I need to put a new engine in my 88 crx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zreisinger

I am trying to do whatever takes the least amount of work. I would like something that doesn't need mods. I bought an 88 CRX and the head is shot, so I figured I would just replace the whole thing and was wondering if anyone here could tell me the easiest one to do. I do believe that is is just a regular CRX, not si. I don't know the stock motor size and wanted some help on a swap. I don't want any more power than is already there. I just want a stock CRX. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first Honda so I don't know much about them but I do have general knowledge of motors and cars. Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from all of you on this topic.

if you want what is in there, then just buy a stock engine. there are import companies that sell engines. check online and find something local.

I know it isn't an Si. So I guess it has to be an HF. Also I don't know the engine code for it. I do know that I have been reading alot and the D16z6 seems to be very popular for these cars, but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of aftermarket parts for it. So if anyone knows what the stock motor is in this please let me know. And if you know where a good place to get one for cheap. I am not trying to put $1000 into it, its just a car to get me from point a to point b for now. Maybe I will do a bigger swap one day but now is not the time.

I am going to get the car tomorrow. I do believe it is the lowest grade CRX that they made in 88. I'm sorry I don't know much about these, I was a DSM guy for a long time but I am getting out of that because parts are getting way too expensive. I will let you know as soon as I do. I do believe it is MPFI. But either way if it is DPFI what would be a direct swap and need no mods? if it is MPFI whats the best in your opinion? Like I said I don't want to have to move motor mounts and all that, I would like to pull my motor and bolt another one in directly, any ideas?

the listing says CRX Si - $700 (Charlotte) and it looks like Si to me (i think i can see the sunroof)

Last edited:
As you can see someone pointed out the obvious to me, lol. It is an Si. SO that being that case just a few questions.

If I get the ZC, will I need a new tranny with it or can I use the one that is in it?

Do I need to do anymods to the wiring harness if I get the ZC?

And also what else will fit easily without modding the Wiring harness or motor mounts?

As you can see someone pointed out the obvious to me, lol. It is an Si. SO that being that case just a few questions.

If I get the ZC, will I need a new tranny with it or can I use the one that is in it?

Do I need to do anymods to the wiring harness if I get the ZC?

And also what else will fit easily without modding the Wiring harness or motor mounts?
ZC bolts right in using your transmission, mounts, ECU, etc. - the most you would need to do is swap your engine wiring harness onto the ZC - the SOHC ZC is essentially the same as the D16A6 that came in the Si, just has a little more horsepower - for a little more money you could get a DOHC ZC, which also bolts right in like the SOHC ZC - you would need to make a minor wiring change at the distributor when using the Si engine harness on the DOHC ZC

you would need to use the 88 Si flywheel and clutch with the 88 transmission

Last edited:
Do you know anywhere to get the stock D16a6 motor? Also have been hearing alot about the B16 motor. Will that fit with the tanny I have and the wiring harness I have?

stay away from that car. it has bad news written all over it. if you have $1500 to spend, find something else. there are other options out there.

Why do you say this is bad news? I have already seen it and started it, it sounds fine. No knocking or anything. If you could let me know why this is a bad car?

I am in Charlotte, NC. How much do you want for the swap? And you know FOR SURE this will bolt directly into my car with no mods?

Back