How Much Of This Do You Need...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

Just as info, and curiousity.
How much HP to the wheels on a 97 Prelude, do you need to beat a Yamaha R6 bike?
Because it would be hella fun seeing the face of the guy on the bike, seeing you stick by his bike.. :D :D :D

Anyways, if anyones or have a idea?!?

600 cc? I think I read an article that said with 300+ you can comfortably out accelerate a sport bike from a roll. Don't ask me where I read that though, I think it could have been somewhere off the hondata site.

Hmmmm, well I could be geeky, and tell you to find the weight and power of the bike (f and g), the weight of your Lude (h), and use a ratio to give yourself a good approximation of the horsepower you need (j): f x g = h x j

Thanks dohcvtec_accord :D

But do you think it's possible to out run a bike? in acceleration? maybe not top speed. But at lest follow him from up close? Do you think with a good set-up thats possible?

I think you'd almost have to be turboed, or have oodles of weight shaved off your car. I mean, I can beat my brother when he's on his 600cc Yamaha V-Star, but that's a cruiser, not a sport bike.

dohcvtec_accord i'm trying to do your mathematic calcul to see if it could give a good number... :D
F = Motor Weight 357Lbs
G = Motor HP 123hp

H = Prelude 97 weight 2,954Lbs
J = Needed HP, to smoke the bike...

357(F) x 123(G) = 2,954(H) x J

Sorry! i don,t remeber that kind of mathematic... :D i look stupied now... ;)
Can you help me out?

Hmmm, that doesn't work out too nicely does it? I suppose you'd have to figure out a torque/weight ratio as well. Damn, this hurts my brain too much....must....not...think...about...physics....at....work...

LOL. given those numbers

I set the total bike weight to about 450 pounds.

so, 123 hp/450 pounds = x hp /2954 pounds.

to get the same power/weight ratio.

that turns up about 804 hp. But it doesn't really matter, since you have to factor in gear ratios, torque, momentum, wind resistance, all kinds of shit.

WOW! with 804HP that would be a fucking crazy lub!!!!! That would be totaly nice.
But like you sayed you have the gear ratio, and everything else to consider.<

but i'm sure with 600Hp to the wheels, it could be a good race agains a bike!

I had fun today at work, i calculated how much hp i need in my car!!! :D :D :D :D
That was a nice day..would like the days to be like that more often.. :D

thanks guys!

basicly your not gunna beat an R6 easily
a bone stock 2001 R6 runs 11.0 @125mph
the new R6 is lighter and has more power

Yeah i know, it's gonna be hella of work to beat a R6 or even a R1 bike.
But that would be totaly nice! I bet a 600CC or 750CC bikes are kind of easy to be with a good Turbo set-up.

it's kinda of a dream beating a bike, because beating a porsche on a race already did it! :D

the R1 runs a low 10 with no mods

its somewhat common to see them well into the 9s and still compleatly streetable for normal riding

there arent too many streetable 9 sec hondas running around out there

you can beat a bike from a roll with far less horsepower. (ie from 45->100). 1/4 mile forget about it.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 23 2003, 01:36 PM
you can beat a bike from a roll with far less horsepower. (ie from 45->100). 1/4 mile forget about it.

i dont know, they can drop it down to like 16 grand and flywheels like you would not belive.

As far as cheap speed, bikes are the way to go. The suzuki Hybussca runs a sub ten second quarter mile, top speed of 200mph right off the show room floor and you can find used ones for under 10k. They are so bad ass. However, a 1300cc bike is not the best bike for a Noob

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 23 2003, 03:15 PM
The suzuki Hybussca runs a sub ten second quarter mile, top speed of 200mph right off the show room floor

It's Hayabusa i believe

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 23 2003, 02:36 PM

youve got a better chance off the line than from a roll
you might beat one 45-100 if he stays in 6th the whole time but thats about it

it all depends. And no, you don't have a better chance from a stop. The inertia a car has is much higher than a bike. At speed the momentum advantage of the car may help even out the playing field a bit. Off the line, the bike has to overcome almost no weight.

I'm also not defending it like I have done it before, this is just speculation. Hold off breaking out the torches here. lol :p

Back