How much boost

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Rich777

Hey guys ive just rebuilt my b16b with b18c5 pistons to lower the c/r (its around 9.2:1 - 9.5:1) ive also used arp rod bolts and head studs. Ive got a turbo kit which ive made my self for it with a Garrett a.r.60 m11 turbo. Ime wondering what hp or psi i could reliably run ?

too many variables here to say "x psi will be reliable"
tuning is going to make the biggest difference there
cylinder pressures should be a slight concern with that compression level
if i were you i wouldn't push the car past 250whp at the VERY MOST, even that power level can be shaky with shady tuning

With a bassiclly stock bottom end 7psi would be about the maximum to stay on the side of caution. 9psi would be about the most i would run with that setup.

I'm going to be using ectune as management on a p28. I'm thinking i mite just take it to 7psi or 250 hp max and running it a a touch rich to be on the safe side.

bhp is measured on an engine dyno basically
with your transmission on, thats what is now called SAE NET HP
used to be SAE Gross HP, which would be with all of your accessories driven by an outside source
now it is SAE NET HP
so yes, bhp is going to be a little more than whp. since it is reading at the flywheel/transmission input shaft rather than at the wheel

most tuners are going to want to tune your car on a rolling dyno, not an engine dyno

Last edited:
Boost is just a number you will have to run to make 250hp. Do you have a turbo compressor map for that turbocharger? If so plot your p/r and airflow rate:cfm (Y and X axis graph) to find exactly where the turbocharger will be spooling up/surge limit/turbo airflow limit etc. compressor map will tell you @ what percentage of efficiency the turbocharger will be running at.

FYI try looking here for info
Turbonetics, Inc. | Industrial and Performance Turbochargers, Intercoolers, Boosting Systems, Controls and more | Keeping You Cool Under Pressure

Welcome to TurboByGarrett.com

Last edited:
Back