HI YA from Okinawa Japan.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

if you want it quick and easy cars that exist here have a much better chance of not getting caught.

ie. import an older evo and swap the vins from a mirage.

i thought about that too, but when i posted it on here earlier i was being facetious,lol. 92b16vx i think got that when i said it, but still he warned against it too. i was thinking about a vin from a wrecked car and just rebuild it and then do the mods and register it as the wrecked/salvaged. true it may work and it may bite me in the ass, but still i think it not be as bad as a skyline. the skyline dont have the safety equipment to add like a civic does. i can order the bumper braces for the civic.

also a little more info for the shipping in cars that i have found out. its easier to ship a car over if it has a US version. will keep updating on what i find out. but still i hope so if not ill cut the damn car in half myself and ship it back in boxes through UPS,lol.

i thought about that too, but when i posted it on here earlier i was being facetious,lol. 92b16vx i think got that when i said it, but still he warned against it too. i was thinking about a vin from a wrecked car and just rebuild it and then do the mods and register it as the wrecked/salvaged. true it may work and it may bite me in the ass, but still i think it not be as bad as a skyline. the skyline dont have the safety equipment to add like a civic does. i can order the bumper braces for the civic.

You're not getting the picture here. A) It doesn't matter because there's no approved US version of your Civic here, B) You can do the mods to attempt to bring it up to DOT standards, but they will not care one iota, the mods HAVE to be done by a registered importer that is licensed to do them. Since you're going to get screwed on that if they catch you, might as well not waste the money.

Here's the VN list ...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

Same 1989 Honda Civic DX hatchback is still the only Civic on it. Trust me, the military will NOT ship a car that isn't approved.

are you a military personal? do you have a TMO there that you can talk to? no? im talking to TMO and the place that does the other info for the civic. they told me to talk to TMO because the vehicle registration place i went too today told me that the car should be able to go back. stop being so negative, dont hate on me because if they approve it i get to have a real JDM civic,lol. seriously tho. the registration center told me that i can disassemble it send it back in my houseing stuff.

A vehicle that was not originally manufactured to conform to all applicable FMVSS cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless it is first determined by NHTSA to be eligible for importation.

this means cars such as a SKYLINE. civics are all over the US. you need to worry about your own riends trying to get illegal cars back in the US. not a guy that is trying to get a civic. and yes the 98 civic is a car that is already in the US.

this site.
Importation and Certification FAQ's Directory--Import Eligibility Petitions doesnt do anything for me since my car is already part o the lineup back in the US.

All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 1996,
and before September 1, 2002, that, as originally manufactured, are
equipped with an automatic restraint system that complies with
FMVSS No. 208, and that comply with FMVSS No. 214;
my car has this too. the automatic restriant is where the seatbelt tightens when brakes are implied.

thanx for your warnings and what not but ill keep finding out the info here in okinawa from the military. they are the ones sending it back not you, so if they say no then ill tell you the reasons why. besides the military has its own list of cars that can or cant go back to the US.

are you a military personal?

United States Army (Retired :) ) and researched this to death as I had access to a lot of bad ass cars in Germany that I'd have loved to have take back.

do you have a TMO there that you can talk to? no? im talking to TMO and the place that does the other info for the civic. they told me to talk to TMO because the vehicle registration place i went too today told me that the car should be able to go back. stop being so negative, dont hate on me because if they approve it i get to have a real JDM civic,lol. seriously tho. the registration center told me that i can disassemble it send it back in my houseing stuff.

One thing I have learned, if they don't make the rules, they don't know the rules. The registration center may have some ideas they think are good, and legal, but there's a lot more to it than they know apparently.

Here ...

List of Registered Importers

That's a list of registered importers, find one in, or close to your state and give them a call. They will explain the whole thing to you, hell, you might find one that will import your Civic.

United States Army (Retired :) ) and researched this to death as I had access to a lot of bad ass cars in Germany that I'd have loved to have take back.

One thing I have learned, if they don't make the rules, they don't know the rules. The registration center may have some ideas they think are good, and legal, but there's a lot more to it than they know apparently.

Here ...

List of Registered Importers

That's a list of registered importers, find one in, or close to your state and give them a call. They will explain the whole thing to you, hell, you might find one that will import your Civic.

you think if im gonna pay all that money for a car to get shipped(if the military wont) that im gonna get the same car? im gonna get a type R from one of the sites i found,lol.

you think if im gonna pay all that money for a car to get shipped(if the military wont) that im gonna get the same car? im gonna get a type R from one of the sites i found,lol.

I was almost willing to do it for a DOHC ZC CRX, so why not a RHD Civic :p

I'd think you'd have better luck trying a Type R Integra, not a Civic, simply because there was a USDM Type R Integra.

I was almost willing to do it for a DOHC ZC CRX, so why not a RHD Civic :p

I'd think you'd have better luck trying a Type R Integra, not a Civic, simply because there was a USDM Type R Integra.

the SiR hatch im talkin about is on an importer site. they have the cars already in the US registered RHD as well. you just pay for them. the EK9 was 10,000usd.

+1

I've seen quite a few "importer" sites that are in Japan, those are irrelevant as you'll be screwed once it hits US shores. If it was that easy than the price of the parts from these cars wouldn't be nearly what it is, as people could just import the whole cars, you'd see them all over. I'd bet that a good 85-95% of the Japanese OEM cars on American roads are black-gray area cars, mostly gray.

Last edited:
Honda / Civic Type R - Japanese used cars exports and Japan car import / 1996

this is the site. i may have been mistaking on them being in the US. but the way they was saying on the page was the cars are registered in the US. i dont know if they are that price shipped to the US. but they are not that expensive here in Japan. i got my civic for less then 3500 and it only had like 70,000KM on her. so the type R civic here is like 5000. but i guess they are that price shipped.

Honda / Civic Type R - Japanese used cars exports and Japan car import / 1996

this is the site. i may have been mistaking on them being in the US. but the way they was saying on the page was the cars are registered in the US. i dont know if they are that price shipped to the US. but they are not that expensive here in Japan. i got my civic for less then 3500 and it only had like 70,000KM on her. so the type R civic here is like 5000. but i guess they are that price shipped.

That site is from Japan, and it isn't a dealer, it's a centralized classifieds that hooks you up with dealers/individuals, you still have to get a registered importer to do the transaction, and conversion.

lol, my bad. i tried. either way those cars are not the expensive here. my buddy got a integra Type R for a little over 4,000. this is due to honda being less popular here. those stupid little turbo kai cars are more expensive then a honda here.

Last edited:
lol, my bad. i tried. either way those cars are not the expensive here. my buddy got a integra Type R for a little over 4,000. this is due to honda being less popular here. those stupid little turbo kai cars are more expensive then a honda here.

Well price is also supply and command. There is no demand there so they are cheap. Over here people would pay easily 10k for one. Two guys at my work have ITRs. One is selling his mint, stock, with 50k on it for around 16k. I wouldn't be surprised if he got close to that for it.

hence why i want to bring my EK back. you know how awesome that would be to drive down the street and pull up next to some chick in a RHD and talk to her without having to roll down the passenger side window,lol.

:werd: only its a civic that you are driving on the wrong side of

RHD in a LHD country is more of a pain in the ass than the assumed "coolness" is worth

Back