Gas Mileages

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
I drive a 95 honda civic hatchback and being 11 years old this thing treats me well. Still shifts smooth, no tears or rips in the interior, rust free, and it doesnt burn a drop of oil. I have a question that has been covered before but i have done all that i know. My gas milage when i bought the car 2.5 years ago used was around 440 miles to a tank. That equates to 36.97 mpg or 37 just to round it up. That lasted for almost a year and i noticed a steady decline. 420, 380, 350, and it evened out at about 315 a tank. So that makes my gas milage at 26.4 mpg. So this is about the time gas prices sky rocketed, so of course i tried to do some refreshing to my fuel system. I replaced the plugs, wires, air filter, even new tires because was kept going flat. Nothing happened to my gas mileage. Still around that 315 a tank. Now all of a sudden in the past month i can't even hit 240 miles to a tank... which is just barely 20 mpg. So over the past 2.5 years my gas milage has dropped 17 miles per gallon. That means a total loss of 202 miles per tank. It kills me in the wallet area. My civic is now reduced to a fucking pig. This think hogs more gas than my first car which was a 1989 v6 thunderbird with a whole shit load of mechanical problems. What could cause this decrease in gas milage? Should i try a new O2 sensor?, fuel filter?, or injectors? Should i buy new parts, or go to a junk yard and try them out first? Any info will help out, thanks for looking :)

why not just tune up the whole thing? new filters all around, new sensors, oil, and the works? why do one part if your not going to do all of it?

My 91 civic hatch gets great mileage as long as i keep it tuned well, i bought it last August and gave it a complete tune, Absolutley everything, right down to the O2 sensor and i get around 35 Mpg. Also check your front end alignment, if its off it will also effect you mileage

Compared to my other gas guzzlers this car is and absolute joy :mrgreen:

Chet.

Back