rpm. you need the turbo to spool to full capacity before the motor can start producing the best powerband it can produce. but your limiting that to 200 so you dont blow your motor. or w/e number you end up going with.

watch an incar vid focused on the guages of a turbo anything. civic works.

I made something for you :)

turbovspower.bmp
\

...semi proportionate. mspaint ftw :p

so if the turbo makes boost real early, will it keep making as much power all the way through lets say 7200rpm. if im driving on the highway at 3800rpm and i down shift into 4th to race somone is the turbo going to still help me gain power up top.

well im pretty much useless when it comes to mechanics but is a high way race if you have a quick enugh shift tiem you could even afford to drop it to 3rd and hav the vtec kick in with the turbo and tear off i can do that in my b16a CRX

does it even seem worth getting a turbo that doesn't opperate in the power band? like 88B16ASiR said. say its a highway race.

now with the turbo getting boost real fast, does that mean i will reach my peak power faster? so this turbo would be better for the wholeshot

your asking questions where you really need the experiance. so go look at dyno charts for stock B16's under boost. google images is a good place. try "stock B16 turbo dyno"

the goal is to get to max psi as early in the rpm range as possible. you want the least amount of turbo lag. no matter what your doing. from there, it's the CAMSHAFT profile that mainly dictates how the engine will make power.

so ive decided to go with a Turbonetics t3/t4 turbo instead. i finally turned her off and shes gonna start getting tore down here soon. gonna start ordering all the parts.

any feedback on that particular turbo? should be more than enough to get me to the plus side of 200whp.

Last edited:
im not doing the build. i know the owner of a performance shop around here and hes gonna get me a good price on it and do it for me.

and i dont take anything personal that i agree with, im probably not ready to do an extensive build like that yet. gotta start somwhere, and reading as much as i have about this will help me alot.

the thing is, ive already dropped the car off to get the turbo done. the parts are already ordered.

personally, im pretty excited to get this done. hes getting dealer discounts and doing all the tuning there so this is a pretty good deal.

i probably should slow down, buts its already in motion. lets just take care of the car once its on there and be smart.

also, i just bought some gsr cams on craigslist. now i gotta find some gears :eek:

Last edited:
i was reading about this turbo that im getting, it doesnt spool till about 3500rpms. if i am only pushing 6-8lbs of boost. will it still take till 5500rpms to reach that?

turbonetics t3/t4 60 trim. .57ar d16y8 starts spooling at 3200rpms, hits full boost arround 5900rpms and is at 18psi

so weather im pushing 8lbs or 18lbs it will still take me to 5500 before i see full boost. i would think because its less psi, it would take less amount of time to reach.

go look at a video, of a boosted car, with a boost guage in the shot. camera focused on the guages. just look at what goes on. spools at 3200 meaning that's when it starts overcoming vacuum and starts creating power. look at a video!!

MoTec Dash. Second row, far right. that's psi. MPH is above it. RPMs are displayed as a solid band.
YouTube - The ultimate boost gauge

Boost Gauge in Action

she got dyno'd this morning the way she is now. she put down 150whp so far. 16 sec 1/4mile. msd, clutch, i/h/e.
this turbo im going with is a t3/t04b .48 a/r
T04BS-3.gif

2.1 p/r
25lb/min
should put me right in the middle of that map. what ya think?

Last edited:
she got dyno'd this morning the way she is now. she put down 150whp so far. 16 sec 1/4mile. msd, clutch, i/h/e.
this turbo im going with is a t3/t04b .48 a/r
T04BS-3.gif

2.1 p/r
25lb/min
should put me right in the middle of that map. what ya think?

like you said blanco, this turbo will be nice for the 4-7k rpm range and should put me alittle past the 200whp mark.

ive tried searching for dyno charts on this setup. cant find em:(

Last edited:
Back