i THINK my ostrich fried my ECU

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
That's lower than anything I have(35W and 45W), when I was using the braid and the 35W iron, it took a little while for the solder to melt. The 45W is pretty quick; just press it against the solder, and like in 1 second the solder melts.

yeah i wasnt completely sure so i just got a lower one to give it a shot with low risk, it works pretty good, same thing as you, within a second it puddles.

and actually i think im starting to get the hang of it after tonight, i used the tips you guys gave me. i think i was too slow to use the vacuum and i wasnt getting it into the solder enough. i guess i just imagined it would pick it up alot better, but anyways, i got it to work, i desoldered a 32 pin chip on a pm6, i got all the holes open, but the chip is still kinda stuck. should i just use a little love/force to pry it out, or should i try something else first? maybe try and desolder them again? i know i sound like a bitch, but im trying to do it the right way cause i got 13 boards waiting to get chipped so im taking my time trying to do it right before i screw up someone else's.

and just one more question here, you do actually touch the solder with the tip, or do you heat the little bit of pin sticking out and wait for the heat to make its way down to the solder. whats the safest way? im switchign from side to side constantly to keep the heat down as much, i read that from someone else too, this is a good practice to keep doin right?

again thanx for takin the time to pass on some tips, really made some progress with it tonight! i appreciate your patience very much! :)

I've heard not to actually touch the solder to the iron, but I've done it with succes before. I've never however had to solder on a pcb, only wires, so it was not a big deal for me. It may be a more delicate procedure on the pcb. I'm sure of it, actually.

Back