H22 OBD2 into OBD1car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accordguy

I had been doing months of reading on H22 swap for 4th gen accords and 5 gen accords OBD1 mostly but I have never really found any detail on using an OBD2 motor in a OBD1 car. I have A 95 ACCORD EX I know right off the bat I can use a p13 ecu only if I get a wire conversion but what about everything else. Do I need to switch fuel injectors other sensors etc. I need to know exactly what to do with this motor to get it run to in my OBD1 car any suggestions guys

Im pretty sure you can use your stock engine harness and just mod it, one of the things that arent going to be blug and play are any sensors or parts that have OBD specific clips/mating teminals.

Off the top of my head........ the dizzy is gonna have to be replaced with one of the corisponding OBD generation.

Quoted post[/post]]
I had been doing months of reading on H22 swap for 4th gen accords and 5 gen accords OBD1 mostly but I have never really found any detail on using an OBD2 motor in a OBD1 car. I have A 95 ACCORD EX I know right off the bat I can use a p13 ecu only if I get a wire conversion but what about everything else. Do I need to switch fuel injectors other sensors etc. I need to know exactly what to do with this motor to get it run to in my OBD1 car any suggestions guys
The obd1 p13 will plug right in to your 95 Accord with no conversion harness.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Ok did a little more research and determined the following for a OBD2 H22A into a OBD1 car (95 accord). Here what I have

OBD2 engine in a obd1 car
ex. 97+ H22a4 into 90-95 accord
You must get an obd1 ecu, obd1 injectors and obd1 distributor.
Got this info form another tech site but this info is somewhat vague. Hopefully you guys can fill in the gaps.

Here are my questions though which injectors do I use my 95 accord OBD1 injectors or OBD1 92-96 prelude injectors

Do I use a 92-96 prelude distributor or my 95 accord distributor? How hard in this conversion assuming the H22A has an external coil (which I think it does) correct me if I’m wrong please where as my 95 accord has internal.

Exactly what sensors do I need to change can I use my accord Map sensor or do I use the prelude map sensors in there a conversion I must do

what the real question is bro, why do u want to put an OBD2 motor into an OBD1 vehicle. i am not personally familar with obd 2 swaps but i can imagine that theres alot more that has to be done than just changing out certain parts.

OBD2 systems use an advanved type of diagnostics that can almost pretty much tell you anything wrong with you car down to a Tee. i dont know what sensors are going to have to but u can best believe that alot of them are going to have to be changed to work with you OBD1 vehicle

for one, obd2 runs on a totally different system. an OBD1 ecu and an OBD2 ecu have entirely different wiring harness and the plugs that attach into the ecu are different as well. you already have an OBD1 ecu harness in your car, therefore if you are going to run an OBD2 motor, your going to need and OBD2 ecu i would assume. if that is the case, your also going to need....(if they even make one because i certainly havent seen it).....an OBD1-to-OBD2 conversion harness. your also going to need an OBD2 ECU because im pretty sure an OBD1 ecu is not capable of running an OBD2 motor, i dont think they even make any ROM editing software to do something like that just because of how much more advance an OBD2 system is from an OBD1

as fas as your distributor is concerned, the H22 is an internal coil setup therefore if your 95 accord is internal you wont have to do any mods althought you WILL still have get the H22 dizzy because the accord dizzy and the H22 dizzy bolt in differently. One of the arms on the H22 dizzy that screw into the block is longer than the rest so you accord dizzy wont work.

like i said before . im not faimliar with this swap nor any other OBD1-to-OBD2, although im basing my assumption on what has to be done to get an obd 2 vehicle to work with an OBD 1 motor. which is alot more common.

MY $.02 cents

I dont think he wants to convert his entire car to OBD2. If you are gonna use an OBD2 motor, you will probably want to use an OBD1 dizzy and just swap your ecu to a P13. I really never understood why you would have to use OBD1 injectors. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that one. Basically, if you use an OBD1 ecu and harness, you are just gonna be missing some extra sensors that are on OBD2 cars, but it shouldn't really affect anything.

Quoted post[/post]]
what the real question is bro, why do u want to put an OBD2 motor into an OBD1 vehicle. i am not personally familar with obd 2 swaps but i can imagine that theres alot more that has to be done than just changing out certain parts.

