going to the track this weekend

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok guys im gonna take the crx to the track this weekend for the first time since the rebuild. last time i was there i got a pretty sorry time 15.0. im shooting for a second faster this time 14.0. im not all into drag racing but theres no road courses around me so im just going for shits and giggles really.

old setup:
stock gsr motor (possibility of broken vac lines at the time)
stock p72 ecu
ls cable tranny
ww body kit
15" rotoa c8's with es 100's
worn suspension with blown shocks and torn bushings

new setup:
stock body
stock gsr motor
b16 tranny
skunk2 IM
dc 4-2-1 header
p28 chipped ecu (i hope it get there in time this is really essential, or else ill be running stock ecu)
jimfab crossmember/traction bar
new suspension all around
new poly bushings all around
stock crx rims with 195/60/14 Azenis

my main question is on tires. i do have another set of stock wheels with regular old all season tires on them. my question is should i take those rims and run the all season tires with the pressure dropped a little, or just stick it out with the azenis? i know azenis suck for drag, but would the regular all seasons be any better? what about dropping the pressure on the azenis? i know they have real stiff sidewalls but would it help any? wish me luck :) im praying my ecu gets here in time :(

Well, the new B16 tranny is going to be main go-faster part for drag. Good luck, you'll have alot of fun.

In terms of tires, I'd stick with the Azenis, just because of the rubber compound. All-seasons suck for everything...every season. Try running the reccomended PSi first, then go down a bit from there, but be carefull not to deflate them too much, you dont want to damage the sidewalls. Just launch at a respectable RPM and you'll be fine.

Have fun.

thanks, i knew i didnt wanna go too low on the azenis but wanted to be sure. ill be going tomorow and ill let everyone know how it goes.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 8 2005, 12:26 PM
thanks, i knew i didnt wanna go too low on the azenis but wanted to be sure. ill be going tomorow and ill let everyone know how it goes.
[post=484710]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:
have fun

what is the recommended pressure? about 20 psi?

weaksauce, best of 6 runs was a 14.94. i dont know wtf is wrong with my setup, but theres SOMETHING wrong somewhere. i know azenis suck for drag, and im not THAT experienced with drag racing, but after 6 runs i pretty much had it down on what to do and how to launch, and i might need an allignmet too i noticed the car pulling to the right when i let go of the wheel. but even all that shouldnt slow me down a whole second slower then i should be running. i had consistent 2.3 60' times. i got a 2.2 on one run. trap speeds were all around 95mph.

what i was surprised about was that the new ecu didnt make much of a difference. stock p72 ecu i got 14.95, chipped p28 with mild all-motor chip netted a 14.94. i didnt get a chance to test out the agresssive chip because the ecu wasnt socketed with a ZIF socket so i didnt feel like hassling with it to change chips.

on the bright side i won 40 bucks in bracket racing though, lol. made it all the way to 4th round eliminations and pretty much took 6th place for the night. 1st round i beat a 13 sec camaro. 2nd round i beat another 13 sec car, not sure what kind it was but it looked like boat, lol. i only won that race cause she red-lighted and got disqualified. then in the 3rd round because i got the by (.514 r/t :) ) i automatically advanced since there was an odd number of racers. then in the 4th round i raced my buddy eric in his 13 sec corvette. he beat me though cause i choked and bogged off the line.

all in all it was a fun day/night at the track, but i was dissapointed in my time :(

I was gonna go to capital this weekend. Not to run but just to hang out. But i got O.A.R. tickets to their concert in annpolis. What are you shifting at?

i tried a lot of different shift points. around 8000 seemed to be best. i tried running deep like 8500 but on a stock motor its a waste. i tried going shallow too, like 7800 and i was slower again. 8000 was best for me. but i also have some discrepencies about the stock tach. i think its off at high rpms. i think its reading to ohigh so im not positive where exactly i was shifting.

something is def wrong dude. a gsr in a crx is NOT a 15 sec car. shit, bill went 14.7 in his ls hatch with the ls tranny on azenis.... and it was his first time to the track too. something is not right with your car...

i know. i dont know what though. the car runs perfect. no codes, no warning lights. its all fine. half the parts on the car are new. i have no clue what could be wrong.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 11 2005, 10:21 AM
i know. i dont know what though. the car runs perfect. no codes, no warning lights. its all fine. half the parts on the car are new. i have no clue what could be wrong.
[post=485657]Quoted post[/post]​

when you really step on your car, do you chirp (i mean majorly) the tires shifting into 3rd?

What is your suspension setup?

That may be most of your problems . . . oh, and just shift where u feel the car makes max power, practice while driving on empty roads.

. . but hey, what do i know my 1/4 mile times suck. 15.6 with my B16A EJ1 with just an intake.

for your setup your times arent as bad as mine, lol. and i dont think the car chirps third. it definitely does second but not 3rd. suspension setup is practically new and consists of tokico illuminas, GC coils, GC top hats, full poly bushings, and jimfab bar. the suspension isnt the problem. its nice and tight.

i think the problem is that im losing power due to something. but i have no idea where its at. the car runs perfect. i dont get it.

ill probably go again next weekend and double check my timing and compression before hand. i didnt check that before. maybe my timing is way off, who knows.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 11 2005, 05:40 PM
for your setup your times arent as bad as mine, lol. and i dont think the car chirps third. it definitely does second but not 3rd. suspension setup is practically new and consists of tokico illuminas, GC coils, GC top hats, full poly bushings, and jimfab bar. the suspension isnt the problem. its nice and tight.

i think the problem is that im losing power due to something. but i have no idea where its at. the car runs perfect. i dont get it.

ill probably go again next weekend and double check my timing and compression before hand. i didnt check that before. maybe my timing is way off, who knows.
[post=485825]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats weird, my friends GSR crx chirps into forth (I/H/E and advanced timing) - granted runs it on stock CRX suspension with CRX rims . . . .

my only other suggestion is to get the car dynoed.

i dunno, im not gonna get it dynoed, im not dropping more cash on this thing right now. hopefully its just a timing issue, cause i didnt retime the engine when i switched ecus. the chipped p28 has a custom map so im guessing the timing map could be different too.

anyone wanna venture a guess as to why im so slow? the car show NO symptoms that something is worng. what will slow the car down this much with out at least showing some signs that something is amiss?

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Apr 12 2005, 04:39 PM
anyone wanna venture a guess as to why im so slow? the car show NO symptoms that something is worng. what will slow the car down this much with out at least showing some signs that something is amiss?
[post=486278]Quoted post[/post]​

Unless you have fat albert in the car with you and an audio system consisting of those 5000 watt MTX subs and a few BIG amps i have no clue what the problem is.

haha, thats a big negative. just me (165ish lbs) and my interior. hell i dont even have all the stock speakers in, just in the doors

Back