How do you know if an Auto tranny is Going dead?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

What happens when your automatic tranny is going dead? I have a prelude 2.3 1993 and the tranny starts vibrating violently at idle, but on the highway is fine. Soemtimes it even stalls! Does anyone know?

I tried the search engine, but that thing is so flooded with garbage that I can't even find anything related to an auto tranny.

Originally posted by preludude@Jun 26 2004, 04:30 PM
I tried the search engine, but that thing is so flooded with garbage that I can't even find anything related to....

:werd: somebody needs to fix that shit

Originally posted by tab@Jun 26 2004, 04:49 PM
How do you know that the tranny is vibrating and not the engine?

Because I hear the tranny side vibrating something loose on that side. And its the kind of vibration you get when you stall a car. Only this is an automatic.

Originally posted by preludude+Jun 26 2004, 07:43 PM-->
@Jun 26 2004, 04:49 PM
How do you know that the tranny is vibrating and not the engine?

Because I hear the tranny side vibrating something loose on that side. And its the kind of vibration you get when you stall a car. Only this is an automatic.

If you seriously think that the tranny is going bad, then just buy another. IMO, they're not worth rebuilding. I bought my tranny on Ebay for $177.50, plus shipping. $302.50 including shipping to my door. Thats an H22A auto tranny w/LSD. Or I have a very used Accord tranny I'd sell you for cheap. It was in perfect condition when I removed it a couple months ago. I'd go for the H22 tranny if I were you, or even swap to manual, if you had the urge before. The LSD is sweet when it rains. I can give the car a lot more throttle in the wet than before.

Usually a tranny slips when it goes bad. I haven't seen an automatic tranny drag down engine speed yet. Especially at an idle, the torque converter allows the engine to spin freely, almost seperate from the tranny. I'm not a tranny tech, so I'm not gonna offer any advice, besides changing the fluid, and making sure the starter isn't dragging down the engine.

Oh okay thanks alot for your reply, I appreciate getting an answer, since this forum is rather difficult.

One other quick question. When the tranny slips, that means youre not gettting the power from it right? You hit the gas and it wont pick up immediately?

Originally posted by preludude@Jun 27 2004, 12:04 PM
Oh okay thanks alot for your reply, I appreciate getting an answer, since this forum is rather difficult.

One other quick question. When the tranny slips, that means youre not gettting the power from it right? You hit the gas and it wont pick up immediately?

yeah, I mean when you hit the throttle, the car gets no power or less power to the wheels. Usually, first and reverse go out while the other gears still work fine. Then the rest of the gears stop working shortly thereafter.

I've blown out at least five automatics. Not once did they cause my engine to stall. More like, you could rev your engine to the sky while in gear, and the car doesn't go.

One other thing. Honda automatics are built differently than other makes, so there's a funny little quirk I want to mention. If you do blow out first gear, and need to get home, start the car rolling with the gear shifter in the D2 position. For some reason, when you take off in the D2 position, the car actually grabs second gear, instead of starting in first and shifting into second. Worth mentioning.

sounds to me like your engine is running like shit (probably a misfire) and you have a bad engine mount, if not a few bad mounts.

Assuming your tranny isnt slipping.

One other thing. Honda automatics are built differently than other makes, so there's a funny little quirk I want to mention. If you do blow out first gear, and need to get home, start the car rolling with the gear shifter in the D2 position. For some reason, when you take off in the D2 position, the car actually grabs second gear, instead of starting in first and shifting into second. Worth mentioning

Ya my crx used to do that before I converted it to stick, you could feel it shift when you went from drive to d2.

Oh okay, thanks for all the replies. Its nice to actually get some sort of help here.

Come to think of it, I think it is the mounts, I changed the front mount to reduce movement, so the tranny mount might have gone too because of that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Back