how much nitrous is too much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a customer with a 205 wheel HP sleeved 84mm motor running 12,8:1 on Toda Bs. The car also has a direct port nitrous setup that we just tuned. High compression loves nitrous, and the thing made 322 whp and 310 lb/ft of torque on a Mustang Dyno. Ignition timing is key for survival.

A thicker headgasket will move the head further from the block, thus reducing the effectiveness of the quench areas. This will make the car more detonation prone as the combustion chamber won't be as efficient. I wouldn't do it!

well i'm not plannig on raising compression AND running nitrous. What it boils down to is should i go high compression and keep building the all motor beast. OR stay with my current compression and sparay a 75 direct port. With the money issues i was just gonna raise the compression since it would be cheaper and less things to worry about than nitrous. I'm waiting for my mounts from Formby to transplant the LsVTEC into my other crx.

i got a buddy that went to school for some high performance engine technology class thing... he told me the rule of thumb is that dont go over a third of the total HP your car is putting out and then you'll be in the safe zone.... and yeah further more... DO NOT use the giggle gas unless the engine is well above around 3,500 RPM at the least... i've see what happens when people hit the button way too early... my buddy had (key word: HAD) a TSI... wow.... that was not pretty.... pretty funny anyway....

i got a buddy that went to school for some high performance engine technology class thing... he told me the rule of thumb is that dont go over a third of the total HP your car is putting out and then you'll be in the safe zone.... and yeah further more... DO NOT use the giggle gas unless the engine is well above around 3,500 RPM at the least... i've see what happens when people hit the button way too early... my buddy had (key word: HAD) a TSI... wow.... that was not pretty.... pretty funny anyway....

wow its funny you brought my thread back. I have still been pondering about it. Not to long ago i was told of a volvo turbo at a nearby junkyard that supposingly has no shaft play and is in good condition. I figured i could lower the compression just allittle more and run about 5psi. All i want is 250-300 hp. But i was once again steered away by the downtime and cost of having someone else put it together. I then wanted to see how much power i could get out of my motor N/A. and realized it would be too much money to not hit 250WHP.

Then i saw my friend do this with his bone stock K20 on stock ecu. I knew then i could do the same if not faster since i 'm pretty sure my motor is doing the same power.

Enjoy

Video - A couple vids of my hatch.

NITROUS IT IS!!!!!!!!

i have an example of how much nitrous could be safe. 1998 nissan frontier motor in a 1970 datsun 510 chassis, carbed, forged bottom end (pistons/rods/chromoly rings) direct port wet........200 shot all day long. no problems

a tool? what does that mean? well if and when it does, then it does but for right now its been running consistent 12's for the last 6 months. actually, the new set up, we installed a single turbo system on it and it now pulls low 11's (raw power) at 10psi.......and still tuning................

Not only are you brand new, and insulting people (different post other than the one quoted) but you are also wrong at the same time. Great way to start off.

How bout you read up on the oxidation effects of nitrous helping turbos spool up at low rpms and then still tell me its a bad idea to spray off the line. Ask drag racers (yeah, i want you, an import guy, to talk to the camaro guys at the track) when they hit the bottle at the track. Im willing to bet they all say, "IM SPRAYIN RIGHT OFF THE LINE, BRO".

Nice try on callin people out and bringing back an old thread. your 0 for 3 today.

hey not trying to insuly people (didn't know that i did) and he never said that he had a turbo untill after i posted that so sorry guy... i'm not retarded i've read more books on building motors and how to books than most of the people on here have, not trying to say anything by that, and by the way... the all out drag guys are a little different than the import guys that drive their cars on a daily basis...

taco man isn't running a turbo, your friend with the talon was. thats why i called you out on the nitrous turbo thing.

you can read books on how to build engines all you want (god knows thats where i started) but until you have the crankshaft in your hand wondering how that damn main bolt stripped itself right out of the block, there is not a whole lot you can say in that kind of situation.

Eventually you have to lean towards the experienced for assistance (which we all have learned...). When i was tearing down my buddy's Pontiac 400 the main bolt thing happened to me. I had to call a friend of mine that builds jr fuel engines before we finally figured out what we were going to do.

You somehow managed to press a hot button yesterday (don't ask me which one) and i apparently felt the need to call you on it.

In all fairness though, put down the books, find a big crowd of import fans, and put your book learning to use. While books are good, doing it first hand is better. We've all been where you're at, and you're off to a good start. Don't get too defensive over criticism. We're all in this together.

Back