H23 Wiring Harness work for H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Alright, well i JUST bought a 1992 Prelude Si, and as luck would have it the engine blew 2 days later. So now i have to put a new engine in it. I was originally gonna replace it with a standard H23a, but for the price my mechanic was quoting me, it was just as cheap to get a H22a. Here is the problem. The motor is JDM, and the guy i called at passwordjdm.com said that the wiring harness has about a 95% chance of being cut. Is that a problem because if im gonna get this engine i want to be able to use the vtec. I really dont know a heck of a lot about cars, but i know that the vtec system only needs 2 pin outs on the ECU (which is going to be p13). Will my old wiring harness from the h23 work, or will i have to spend another 680 on a new harness?

EDIT:
Oh, and will i need to get a new shifter cable, or will the one from my H23 trans work for an H22 Trans

EDIT2:
Okay so on page 8 of the search i found my answer.
I can use the H23 harness, but i have to run wires for the VTEC Pressure Switch, the VTEC Solenoid, the VTEC Ground, the ignition coil, and i have to change out the fuel rail from my H23. Since i had a problem with my EGR on my first engine i dont think i can transfer that one over.

I still need info on the shifter cable though, and if i have missed anything on the wiring for the new engine.

I did this when i had my prelude is real easy. H23 harness will work fine , just have the mechanic run the whires for VTEC. Everything else will work good to , but u might wanna invest in the h22 tranny , or later on down the road. I just preffer with that engines , the gears are longer and not as short as the short ass h23 gears.

Thanks for the info on the linkage. My mechanic told me something about ignition coil (i think) being internal and not external like on the H23. Does anyone know how to go about wiring that with the h23 harness?
And i do have the h22 tranny comming in. The old shift linkage from the H23 will still work in the h22 tranny right?

Originally posted by reikoshea@Apr 28 2005, 01:54 PM
The old shift linkage from the H23 will still work in the h22 tranny right?
[post=492655]Quoted post[/post]​

Yep.

Also, tab should be able to help you out with the wiring of the interal coil distributor. B)

HEEEEEEEEREEEE TAB...

:worthy:

If possible just link me to a thread that this has been answered in. The guy knows what hes doing and he just doesnt wanna screw it up (and i dont want him to either). He wants to make sure he has the wiring on the distributor and the ignition coil right. Also if i have not said something that needs to be done please let me know. I read something about a knock sensor (i dont think the h23 had one). So what needs to be changed for the motor to work. Its an H23 Harness, H22 Engine, H22 Trans. I have bought a new water pump and timing belt (grr cause i just replaced them before the old engine blew), is there anything else that needs to be purchase? As much detail, or links would be EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks for all your help.

lol...for 50 bucks more i can get the motor from hmotorsonline with the full harness...i make life too difficult. I still need to know what all i need to buy minus the waterpump and timing belt.

The H23 had a knock sensor.

At a minimum, you'll need to buy new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil and oil filter. Anything beyond that is up to you, since everything is easier with the engine out of the car.

by cap, you mean distributor cap right

and by rotors you mean for like the AC compressor and the alternator, not the brake rotors right?

Well see, this is why im having HondaWorks replace my engine rather than doing it myself.

Is the new distributor stuff more prevenative maintenance, or is it required?

Well i found out why you suggested that i replace those items.

In order to qualify for the warranty on hmotors you have to replace them.

It looks like everything is gonna work out pretty well...i have to pay an extra 50 bucks but i save a hundred and twenty five on shipping, so im doing pretty well. If my service guy runs into any problems ill be sure to tell him to look here yall (dohcaccord_vtec) really rock.

The distributor wiring is easy. You just find the hot wire and run it to the distributor.

They do go bad, so you can(I've heard) use the H23 distributor. Also, I have learned the hard way that you can convert from internal to external coil, but it takes a while.

My old H22 distributor went bad from sitting in my garage for 6 months. It was running when I pulled the motor. I had two F22 dizzy's laying around, and I found the housing shapes to be quite similar. Sure enough, the internals were the same bolt pattern, except the F22 was external coil. I dismantled the F22 and H22 distributors, and swapped all of the electronic pieces. I retained the H22 housing and shaft, since they were DIFFERENT from the F22 dizzy. It works fine, and has for about 4 months now.

Thanks a bunch tab, thats exactly what they needed.

One more stupid question from the peanut gallery though

I live in TX and *sniff* this was gonna be my first car with ac *sniff*, i can take the old ac compressor off my engine and put it on my new one...right :(

(And they are probably gonna have to do it with the power steering pump too, huh?)

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 1 2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks a bunch tab, thats exactly what they needed.

One more stupid question from the peanut gallery though

I live in TX and *sniff* this was gonna be my first car with ac *sniff*, i can take the old ac compressor off my engine and put it on my new one...right :(

(And they are probably gonna have to do it with the power steering pump too, huh?)
[post=493667]Quoted post[/post]​

With the right combination of mounts, you should be able to keep all of your accessories.

so by that you mean the old mounts from the h23 wont fit on the h22...they look similar but i think the exhaust manifold might be too long.

The exhaust manifold is not an accessory. By accessory, I mean something driven by a belt. You can use all of your stuff, but you'll need a different manifold.

lol i guess i should stop with all the elpisis crap (...s)

I meant that the exhaust manifold was too long so it would get in the way of the ac compressor. But i called the guy at hmotors and he said they had the same mount.

Tab you are right. If you are using the H23 wiring harness you can use the H23 distributor. The other thing you are going to need out of the H23 is the radiator hose elbow at the front of the motor that has a plug in it. Just make sure you use the H22 injectors. As for engine mounts I'm pretty sure I use all the same as the H23 with not problems on headers fitments or anithing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back