1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with turbo

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Mischief_Maker, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Mischief_Maker

Mischief_Maker Junior Member

I got a stock 99 gsr and was wondering what I should do about a turbo. I've looked through the posts and have seen the pro's and con's of a "kit". But I dont have much experience with turbo's and a kit seems pretty easy. I want to keep the stock internals for now and I want to be able to run it on 91 octane pump gas. If I do get a kit, what kit would be best and what else besides the components included would I need to get for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. highlife

highlife Senior Member

well the kit come with all the hardware to the turbo, bov,fmic,piping,turbo,

turbo timer and boost controller,
    but beside that u dont really need anything else to have a safe turbo charged car.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

really, it depends on the kit. each includes their own shit. some have fuel management, others don't, others have shitty attempts at it.

for a stock block, the "best" is really not what you want, cuz you'll never be able to support the potential that it could make.

moreover, 91 octane limits you a LOT.

I wouldn't consider running any more than 6 psi on that with an fmu or vafc hack... and maybe up to 10 on a hondata system.... but even then, it depends.

the key to a turbo setup, is fuel. with more air, you need more fuel to combust with it.

else, your block will look like this in no time at all....

[​IMG]

4. kyleirwin

kyleirwin Retired OG

the best: http://www.full-race.com/
    made five hundred some odd HP on a stock gsr over a year ago and still runnin' strong.

5. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Time really means nothing. How many miles have they put on that GSR? A year for me is about 30,000 miles. Think a 500 HP, stock bottom ended GSR would last 30K miles? Probably not.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted