How deep in debt are you?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

don't get me wrong paying off your card every month is good,

but to establish credit it's not the best route to take. you need to demonstrate that you are responsible and able to carry a balance and still make timely payments.

a house appreciates. If you can sell it for a profit, is that really debt?

Same for the cars. I make myself feel better by rationalizing that I owe $30,000 less on my house than it just appraised far and I owe less on my wife's SUV than similar vehicles are selling for.

The nearly $6000 in credit card debt, however, I cannot rationalize and its drives me nuts. Especially when it was at $0 less than 2 years ago

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 7 2004, 02:44 PM
Instate tution for me is 17k for the first year (since you have to stay in the dorms) then if I move off campus, its 13-14ish. College is a rip off :) :p
[post=399573]Quoted post[/post]​

yea that about how much i payed last year when i was in the dorms (out of state) then i changed my major to get instate tuition and moved out of the dorms to an apartment for this year.

i get instate because of my major because theres this program where if your major isnt offered in your state then you get instate tuition. so i switched to mechanical and aerospace engineering (dual major) because that dual major program isnt offered anywhere in Maryland so i qualify for instate :). ill end up staying in college a year or 2 longer but it will save money in the long run and i graduate with 2 BS degrees :)

~3500 on 2 credit cards : 2500 on a MC because I had to pay for my own schooling last quarter, and wasn't able to fill out the fafsa in enough time to register for the classes I needed. 850 of that is for the bicycle I use everyday to get to school, and the rest is whatever random junk I bought. I can almost never pay my bills on time, being at a crappy job and being full time student sucks. I also pay electricity, water/trash,gas, dsl/phone, and cell phone, also, almost never on time, but they do get paid.
The good news. I get out of school in june, and base salary for junior aerospace engineers is around 5k a month, and only goes up from there. With only this years schooling coming from loans, I should be out of debt by next year's end. Then the credit rating goes back up. I won't even want to do any big spending until I've been at the new career for at least a year. I hate being in Limbo...

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Oct 7 2004, 08:33 PM-->
asmallsol
@Oct 7 2004, 02:44 PM
Instate tution for me is 17k for the first year (since you have to stay in the dorms) then if I move off campus, its 13-14ish. College is a rip off :) :p
[post=399573]Quoted post[/post]​

yea that about how much i payed last year when i was in the dorms (out of state) then i changed my major to get instate tuition and moved out of the dorms to an apartment for this year.

i get instate because of my major because theres this program where if your major isnt offered in your state then you get instate tuition. so i switched to mechanical and aerospace engineering (dual major) because that dual major program isnt offered anywhere in Maryland so i qualify for instate :). ill end up staying in college a year or 2 longer but it will save money in the long run and i graduate with 2 BS degrees :)
[post=399831]Quoted post[/post]​

Good luck with the Aerospace engineering, I started in a class of about 200 freshman, and this year, there will be about 80 graduating with the B.S. Aero. But I love everymoment of it.

Damn Clayton if you can put down $40k you could find a nice little gem in wallingford

That's the area I'm looking at...

In regards to debt:

You will be in it someday regardless of the steps you take. Unless these steps land you outside of society, living on the streets.

Rich men have debt, poor men have debt.

With common sence debt can be made to work for you. Notice in all of my listings the only irrational number up there is the CC's. Of course since I run a small business on the side (god bless america) I get to collect from Uncle Sam a genrous portion of this debt back each year.

One way to look at this:

I will die.
Should I die with a million dollars in my pocket?
Or a million dollars in debt?

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Oct 8 2004, 04:18 AM
Good luck with the Aerospace engineering, I started in a class of about 200 freshman, and this year, there will be about 80 graduating with the B.S. Aero. But I love everymoment of it.
[post=399982]Quoted post[/post]​

even if it doesnt work out, i can drop the aerospace part and just do strictly mechanical. (but im gonna try for the whole thing) but by that time, ill have lived in this state long enough to get instate without the major, lol.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Oct 8 2004, 02:44 PM
That's the area I'm looking at...
[post=400136]Quoted post[/post]​

We could be neighbors.

shit all you guys pay 250-300 grand for a house worth no more than 100-145. Thats why it pays to build your own im gonna have a 3200 sq foot home (including basment) with a nice sizes 50*20 foot shop built and it comming in att alttle over 65 for the build costs.

For a nice lot in my area, you're looking atleast 100k....

Hell we sold some property of ours last year for 100k for 3.4 acres with water but no sewage and electrical.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Oct 9 2004, 05:21 AM
shit all you guys pay 250-300 grand for a house worth no more than 100-145. Thats why it pays to build your own im gonna have a 3200 sq foot home (including basment) with a nice sizes 50*20 foot shop built and it comming in att alttle over 65 for the build costs.
[post=400462]Quoted post[/post]​

You've got to keep in mind most of us here live in CT, one of the most expensive states to live in and a home that sounds similar to what you want to build goes for

WALLINGFORD, CT 06492
4 Bed, 2.5 Bath
3,184 Sq. Ft.
$424,900

Link to realtor.com showing Wallingford Property

land in ct is 5 times the cost of land in canada, im sure.

a 1 acre plot here goes for 40-75,000 USD alone. for a plot of land, with NOTHING but trees on it.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 10 2004, 04:35 PM

a 1 acre plot here goes for 40-75,000 USD alone. for a plot of land, with NOTHING but trees on it.
[post=400874]Quoted post[/post]​

I know how that is. Since there really is no land left in my city (6x6 sq miles with 100,000 people) the really old houses are the only houses left with land. People around here will buy the house and the land for 250,000+ then knock the house down and build a new one. The land alone is worth 150,000 an acre since there are so little left in the city.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Oct 10 2004, 07:48 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Oct 10 2004, 04:35 PM

a 1 acre plot here goes for 40-75,000 USD alone.  for a plot of land, with NOTHING but trees on it.
[post=400874]Quoted post[/post]​

I know how that is. Since there really is no land left in my city (6x6 sq miles with 100,000 people) the really old houses are the only houses left with land. People around here will buy the house and the land for 250,000+ then knock the house down and build a new one. The land alone is worth 150,000 an acre since there are so little left in the city.
[post=400980]Quoted post[/post]​

Shoot. I live on the central coast cali. The house I live in is a shack, the lot isn't that big, and my landlords have been offered around .5 million for the lot and the house, just so they can knock it down and build a 3 apartment complex. I guess people think there is still gold in the ground here. :blink:

No credit, and no debt at all.
Tuition is taken care of by the gov't
I pay my insurence, but aside from that the only things i have to pay for are just general livings costs. Im thinking eventually to build up credit ill have my girlfriend co-sign on a card for me. I would go it alone but for most of the year my income is unreported (i work at my family's resturant).
Rent is free for the time being, but fortunatly my girlfriends grandperants are building a house for her soon so well either live there or rent it out and use that for living closer to our schools.

i now have a big fat freakin car pmt :) never been happier to be in debt, lol

Back