Help formby make a buying decision

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i mean, how many here have owned a car more than 5 years? i know i havent.

the accord i had for 3 and crashed
the altima ive had for 6 and still have it[not for long]

so we are planing on keeping this car until it just stops runing or its in the same condition as the altima[we'll take better care of the civic than the previous owner did with the altima]

if you need more than 5 years, wait and save.
anything more than 60 months on a car loan is rediculous.

VW Beetle - Owned 4 years then sold
1990 Integra - Still own after 7 years
04 xB - about to sell it but it's not mine
00 Civic Si - not mine, but he's owned it for 7 years. :p
07 Fit - Just bought will own till it breaks beyond repair. ;)

if you need more than 5 years, wait and save.
anything more than 60 months on a car loan is rediculous.

CRX = 10 years
EDIT: Oh no shit.. 11 years. It's 07 now.

I've owned for multiple years (But I don't right now)
1979 Celica lift (6 years)
1981 Celica GTA (7 years)
1987 Supra (5 years)

If you want her to have a true understanding of what bills are, make her sit down with you while you pay them. Sit down with her and show her an account print-out to put her spending habbits right in front of her. Calmly explain how this is effecting your financial situation as a couple. I tried making my woman be financially responsible by making her pay bills, it failed after years. This method worked when I did it once.

Thank you.

I think doing that would be a significant mistake at this point. I know you really want something nice, but be patient and I guarantee your patience will be rewarded if you stay financially diligent. The only way to get ahead is to stop living to the edge of your means. With the "edge of your means" mindset, it doesn't matter how much money you make because you'll still always be broke. Why, you ask? You still buy all the same things, you just spend more money on them. Instead of buying the $20 shirt, you buy the $80 shirt and so on. I know people who literally make six figures, own their homes, have a lot of nice stuff, take tri-annual vacations, and still have to live paycheck to paycheck. It's ridiculous to make that much money but have to seriously budget and sacrifice to buy a $1700 P.A. system...real example from one of my friends.

What you do with your money is entirely your choice and doesn't effect me one way or another. Just giving you food for thought. :)

:):)

they have'nt called me back from the bank...
&
the more i think about it the less i like the idea.

you made great points blanco;) and i will take your advice [as well as the others] and sleep on it.

but i need to do something about the nissan^_^^_^

now i have to go home and take the dvd and 2*10" subs out of the montero and install in civic, because i wont spend another 100 bucks a week on gas... dx from here on out. no more riding high for me... ohh wait!

Ok this is what I’ve come up with.

I called the bank and told her to forget it.
Simple I need to have at the very least 1-2 months of pay saved. Then I can decide what to do. fathers avice

My father is a financial advisor, so is my sis and bros’ [go figure] I’m the black sheep. Any way

He had an uncompromising talk with me and told me to stop living like I used to. [He disowned me when I dropped out of college] and to start worrying about my future because the bus left along time; ago and I’m alone [bus= his help with school and anything in between]. This is while he’s in Boston enrolling my little brother in BU. And my b-day is in 8 days.

So

I will do the following:

Buy a
Valve cover Gset
Oil pan gasket
New gas filter
Oil change [duh]
Plugs
And rear view mirror glue
Trans flush [drain and fill] synchromesh?
Tires are a yr old [one blow out so one is newer]

The clutch will have to wait [might not even do] but the money I save from giving the Montero back to my mom AND the fact that the wife will drive the altima -10 miles a day will help out. Ohh and I’m driving the dx to work.

So that’s it FUCK IT…..

Ill clean up the Nissan so the wife can drive it, keep the dx until I can do the swap with taco? And I;)

discuss

get a cheap car, but dependable. Then put everything into gettting a house. I didn't think i could get one but I did with a credit score of 602. When I got my house I got a mortgage broker at first. He pulled my credit report and showed me some tips to quickly boost my credit score about 20 pts in 4 months. After all the mans hard work to help me I found somewhere else to get the mortgage, no brokerage fee, but the broker will help with credit score to get the commision on the morgage. Now days you need a credit score of about 620 to be aproved

went this morning to the bank... my dept ratio is @53% which is 3% over what they want....

7.25apr
68 or72months
they want anothe 1k down on top of what coggin gave me for the altima 1.5k
payments in the $300+/- 10
and my insurance premium will go up by 688 in six months... but i turn 25 in 9 days and alot of violations come of my record

7.25 is very decent for a used car loan.
68 or 72 months is refreakindiculous.
More money now is less paid in interest.
insurance premiums of +688 is rediculous as well.

DO NOT DO IT. Get some cash, buy a car. Outright. This Civic is going to put you back ~$415 each and every month for 68 months. The car + insurance increas is going to cost you $28,220 by the time you are done paying for it.

I know you have car buying fever right now, and its very difficult to get someone off of that track. Why dont you delay your decision by 6 months. But for that 6 months, put that $1000 down and $415 into a savings account. Make the payments to your savings account, on time, every time. In 6 months time, you will see how that car really fits in your budget, real world style. And, you'll have 3.5k in the bank for a heftier down payment, which will equal less interest paid. Hopefully though, you will have gotten yourself out of this buying frenzy, and will go pay cash for a decent used car. $3.5k. Clean. Clear. no insurance premium increase. no payments.

This will put you in a much, much better position to go house shopping.

This is my 2 cents. Hell, this is my $24,780. Think about it.

how many miles are on your altima?
is your timing chain making noise yet?

how many miles are on your altima?
is your timing chain making noise yet?

ohh yeah man its been making the noise since we bought it. 20k+mls... it has 136k. it has silenced its self :ph34r: a little:huh:

this is one of the reasons i wanted to get rid of it.

7.25 is very decent for a used car loan.
68 or 72 months is refreakindiculous.
More money now is less paid in interest.
insurance premiums of +688 is rediculous as well.

DO NOT DO IT. Get some cash, buy a car. Outright. This Civic is going to put you back ~$415 each and every month for 68 months. The car + insurance increas is going to cost you $28,220 by the time you are done paying for it.

I know you have car buying fever right now, and its very difficult to get someone off of that track. Why dont you delay your decision by 6 months. But for that 6 months, put that $1000 down and $415 into a savings account. Make the payments to your savings account, on time, every time. In 6 months time, you will see how that car really fits in your budget, real world style. And, you'll have 3.5k in the bank for a heftier down payment, which will equal less interest paid. Hopefully though, you will have gotten yourself out of this buying frenzy, and will go pay cash for a decent used car. $3.5k. Clean. Clear. no insurance premium increase. no payments.

This will put you in a much, much better position to go house shopping.

This is my 2 cents. Hell, this is my $24,780. Think about it.

Can I send you a current state of my finances and get some out of the box advice? Damn... I suck with money...

ohh yeah man its been making the noise since we bought it. 20k+mls... it has 136k. it has silenced its self :ph34r: a little:huh:

this is one of the reasons i wanted to get rid of it.
just do the chain and tensioner with the other things
the oil pan gasket is gonna be a pain in the dick if i remember the exhaust routing correcttly on the these, but your rust /snapping bolts might be totally different in FL than NY

ok!
no problem. knock on wood 3x

Last edited:
Yep. It's honestly not that hard to remove though. What, three bolts holding the B section to the A section, two bolts holding the B section to the cat, and I think two more nuts for the exhaust manifold hanger.
in my experience, at least one of those, if not more, would snap during removal
god bless NY salted roads and corossion

Back