Having an issue @ 3500rpms while driving only.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Hey guys. I just got my z6 up and running in my rex, but when I took it out for a drive, it wouldn't drive past 3500rpms, much like ExclusiveImport's post.

Drive is emphasized b/c it has no problems reving up past 3500 while in nuetral. Only when it's in gear, i.e. driving.

I was throwing a couple codes, but after checking over my dizzy wiring(and finding/fixing one loose pin in one connecter), they all went away.... :confused: I don't get it.

I'm going to replace the IACV tomorrow (one of the codes thrown), just to get that out of the way. I'm going to drive it tomorrow morning and see if it's still happening, as I have yet to test it since the codes stopped blinking at me.

Current setup:
d16z6
boomslang ecu harness
virgin p28 ecu
re-soldered dizzy adapter wires
z6 dizzy

Anybody know whats up?
Thanks

-Andrew

Just a quick thought- If needed I can get a video of it, or of anything, so just ask if you think it might help.

Video.

Video. Click here

Video is in 3rd gear.
When I shift(ed) to second, my engine light came on. (doesn't come on when trying to check codes(no codes being thrown), or in first gear, only when i shift to second and up.)
It hit the 'mark' and I pushed the clutch in, then revved up and let the clutch out just under the 'mark'. basically the motor shakes back and forth, and will NOT let you speed up past that 3500rpms.
It's like when you bog it at low RPM's ... the motor rocking back and forth.

Gotta get some help!
-Andrew

Last edited:
Some guys on H-T said I'm running in 'limp' mode, and suggested checking my ecu wires, dizzy wires, and resetting the ecu and trying it again.

I'm kind of concerned. the car is normal until I do the following:

-Dump the clutch in first. the check engine light will come on, but as soon as I shut the motor off and go to check codes, it's gone. NO codes are present.

-Shift to second in normal driving. check engine light turns on, but like ^, when I go to check it out, no codes are present.

I'm gonna go reset my ECU and take it for another drive. I'll probably take another video, just longer and try and get that shifting to second light coming on.
-Andrew

Better Video

I've reset the ECU and checked the wiring to it. I see no problems.
Still cutting off power/fuel @ 3500 rpm's, as clearly seen in the video.

Lets get some comments!

Thanks
-Andrew

just cuz it doesnt show on you dash doesnt mean its gone. at least i dont think so. your obd 1 now right. how did you wire your cel wires? did you wire them up for the dash cluster to ''blink'' like the old ecu? or do you have to manually hook the wires for the cluster to blink. It definitly looks like like the limp mode to me

Yep I'm obd-1.
The codes blink (CEL) after I jump the two wires under the passenger side dash(the little blue plug).
How do I get out of limp mode?

I'm gonna just check all my fuses and wires tomorrow evening.
My HG should come in tomorrow, so that'll be my priority.

-Andrew

check your codes, and list em up. Some CELs don't put the ecu into limp home mode, others do. let us know what it's throwing.

Before the light stopped coming on, this is what it was throwing.

9, 14, 15, 16, 22

I gotta run and can't list them out, but thats the best I can remember what it was throwing.

-Andrew

damn.its definitly not limp mode.
--9 is N/A
--iac valve
--ignition output signal
--fuel injector system
-- vtec oil switch

yeah youve got problems.14-16-22 sound simple enough though. I'm free all day today if you need some help. call me

Last edited:
Back