How to get more suspension travel on your CRX

?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Calesta+Jun 3 2004, 07:05 AM-->
hcivic.com
@Jun 3 2004, 01:02 AM
the othee option is to lower the shock downward 1.5 inches

If you move the whole shock down, how would it help? Your car would still sit at the same ride height unless you moved the spring perch location.

Yea, some people grind off the brakeline bracket (damper fork stopper) and move it up the shock body.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 3 2004, 12:58 AM
Not bad! Now just make sure to size your bump stops properly so you don't slam the chassis on the ground all the time.

im still thinking about this, i STILL dont know what a bump stop looks like or how it works.

<---never pulled suspension apart :(

all i know is that my car is on aftermarket shocks and springs already. ground control coilovers (400 front / 250 rear) with progress struts. at least 2 of the struts are blown so im replacing them all with the illuminas. how should i size the bump stops? what size should they be set to? what if they are already cut?

Do the math... look at your control arms to see where the mounting points are for your shocks, then figure out how much shock travel you need to just set the bottom of the car on the ground (or to bang the top of the tire on the wheel well), then cut your bump stops to the right length.

:)

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Jun 3 2004, 11:23 AM-->
@Jun 3 2004, 12:58 AM
Not bad! Now just make sure to size your bump stops properly so you don't slam the chassis on the ground all the time.

im still thinking about this, i STILL dont know what a bump stop looks like or how it works.

<---never pulled suspension apart :(

all i know is that my car is on aftermarket shocks and springs already. ground control coilovers (400 front / 250 rear) with progress struts. at least 2 of the struts are blown so im replacing them all with the illuminas. how should i size the bump stops? what size should they be set to? what if they are already cut?

A bumpstop is a eurethane bushing on the shaft of the shock to keep the shock from bottoming out completely. It's harder than your springs, so when the car hits a big bump and the bumpstop has to stop the suspension travel, there is a bone jarring bump that stops the suspension travel. AKA bumpstop. :p

AHH THat's, why my car seems like its going to break if I hit the tiniest bump in the road. <_<

You must be riding around on your bump stops all the time. If you shorten then a bit, you'll gain a bit more suspension travel before you bottom out on them.

well I took my bumpstops out and blew out a tokico blue in about 2 weeks. Anybody know a cheap place to get new stops?

i just got my shocks and GC top hats today :) pics soon to come. shocks are tokico illuminas. but i have a question about the bumpstops. the top hats look like they have bump stops on them, and the rear shocks look like they have them too. but not the fronts. im so confused as to what i do with all these and if they are bump stops on both..... :blink:

edit and the bumpstops on the top hats wont come off, and the ones on the rear shocks seem to not wanna come off either....

The rubber pieces on the top hats are there to allow the shock to pivot some in the upper mount position- you need them there. A completely solid mount wouldn't work, since the shock pivots some through its stroke. Leave those there. They're not bump stops.

You should have separate bump stops (loose) for your shocks. They install right onto the shafts, below the shock body.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 10 2004, 05:26 PM
The rubber pieces on the top hats are there to allow the shock to pivot some in the upper mount position- you need them there. A completely solid mount wouldn't work, since the shock pivots some through its stroke. Leave those there. They're not bump stops.

You should have separate bump stops (loose) for your shocks. They install right onto the shafts, below the shock body.

no im not talking about the big rubber thing. the peice im talking about is on the inside of the tophat and the shaft runs through it but doesnt really drag on the shaft. the shocks came with similar things on the rear shocks but are harder and much harder to move up and down the shaft. in height the ones on the shocks are smaller then the ones from GC. should i keep the GC ones? and how come only the rear shocks came with these peices and not the fronts? im confused....

s40c8ec6f8b2a7.jpg

heres a pic of the shocks.

They're sitting on top of the shock body, not the top hats. The top hats are the little black things you use to mount the top of the shocks to the body of the car:

top_hats_med_03.jpg

Those yellow things look like bump stops to me. They should slide right off.

I don't know why you only got them on the rear shocks. Maybe they just decided that the particular shock application needed them. Who knows?

you still didnt get what im saying, lol i know bump stops are on the shock body, the things that came with the ground control top hats fit inside the tophat itself. so it would be on the top of the shock body :) but i dunno what i should use, the illumina ones, or the ground control ones? the ground control ones are softer and bigger then the illuminas..

Oh, ok. I was just pointing out what you circled in the picture. :p

It's really up to you on which stops you want- I would use the stiffer ones, but if you think you're going to hit them often (I never do), then you might want to use the softer larger stops. If and when you do bottom out, you'll have a more progressive halt to motion than a stiffer bump stop would allow you to have- it's less harsh that way. I just want the stiffest piece that will keep me from killing my shocks.

ok, im just not sure about how much i should cut them. tokico says for lowered cars to cut them 1/2" maximum. but i dont know if they mean to cut them to 1/2" thickness or cut 1/2" off.

You just answered it yourself- are there marks that say half an inch or is it just half? Most people cut their bumps straight in half- I did when I installed my KYBs. Follow that rule and you'll probably be fine.

ok thanks mike, ill just use the ground control ones and cut them in half. since i only have 2 of the tokico ones, lol. but lemme tell you when they are one the #5 setting, these things are fucking stiff! i could barely push it down. they arent even installed yet and me likey :)

Well, your car will be able to compress them much better than your body weight can. Pushing on it yourself is no good way to tell.

:)

I think you'll like it though. :thumbsup:

yea i definitely cant judge without them on the car. but i need to get my ass in gear. i still need to finish painting the rims, get them mounted and then put the shocks and top hats on. lol, im such a lazy ass.

Back