OBD2 systems use an advanved type of diagnostics that can almost pretty much tell you anything wrong with you car down to a Tee. i dont know what sensors are going to have to but u can best believe that alot of them are going to have to be changed to work with you OBD1 vehicle

for one, obd2 runs on a totally different system. an OBD1 ecu and an OBD2 ecu have entirely different wiring harness and the plugs that attach into the ecu are different as well. you already have an OBD1 ecu harness in your car, therefore if you are going to run an OBD2 motor, your going to need and OBD2 ecu i would assume. if that is the case, your also going to need....(if they even make one because i certainly havent seen it).....an OBD1-to-OBD2 conversion harness. your also going to need an OBD2 ECU because im pretty sure an OBD1 ecu is not capable of running an OBD2 motor, i dont think they even make any ROM editing software to do something like that just because of how much more advance an OBD2 system is from an OBD1

as fas as your distributor is concerned, the H22 is an internal coil setup therefore if your 95 accord is internal you wont have to do any mods althought you WILL still have get the H22 dizzy because the accord dizzy and the H22 dizzy bolt in differently. One of the arms on the H22 dizzy that screw into the block is longer than the rest so you accord dizzy wont work.

like i said before . im not faimliar with this swap nor any other OBD1-to-OBD2, although im basing my assumption on what has to be done to get an obd 2 vehicle to work with an OBD 1 motor. which is alot more common.

MY $.02 cents

Quoted post[/post]]
I dont think he wants to convert his entire car to OBD2. If you are gonna use an OBD2 motor, you will probably want to use an OBD1 dizzy and just swap your ecu to a P13. I really never understood why you would have to use OBD1 injectors. Maybe someone here can shed some light on that one. Basically, if you use an OBD1 ecu and harness, you are just gonna be missing some extra sensors that are on OBD2 cars, but it shouldn't really affect anything.

Quoted post[/post]]

MY $.02 cents

I'm in the process of getting a H22 either USDM or JDM and I just want to know what my options are. Ideally I WOULD PERFER A 92-96 obd1 swap BUT THIS swap IS HARD TO FIND without having to resorting to paying a super high price I rather go private. I have been seeing a lot more OBD2 engines 97-2001 motors from private seller’s eBay forums etc and I just want to know how much harder it would be to swap this motor instead.

I have always heard the same info.

Use the stock harness, Prelude OBD1 dizzy and injectors. I believe you can rewire the OBD2 injectors, but it looks like a real hack job.

Keep in mind.......sell an OBD2 dizzy and you can probably afford the OBD1 dizzy, and same for the injectors. It might cost you a few extra dollars, but the hassle factor would be much less.

Of course use a P13.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Ok did a little more research and determined the following for a OBD2 H22A into a OBD1 car (95 accord). Here what I have

OBD2 engine in a obd1 car
ex. 97+ H22a4 into 90-95 accord
You must get an obd1 ecu, obd1 injectors and obd1 distributor.
Got this info form another tech site but this info is somewhat vague. Hopefully you guys can fill in the gaps.

Here are my questions though which injectors do I use my 95 accord OBD1 injectors or OBD1 92-96 prelude injectors

Do I use a 92-96 prelude distributor or my 95 accord distributor? How hard in this conversion assuming the H22A has an external coil (which I think it does) correct me if I’m wrong please where as my 95 accord has internal.

Exactly what sensors do I need to change can I use my accord Map sensor or do I use the prelude map sensors in there a conversion I must do

Just use your stock harness, an OBD1 ecu, just cut the obd2 plug off of the distributor and solder the obd1 plug on, same with the injectors just cut the plug off and solder on an obd1 plug, Also the alternator plugs are different. You can either find an obd1 alternator that fits or just cut off the plug and rewire it. I just put an OBD1 engine in my OBD2 civic and this is all I had to do. Very simple. If the engine came with a harness then you have all the plugs you need.

Isn't there a difference in the injectors peak/hold shits?
And I think putting an obd2 motor in an obd1 car is a perfect idea, i did it, it works great... and typically obd2 motors have less miles than obd1 motors.
Your $.02 kinda threw things off here, there isn't a lot to change out to make it work... as already mentioned.
Get obd1 Distributor/injectors/alternator obd1 p13 ecu...
The only thing im not sure on, is if you will have to use your old (obd1) injector harness clips.

Quoted post[/post]]
Isn't there a difference in the injectors peak/hold shits?
And I think putting an obd2 motor in an obd1 car is a perfect idea, i did it, it works great... and typically obd2 motors have less miles than obd1 motors.
Your $.02 kinda threw things off here, there isn't a lot to change out to make it work... as already mentioned.
Get obd1 Distributor/injectors/alternator obd1 p13 ecu...
The only thing im not sure on, is if you will have to use your old (obd1) injector harness clips.

Thanks for your guys for your posts the info is really helping me make a decision. Is it true that with a ODB1 h22 into a fifth generation car 94-97 accord Vtec only this swap is for the most part completely plug and play. If not what are the exact details. I know there is a 4 gen post but it for an lx model.

Back