gsr ecu with h22 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driver1

hey all, I tried my gsr ecu in my car today(94 2 door accord ex with swapped jdm h22) and when vtec engages with the gsr ecu which is at 4500 rpm it bogs down for a second then comes out of it. I was running a jdm p13 ecu but i wanted to rty this ecu because of the quicker vtec engagement. I was also told it will build more power than the p13. Now it also throws a code for the knock sensor which is hard wired due to the swap. I know that the pins are in the same spots as far as the ecu's go (d3 for both) so why is it now throwing a code and not with the p13 ecu? another thing is i think the gsr ecu feeds more fuel than the p13 because it smelt rich when i first started it on the gsr ecu. it did feel as though the car went quite a bit better and I have heard of people runnin the, what is it p72 gsr ecu with the h22 so i would like to be able to get it to come out of this bog and get it to stop throwing a code any advice is appreciated thanx

As far as I know, the P72 runs leaner than the H22. That would account for the knock sensor code. I've heard of people running the P72 on H22's, but they were always chipped. If you really want a lower VTEC engagement, get a VTEC controller, or better yet, a Hondata or EManage.

As for the engine bogging when VTEC engages....those H22 cams were designed to engage VTEC at around 5500 rpm. I've heard people going as low as 5000 on the stock H22 cams, but not any lower. When I plugged my old Accord ECU into my H22, VTEC engaged at 2800 rpm. I lost quite a bit of power right up until about 5000 rpm, when the large lobes reached their powerband.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by driver1@Sep 24 2003, 03:16 PM
anyone???? bump

Dude....your post was up for like 15 minutes. You have to give it some time, especially in this forum. Not too many people here with alot of knowledge about H22's.

i know i know, my bad i just get impatient. so inevitably what your saying is that the p72 ecu is no good unless it chipped and as afr as that goes i could chip my p13 and be just as well off if not better? how expensive is a hondata anyway and which one would i really want for my h22 anyway. I asked this ques awhile back but all i got was a link to hondata.com and that didnt help me any

Hondata

My VTEC is stock H22 with P13, and it engages at 5000. I'd go with a VTEC controller, have your ECU remapped, get chipped, or go with a low level Hondata.

im leaving the p72 ecu in i got the check engine light off but it still has aslight bog at vtec ebgagement but were working that out.I had the timing advanced before and i retarded it quite a bit and now the car is way way fatser than it was before. all i need to do know is put in my msd 6al and bring it somewhere to have it tuned on a dyno....anyone know of any places in maine or new hampshire that dyno and are reasonable???

I believe that all H22's should be timed at 20 degrees. Going away from that is only going to be detrimental to performance.

well the way it is setup right now besides the slight bog when vtec engages it it way more powerful than it was before.... so i dunno but i really need to get my msd in and get to a dyno soon!!!

i had the p13 in it before and we had the timing advanced but im not sure how many degrees but i will try it if you really think its best for performance, it just seems as though right now when in vten and not in vtec other than the slgiht bog it pulls alot harder than it did before tahst all this is why i would like to put it on a dyno to find out what is optimal performance

I wouldn't advise advancing the timing via the distributor. Setting it at 20 degrees is going to ensure that the spark plug fires when each piston is at TDC. If it fires before or after, you WILL lose power. In order to adjust your valve timing effectively, you need to get adjustable cam gears.

I have the stock p72 running my jdm h22. No code, but I think I know what you're saying about the bog. I think it is just the secondary runners opening in the intake manifold. I switch between the 1993 chrome dipped 15" stocks w/ 55 series tires (heavy as hell), and a set of light 14" wheels w/ the nitto drags on them. My car is a lot quicker w/ the 14's and it seems the vtec clicks on faster/harder. Let me know if you find anything else to help that bog.

stock timing is 15 degree's BTDC. the gsr ecu runs very lean on the h22's because it uses smaller injectors for the gsr. and the bog you feel is directed towards the intake air velocity problem due to the p72 because your secondary butterfly's do not open until 6k rpms so what you feel is your car struggling to get the correct amount of air in. for reference the stock itb's on the p13 ecu open up at 4500rpms.

enjoy.

Is it 15? I couldn't remember what my Helm's said. I know Chilton's said one thing, and Helm's said another. Must have been Chilton's that said 20.

Nah man, I kid you not. Chilton's said 20. I scratched my head too on that one. It seemed like too much.

Back