I got free motor!!! WHOOHOO

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

djyox

Yeah I grabed a free motor that a buddy of mine was giving away, its a Ford small block 302. I plan on putting in about $6000 to push that motor up to 500hp. blown and over bored. Its almost compleat, its in parts right now, I've got almost everything ecept pistons and connecting rods, push rods, and the pully acc. Looking at droping her into a ranger or something, I do have the tranny also. So, just got it today and haven't even really touched it, plan on droping it off at a neer by shop to start the show on the road! I don't have an ranger. But thats the only really light ford I can think of...but maybe you guys can give me ideas of some cars to drop it in...maybe even will sell it rather than build it. Who knows? What do you guys think?

I have no idea....if you know how to tell by looking at it I can run out and check, however I do know that it did come out of a mustang, although this is what I was told, I don't know for a FACT....let me know.

Is it Fuel Injection or carb?? also if its from a mid 80's-95 mustang it'll say HO or 5.0 on it somewhere, probably on the intake manifold.

If its a 5.0 FI, the manifold will look like this (without the cobra logo)

s3f4fec7d7ef57.jpg

then nope, not a HO, i've seen a sho ho intake but thats about it, its just a normal 302...but I've got high hopes.

Why would u want to put it in a ranger, they look :ghey: . i would drop it in a F150 4x4, take the fenders off, small lift w/ stiff ass suspension, and jump that shit. 500 hp is enough to climb some bad ass hills with that thing

I'm not into that 4x4 crap anymore, I wanna drag it just because my dad's buddy owns/drives a top alcohol funny car. and so know of the places to go and what not, and learn more about all the good stuff.

Then why put it in a ranger. get a mustang, you can find plenty of 87-93 stangs for sale. most of them are either 4 cyl. or v8s that have been driven to hell. either way you can find one cheap, probably under a grand. if its 4 cyl it'll take a little mod to fit the engine mounts but other than that you could have a lot of $$ to put in tha car. Plus those stangs are hella light and with the right suspension setups they have tons of potetnial. Getting them to hook up is the hardest part. that years of 5.0 's came w/ 225 hp stock, and stock they will beat a lot of cars, u just gotta be good at the take off( with 500 hp, and suspension work u could runn good times!!)

head ever to nissantech.com then look up datsun 240-280Zs 2400-2800lbs depending on what model you get RWD and IMO look sweet Mmmmmmmm

also for swaping motors to V8s check out www.hybridz.org

look around and you will get an idea of how fast the car will be as with how much work it takes

I know with 350s they make bolt up kits so all you do is drop the motor/tranny in the car

Jeff

Yeah thats nice, 280Z. those are fuckin bad . I've seen a couple with 350's in em and they haul ass. V8+Big carb+big ass cam+Bore .60" over+light ass car+Flows=Honda killer and nice ride

240 weighs about 2400 as with the 2800 being 2800ish

Yeah thats nice, 280Z. those are fuckin bad . I've seen a couple with 350's in em and they haul ass. V8+Big carb+big ass cam+Bore .60" over+light ass car+Flows=Honda killer and nice ride

come race me I would love to hand your ass to you

btw I've owned a 280ZX Turbo running 15PSI stock is about 6

I also had a Corvette motor I was going to drop in it

4 bolt main step up cam pistons performer intake 4bb carb should have put down 280 horsepower pretty easy with it being close to a stock motor

I sold the motor for twice what I paid and if my Datsun had the 350 in it and tried to race my honda.... well it would have got its ass kicked

why don't you try to ebay the motor and see what you can get if nothing then use it in whatever you find around your area that is the cheapest

I guess it just depends, of course if ur honda runs 10's then no shit the z would probably lose, but most hondas that are swapped run 12-13 and probably have arond 200 hp. a Z, with 350ci and probably around 400 hp, 400 tranny w/ shift kit, 4:11 gears or something around there, would be running pretty damn fast.

Originally posted by djyox@Aug 29 2003, 07:56 PM
Yeah I grabed a free motor that a buddy of mine was giving away, its a Ford small block 302. I plan on putting in about $6000 to push that motor up to 500hp. blown and over bored. Its almost compleat, its in parts right now, I've got almost everything ecept pistons and connecting rods, push rods, and the pully acc. Looking at droping her into a ranger or something, I do have the tranny also. So, just got it today and haven't even really touched it, plan on droping it off at a neer by shop to start the show on the road! I don't have an ranger. But thats the only really light ford I can think of...but maybe you guys can give me ideas of some cars to drop it in...maybe even will sell it rather than build it. Who knows? What do you guys think?

drop that bitch into a 2nd gen rx-7

you can get a shell for like $300

BEAST!

Zs are VERY HARD to break into the 10s VERY VERY VERY
even with 500+ WHP

also just so you know in order to get an older Datsun Z to break the 150MPH mark it takes about 400HP

I've been into Zs for a good 6 years now

Blah. It's probably an old truck engine... DO yourself a favor. Get some good aluminum heads, a good FI setup off an 87-93 Mustang ($100 or so, COMPLETE), and drop it in a 4 banger coupe. Those cars are pretty light, and with a 300 Horsepower engine, can be running low 13's pretty easily.

Rangers are quite a bit HEAVIER than Mustangs, BTW. Probably 300-500 pounds.

There is NO custom work that needs to be done to fit a 302 into a 4 banger mustang. Just use the stock 5.0L motor mounts and drop it in.

Back