Hypocracy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGProject

YEEEEAAHHHHH
Cell Phone Ban?

This is completely stupid. Though there is a small chance this will pass, the point of the bill seems inherently flawed. Now, I'm no cell-phone freak teenager, but I do from time to time use it on the road. The fact the I could be pulled over for the use of a phone isn't what bothers me.

What bothers me, is the fact that some politicians and interest groups are ignorant enough to blame the weight of teenage driving accidents on cell phone use - and not on driver skill. I am a teenager, so naturally I don't have the ability to drive and do something else - but a 40 year old can. Right.

How about the masses of clueless adults glued to the cellphone whilst driving thier 5,000lb Tahoe down the highway? Or how about the slew of soccermoms too busy talking to thier PTA friends while driving to notice your lowly Civic pulling out of an intersection?

I think cell phone use by drivers should be looked at as a whole, instead of pinned on the proverbial teenage scapegoat.

word...cell phones dont kill people people talking on them do.....while driving of course...

i dont think the bill should pass...but i do think people should be more carefull driving; specially while on the phone.

A new way for America to blame its youth's videogames/cellphones/skateboards/cars for its problems? This bill will fly through like they always have!

its already illegal for anyone to use a cell phone while driving in NY, not just teens...

University of Utah researchers found last spring that teens and young adults on the phone while in a driving simulator reacted as slowly as elderly drivers not using a phone.

so what does this say for the elderly?

If they ban teens from talking on phones while driving, they should ban all elderly drivers. It's only fair.

I'm all for it.

- 14% of all deaths due to motor vehicle accidents are teen drivers.
- This age group makes up 7% of licensed drivers, but suffers 14% of fatalities and 20% of all reported accidents.
- Traffic crashes are the leading cause of teen fatalities, accounting for 44% of teen deaths in the U.S.

Once you lose your learner's permit and get your driver's license, in no way are you done learning. The fact of the matter is, a 40-year-old has decades of experience in driving, while a teenager has a year or two, if he's lucky. Limiting the number of distractions while learning is a great solution. True, a 35-year-old soccer mom may not be the best driver in the world, but she does have experience behind the wheel, and that accounts for alot more than a teenager who, while maybe being a skillful driver, lacks real-world experience in dealing with weather conditions, fellow drivers, and other factors that must be dealt with while operating a car. True, there's no objective way to determine what the cutoff age should be to determine when someone is "learned" in how to safely operate a motor vehicle, but the 3 or 4 years spent as a teenager is a good start.

All cell phones should be banned while driving. I never answer my cell in the car (unless I'm on the highway). People need to learn to focus on driving while driving, not on whatever else they're doing.

you could always do what they are going to do in tx. 18 for a license bitches. i would have had a problem with it when i was 16, but now after being hit twice by 16 year olds...i see the wisdom.

It's illegal in CT, NY and Massachussetts too (Well, everything is illegal in MA)

They had no difficulty passing it in any state, which surprises me. But, truth be known people only put the phones down when they see a Crown vic.

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 21 2005, 10:42 AM
It's illegal in CT, NY and Massachussetts too (Well, everything is illegal in MA)

They had no difficulty passing it in any state, which surprises me. But, truth be known people only put the phones down when they see a Crown vic.
[post=557670]Quoted post[/post]​

actually, its not illegal in MA. CSi works hand in hand for the Sturbridge State Police (IT work) and i figured i'd ask since im on the damn thing all fucking afternoon with clients and shit.

its actually not the talking thats really dangerous, and what they can catch you for...

its the receiving calls, dialing numbers, and/or those evil text messages that get you...

back in the day when i was 18 and first got a cell phone (first in my family, lol) i let me dad borrow it, and i called him to see what time he would be stopping by and he rear ended some lady cause he was trying to answer the phone...
no damage, but a good lesson to those old people... or anyone i guess

Originally posted by reckedracing@Sep 21 2005, 10:52 AM
its already illegal for anyone to use a cell phone while driving in NY, not just teens...
[post=557637]Quoted post[/post]​

goes into effect in CT oct 1st.

hands-free only

You know, they should ban chrashing all together.. Its dangerous and often leads to unhealthy things, like death.

I think they should enforce a driving test every year after your 60.

As for cell phones, we should burn them all.:rawr:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 21 2005, 11:50 AM-->
reckedracing
@Sep 21 2005, 10:52 AM
[post=557637]Quoted post[/post]​

goes into effect in CT oct 1st.

hands-free only
[post=557675]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:
shit is fucking hillarious... its only illegal to hold the phone to your ear while driving... speaker phone or a hands free headset is still perfectly fine
its stupid... oh so its only the act of holding a phone that is illegal... not the actual conversation that is distracting you from what is going on around you... lmao
more accidents are caused by people adjusting the climate controls or radio than by cell phones... so whats next no more radios???? no more climate control????
what about the large number of accidents caused by people who are distracted talking to their passenger??? gunna ban passengers???

flat out it is FAR to easy to get a license in this counrty
and once you have it there is no further checkups on your abilities

i think we need to go more towards how it is in germany
a license costs 2000 euro (about $2500)
the test is 2 weeks long... and they test you in every driving condition available in that time... highway, back road, city, day time, night time, rain, snow, whatever

and im not sure if they do this there or not.... but i think you should have to take a writen test EVERY time you get your license renewed, and a driving test every other

it amazes me the ammount of people on the road who literally dont know what the fuck they are doing

i hate how everything has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator... idiots keep burning themselves on hot coffee... so eventually we will only be able to get luke warm coffee in this country... it doesnt matter that you can handle your hot coffee... and its not about teaching the fucktard that keeps burning himself the right way to handle coffee... and there is no way that fucking moron is going to say "hey maybe i shouldnt be drinking hot coffee"... so it will be ruined and taken away from the rest of us, to accomodate the brain dead fucker that cant handle it

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Sep 21 2005, 11:08 AM
so it will be ruined and taken away from the rest of us, to accomodate the brain dead fucker that cant handle it
[post=557696]Quoted post[/post]​

America!! FUCK YEAH!

I think all teenagers should have to take a defensive driving course - at the expensive of the driver, or the parents in order to get a license. I took a course about a month ago at Weymouth at InControlADT, and it was worth every penny. Not only did I get to meet some of the folks there (who also autocross), but I was able to experience wet weather defensive driving, and I managed to beat the shit out of an Altima 2.5S...

I personally think they should pass a national bill making it illegal of ANYONE to operate a cell phone while driving. Make it safer for everyone.

Back