Good synthetic oil?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by slammedcivic22@Aug 25 2003, 10:32 PM
i use mobil 1 and i go to walmart and get a 5 quart jug for 18 bucks

WHAT?????

you can get mobil 1 synthetic for 10 bucks for a 5 quart jug??????????????????

i pay 5.00 a quart @ pep boys......

is walmart really THAT cheap in prices?

Yes, Walmart just started carrying the 5-quart jugs. $18 vs. the old $25 I used to pay. I hate Walmart, but I buy my oil there.

And as for Honda filters, I agree with asmallsol. I switched to using Wick's (purchased at NAPA) and I couldn't be happier. They worked better (and have a superior design) to Honda filters.

Originally posted by B16@Aug 25 2003, 11:50 PM
how do you know if an oil filter is really working that much better?

thats what I was thinking lol unless you cut it open and look at all the crap it filtered....

I use a Honda filter with Mobil 1 15-50

4.78 a quart I change my oil/filter every 2500 miles even with synth

oh yeah why the hell do you want to run synth oil? who cares its a D15 I ran CTX 10-30 or 10-40 depending on the weather in my D15 motor no problems with it even at 139K miles before swaping it

unless you are pushing some high power who cares its a waste of money to buy full synth oil

only reason I run it in my motor the shop I deal with has seen first hand when an engien blows up less parts are damaged on the motors running full synth motor oil
sure it could be it blew up a different way but after 10 or so years of building race motors you would think they have seen enough pop to know

in your case if your D15 blows up chances are you wont rebuild it its cheaper to buy a 250-350 buck engine from some guy like me =)

mobil1 synthetic mixed with some reg oil is what i do..works for me..i keep that shit at or above the max line,cuz i like a juicy motor..hehe

Using synth oil lubricates the engine better, the oil doesn't break down like dino oil does, and allows you to run over 3,000 miles per oil change.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Aug 25 2003, 10:13 PM
I have never burned oil, until I switched to synthedic, and within 2k miles, I had burned a half quart. Next time, I am going to just run a good Dino oil.

I heard the same thing from alot of people that mobil1 burns oil and you have to add 1/2 -1 qt between oil changes. So they switched to castrol syntec and they didnt burn oil at all. i havent had the chance to to try it yet so well see.

Explain that to me? I have been doing oil changes with frams(rebadged honda) since I was 9, yeah 7 years, but I have neve rhad a problem ever with them.

hamps filter yoO. :)

since your ride is a stocker and will most likely stay that way get some cheap dino oil, you will be fine with it.

Milan

seeing that most of the top performance exotic cars recomend mobil 1 id say its probly good

im pretty sure porsche voids your waranty if you use anything else

Originally posted by kingwilly@Aug 26 2003, 12:44 AM
mobil1 synthetic mixed with some reg oil is what i do..works for me..i keep that shit at or above the max line,cuz i like a juicy motor..hehe

i dont think its possible.. regular oil and synethic oils have a different bonding properties.. yeah its O,H,C but so is everything else..i was told they dont bond so dont mix..

Originally posted by endlesszeal+Aug 28 2003, 08:15 PM-->
kingwilly
@Aug 26 2003, 12:44 AM

i dont think its possible.. regular oil and synethic oils have a different bonding properties.. yeah its O,H,C but so is everything else..i was told they dont bond so dont mix..

right!

Back