gsr tranny vs b16 tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

viejo

im putting a b18b1 in 97 civc, i would like to know which tranny would be better, and also would like to know what there better for. Advice will be appreciated!

if you do a lot of hwy driving, get the GSR transmission. the slightly higher gear ratio in the upper gears is nice. other than high cruising rpms the b16a trans is great for a sub 200whp setup. the short gears will wake it up. dont get me wrong though, the GSR trans has noticeably shorter gears than a LS tranny and will work great too.

b16 = faster acceleration, weaker diff, good for drag/race, will use more gas and ware at highway speeds due to elevated 5th gear rpms
gsr = slightly slower acceleration due to longer gears, better daily driver, strong diff center

Daily driver with highway commuting, i'd go for the gsr
pleasure car only, b16

either way, try to get an LSD in either :) 2wd > 1wd

B16 tranny gears are short as hell. Im on the express way on the way to work and 5th gear in my B16 crx feels like 3rd gear on my accord and it's at 43-4500 rpm.

I have a B18B, I just put in a B16 trans but I installed an LS 5th gear! To me, that's the winning combo!!

^^^ my plan when I rebuild my trans....I hate the B16 5th gear

i had the same plan years ago.. never did it though.. b16 gears w/ ls 5th for freeway driving FTW!

The gear isn't that expensive either...just a matter of cracking that case open and changing it out (which is the scary part too lmao)

just a matter of cracking that case open and changing it out (which is the scary part too lmao)

exact reason i never did it.. and i'm not payin anyone to do it.. lol

classifieds sections on forums like this one
engine importer sites sometimes have them
local junkyards
ebay
craigslist

I like my LS S80 trans, gears are not to long at all. The GSR trans is the best for a street car IMO. Has slightly shorter 2nd and 3rd than the LS 1st 4th and 5th gears are the same. I cant really tell the difference in gearing from my LS and a 00 GSR I work on. For racing the ITR trans is by far the best. Stronger dual syncros, short gearing, LDS.

heres my stand point i have a b18b with a b16 trans. town driving its great on the acc highway like they say 4k rpm at 70 not great on gas.

Back