gsr ecu with h22 swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Right, and the Chiltons covered Prelude models from like 88-95. Maybe it was a misprint. I triple checked to make sure it wasn't some older Prelude model that I was referencing. It was listed as the H22A1 DOHC engine, 20 degrees. I even had my buddy there who was helping me time the engine, and he couldn't believe it. I think we ended up setting it at 17 anyway, because we thought it was too high.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 26 2003, 09:25 AM
Right, and the Chiltons covered Prelude models from like 88-95. Maybe it was a misprint. I triple checked to make sure it wasn't some older Prelude model that I was referencing. It was listed as the H22A1 DOHC engine, 20 degrees. I even had my buddy there who was helping me time the engine, and he couldn't believe it. I think we ended up setting it at 17 anyway, because we thought it was too high.

84-95 ;) but chiltons is pretty shady. especially for other cars. my friend amy ending up sueing them for damages to her 4g63 because they used the wrong torque specs on the flywheel.

Yikes. That's whack about the flywheel torque specs. Yeah, I found out Chiltons/Haynes was pretty shady early on, and got my Helm's as soon as possible.

yeah i'm temporarilly "borrowing" my ex's helms manual for her 94 vtec. hehe

Nice. I've got the 93 Helm's, and it's got a huge section on the "new-fangled VTEC technology" and how it works. :lol:

On a side note, I don't think this forum has ever seen this kind of action before. :)

wait wait wait wait a second. My mechanic could be wrong, but he said the p72 tells the injectors when to fire, and not how much gas they spit. I have the stock h22 injectors. Are you saying it only allows the gsr's amount of fuel to be injected? That sux. Will a vafc fix this, and will it open up the 2nd runners at the right rpm? Thanx.

like i said. you won't run enough fuel. and the secondary butterfly's will not open up until 6k rpms. which will make the h22 fall on it's ass.

all of this makes sense to me but i just dont understand why when i put the p72 ecu in it seemed to make the car feel so much more powerful? is it because when i had the h22 with the p13 that i didnt have it timed at 15 or 20 degrees that made it not have the power it should have to begn with? so now that i have put this ecu in and changed the timing that it feels more powerful? and also when timing it shall it be 15 or 17 or 20 degrees? and when doing it shall it be done via the distributor?

As Helm's said, time it at 15 +/- 2 degrees. It should be done via the distributor, with the service plug jumpered while adjusting the timing.

the car felt faster with the gsr ecu because it did make more power. but it fell on it's ass until 6k. but the gsr runs you leaner but to the point where you are at the fine line between power and detonation. but that ecu wasn't made for your motor. so it has harmfull side effects.

JDMlude--The car doesn't hesitate for 1500rpms!!!. It hesitates from more like 4500 to 4700 (just a snap of your fingers) and then it rips alll the way through. There is no change in power anywhere near 6000rpms, so your 6000 rpm butterfly theroy can not be right. Again--won't a vafc fix that fuel problem? It must! I think the gsr ecu opens the 2nd runners at 4600rpm-ish and thats what we're feeling, not to mention you can hear them click open.

No, as I said before, I think what you're feeling is a bog once VTEC engages. The stock H22A cams don't make power much below 5000 rpm. I think you're feeling a lag from that. A VAFC or anything else that lets you control the VTEC engagement point will take care of that.

Back