1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greddy tube/fin vs. No-name bar/plate

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by 92CHB, Feb 21, 2005.

1. 92CHB

92CHB Senior Member

Okay so i have been in the hunt for a different IC than the one i got for my semi budget setup. My goal is 200+whp at first then maybe up to 240 in a year or so. I have come across a no name bar/plate IC for under 200 bucks and i have also come across a greddy 15"x6"x3" fub/fin IC for 150 obo. I am stuck on which to get i am thinking of taking a risk and getting the no-name one and do some testing before i use it to check the psi loss. I am also not too sure if the greddy one will cool enough for my 240 hp in the future. I am not interested in a JRC IC. Oh ya my turbo is a td04L out of a 2003 WRX, it will be matted to my d15b7. All input would be great! :worthy: :worthy:

Need help deciding Which intercooler

2. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

I am interested to see these in action. A lot of people on homemadeturbo.com are running them.

CCA

3. 92CHB

92CHB Senior Member

The cheap one is actually dare i say it, a SSAC IC. It looks identical to the precision and there is a whole post on htech about but it didnt really get that far other than saying no one knows. I have to decide pretty soon cuz i heard someone else is interested in the greddy, i should have no problems cooling with the greddy right.

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

why not johnny RC? they were made for almost your exact setup/goal.

5. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

I was going to ask the same thing. I got a JRC IC, my goal is around 250 hp.

6. 92CHB

92CHB Senior Member

i had a friend that did some testing on one and it had bad PSI loss. I cant remember any specifics but it left me not interested in buying one....not saying its a bad product just saying i am not interested :)

7. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

:thumbsup: just up the boost :p

but i'd say get the no name, the greddy seems kinda small

8. 92CHB

92CHB Senior Member

Yea well the greddy's out now cuz someone else bought it when i was just about to make an offer....i have been 1 minute late on everything i have wanted to but in this project :angry:. But i figure a no name bar and plate shouldn't have that much psi loss. It'll be interesting, i will have results when we test the IC's with a manometer. To be tested: No-name bar and plate, JRC tube&fin, Probe IC, and a mid-size Spearco.

9. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

Post up the reselts I really wanna see the CCA before I decide on an IC. For me its between Percision / JRC / CCA.

10. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

Get a johnnyracecar or custom coach intercooler... they have been proven to work well on 300whp cars.

11. tab

tab Super Moderator

You want a different design than that one all-together. The number of lines that the air travels through will effect the psi loss. More lines=easier breathing. More lines require baffling to increase the use of the entire IC, using more surface area to cool. Basically, I'd want this:

l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l

rather than this
    -------------------------------------

End cap design and line layout are paramount to the efficiency of the intercooler. You can run more boost with less chance of detonation with a well designed intercooler. So sayeth Corky Bell, so sayeth the flock.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted