Getting Too Much Gas.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sinfulcivic

Swapped for a D16A6, along with a PM-6 ECU, did my best on all the wiring mods,
put it in a Civic Hatchback,1991 with 5 speed. Got her running, actually seems to run ok, considering that its running soooooo rich that gas is actually coming out the back of the exhaust and dripping from the pipe!! Does anyone know what i can do about this?My injector resistor box i bought tests good, but its like the injectors are pumping fuel constantly into the engine for me to get this amount. Any suggestions??? thanxs :unsure:

Originally posted by sinfulcivic@Jul 9 2003, 08:59 AM
along with a PM-6 ECU, did my best on all the wiring mods,

i would suggest you start troubleshooting there.....

sorry, had my kid try to type for me, Im getting a code 20 from the ecu, but i dont have a test harness. 20 is an electrical load detector. dont really know where to start.......It is running good other than the fuel overdose.? i dont have a clue what it could be?? any help?

code 20 electric load dectector sensor is located in the fuse box above the strut tower.. there should be a 3 wire connector that plugs into the sensor/sensor maybe bad. You may have also cut 1 of the wire at the ecu that control that sensor when you did the swap. I know when you wire a vtec motor you cut the eld wire to run the vtec, i think hope that helps.

but this should have nothing to do with how the car runs but because your getting the 20 code the ecu may not show the code that is giving you the fuel problem.. maybe runnining in limp mode? ecu might be sending you too much fuel.. (unlikely but maybe) you probably have to get rid of the 20 code to find the real problem.

and are you sure it's fuel coming out to the exhuast? because if a car is running rich the exhaust is usually black. what color is the exhaust?

thank you for the info on the E.L.D. location, I did some un-wiring of the injectors and am getting a code 16 and a 20 now. I also checked the voltage to my injectors while running and am getting an erratic voltage difference, both between injectors and each single one. The exhaust is black, and gas is actually dripping from the exhaust.I cant figure this one out, i even ran a compression test, and got within 3 on each cylinder. I have heard that the ecu's seldom are the problem, but i got this one used, could this be it?Positive on the gas, and oh yeah, this is weird, some of the time, when i shut it down, my gauge lights( oil press, batt. etc.) will remain on, and power is still going to my injectors!! That doesnt happen every time, but in order to get them to go off, i have to tap the starter, w/key, and then shut it off. then they go off!! Any ideas??

As for the car staying on with the key off, you need to check your grounds. Take them all apart and sand it down. Go over your connections again, the ecu may be shorted. Try and get another one just to test. Good Luck!

it is only the gauge lights that stay on, and not every time??? weird, but thanks. I must have something so obvious thats wrong, i cant see it....... I have the big Chiltons repair manual, and the little Haynes, but i cant seem to get the same answer from either one about the exact pin locations on the ecu, as far as they are numbered from left to right, or they are upper left being a-1, then below it is a-2, etc. i have instructions and diagrams showing me that they are using both. I think if i knew that FOR SURE, i could probably get further. anyone know without a doubt? Sure would love to get this running.............ty

Back