Golf thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

my first set was $99 from big5.. included everything including bag.. in the first 2 months i snapped the club heads off a couple irons, w/ clean hits too.. i just heard a humming through the air from the head of the club.. lol .. i've since upgraded to a Nike driver and some Cobra irons (cheap used set)

my dad is gonna give me his clubs though.. he had surgery on his shoulder recently and thinks he wont be able to play anymore.. he has 1" oversized Cobra irons because he's 6'6" and offset Cobra drivers... which is good, because i'm 6'2" and i have a slice that goes to the right.. :D

To date that is the biggest lesson I have learned - you get what you pay for. It has been hard because growing up we didn't have a lot and we were forced to make the most of any funds we had. So when I first started out on my own I thought I could get away with cheaper sporting gear. I was way wrong. If you pay a little more up front you are more pleased because the quality is there, they last longer and the results will start to show.

exact reason i bought the cheap set.. it was a fathers day special and i had never really played before.. so i bought a cheap set to see if i would even like it.. i did, broke the heads of a few clubs and said "damnit! should have boughten better used clubs from the beginning" i still use the cheap bag though

The only thing I have left from that cheapo set is my sand wedge and my 5w. The wedge is mostly used from really bad lies like gravel cart paths or other crap that could ruin my irons and of cours out of the sand. The 5w is only in my bag for that rare chance I need a snap slice around a corner as I can do that every time with that club. My next purchase will most likely be a wedge set. I have been looking that the Cleveland's alot.

Titleist Pro V1.

Best ball ever.

If I really commit to playing again, a new/lightly used set of irons is on my list of wants. A friend of mine has a set of Titleist forged blades (not sure of the #, maybe 860) that I absolutely love, I just can't justify spending the 5 or 6 bills if I'm only gonna play 2 times a year.

Right now I have TaylorMade LCG's which were state of the art about 10 years ago, and I still hit really well and pretty consistently. Also a TaylorMade 300Ti Driver with a tour stiff shaft and an 8.5 degree loft. Again, it was purchased new 10ish years ago, and was the last of TM's midsize drivers. I think I paid around 400 for it. It was about a year before they introduced the R5 model with the movable weights in the head. While I have hit the R5 and R7, I just can't get comfortable with that ginormous head, they're probably 1.5x the size of the 300 I hit.

I'm about a 4 handicap. I played 9 yesterday for the first time in a month or two and was a couple over. My game is pretty decent considering I hardly ever get time to go out and play.

If I really commit to playing again, a new/lightly used set of irons is on my list of wants. A friend of mine has a set of Titleist forged blades (not sure of the #, maybe 860) that I absolutely love, I just can't justify spending the 5 or 6 bills if I'm only gonna play 2 times a year.

check out Used Golf Clubs, Golf Discount Pre-Owned Equipment - GlobalGolf Sale its where i ordered my used clubs from

they have the 681
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1001978/iron-set/titleist/681-forged.aspx?gd=3

Last edited:
Titleist Pro V1.

Best ball ever.

I just don't buy into the hype of that ball. From what I have read 98% of the people out there (non pros) hitting that ball aren't actually "good enough" to use it skill wise. They just hit it because so and so on the tour does. The way I see it why spend that much money on a ball that I am going to lose one or two a round on.

I always play a Pro V1. But then again I am good enough to warrant using it :D. I like the way it feels off the face and I always get a consistent amount of spin with it. I still average about 275+ yds with it too.

It is always funny when my father in law (works at a course) asks me if I need some balls. He finds a couple hundred a year and they are 75% Pro V1 or the newer NXT, NXT tour balls. I always cringe because I couln't stand the thought of losing an almost 5 dollar a ball golf ball. I know what you mean about feel though. I love the way I hit my T/P blacks. Almost enough to test out a dozen of the new Penta golf balls. I never worry about my drives in terms of distance because I know as soon as it get to the 150-160 range I can 1 hop and stop them on the green.

I just don't buy into the hype of that ball. From what I have read 98% of the people out there (non pros) hitting that ball aren't actually "good enough" to use it skill wise. They just hit it because so and so on the tour does. The way I see it why spend that much money on a ball that I am going to lose one or two a round on.

Yeah I understand your point. If I was losing 4 or 5 balls a round it definitely wouldn't be worthwhile. I didn't hit them until I got a sleeve as a tee gift at an outing, and I was able to notice a difference on the spin around the greens.

I always play a Pro V1. But then again I am good enough to warrant using it :D. I like the way it feels off the face and I always get a consistent amount of spin with it. I still average about 275+ yds with it too.

This.

The deal is. If you're a 10 or less. You're better than 98% of amateur golfers.

The deal is. If you're a 10 or less. You're better than 98% of amateur golfers.

Exactly - not many guys out there are a 10 handicap or less. I know that none of the guys I play with/know are and most of them use Pro V1, Nxt or NXT tour because they think they should be using them. I get pissed when they lose one because they take an hour looking for a lost ball. I swear one guy I know would wear a snorkel if we let him to fish out his water ball.

Exactly - not many guys out there are a 10 handicap or less. I know that none of the guys I play with/know are and most of them use Pro V1, Nxt or NXT tour because they think they should be using them. I get pissed when they lose one because they take an hour looking for a lost ball. I swear one guy I know would wear a snorkel if we let him to fish out his water ball.

Word. My dad is a "12.6" and is more like a 9-10 area. He hits a prov1.

Me. I'm an 18. Yeah I hit 10 over once in a while but most likely i'm going to have 40 putts and hit a 90. So I use crap balls. Because it doesn't matter.

Back