How To: Wire your own OBD-0 to OBD-1 Distributor Wiring adapter.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You didn't read my post correctly.

I acknowledged that the wire colors are different. That much is clear to anyone that follows this thread. What I'm saying is that you can completely ignore the wire colors and look at the pins. You have the pins wired incorrectly, or at least it appears so if I compare the pins on my OBD0 distributor connector to yours.

Also, the chart doesn't help me with the two white wires because both of my white wires are the same size.

My OBD0 distributor plug connector came off a 89 Civic wagon AWD that has a D16A6 engine.

If you would like, I can post a picture of my plug connector. All the wire colors correspond to the chart and you can compare my pins to yours.

well... idk whats up. I'm pretty sure I got my wiring correct, but then again, I don't have my motor in to check it... so it's very possible I'm wrong.

This write up is wrong I followed ur wiring diagram and it was wrong car didnt run at all so consolted a friend and he made it right for me now my car runs Ill post up pics and the right wires code to follow...

I used this diagram and my car wouldnt start I just got home from a 14 hour work day so maybe thursday i will look it over and send u the wire connections ok thanks for the help tho

Your welcome. I'm very sorry if it misled you any.
The main point of the thread was to just show how to actually connect them, not nessesarily to follow my exact wire colors(because for some reason my wires are different colors than reg. obd-1 connectors.- I had 3 to look at, so I got it right, but it's just different colors than anyone else I guess.).

Again I'm sorry if I misled you with this post!!! It sounds like you got your car running with the aid of your friend though. Thats the most important thing!
-Andrew

hey andrew another way you could do it is... soldering the obd0 connector from the obd0 dizzy to the obd1 dizzy..correct?

Yeah, I guess you could re-pin a dizzy connector to obd-0, too.

I will probably eventually repin my obd-0 plug into an obd-1 one(on the harness), but have to figure out how to get these stinkin pins out. I tried it a little bit, but didn't want to damage the wires/pins/connectors.

well couldnt you just cut the female connector from the obd0 dizzy and solder it onto the obd1 dizzy swapping which ever wires you need to.
I guess it would be cleaner to depin the obd0 connector and put the pins into the obd1 connector.
my problem is I cant find a obd1 connector anywhere around where I live.

Last edited:
Good write up!

Concerning the replacement of the plug on an OBD1 dizzy with an OBD0 piece (or vice versa), I believe the actual pins themselves and\or wire gauges are different between the distributors\harnesses. Merely re-pinning in this scenario may not work properly. I may be wrong, I don't have any parts in front of me to check this out, I just remember thinking about something like that when I swapped a Z6 into my 89 CRX Si and used RyWire's OBD0-OBD1 VTEC harness for the conversion. I'm pretty sure a jumper harness like this one is the most practical thing to run as it is plug n play, removable, and time efficient.

Back