IB Spec intake really works!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
This is on my car, after Jeff was done tuning it this Monday in Houston. The only difference between the two sets of lines on the dyno is his new IB Spec intake system. Both intake systems were short rams- no cold air crap here.

dyno_jeff_intake_med.jpg

You can see the huge increase in torque through the mid range. It's pretty amazing. Email Jeff for more info- these intakes will be in mass production very soon, available in both short ram and cold air setups.

the "intakes" link on their site doesn't work

do you have any pics or pricing info on it?

what was the other intake that you had on for the baseline test?

I don't think it's available for mass sale yet, and pricing definitely isn't set yet either. I think he was talking about something around $200 or so for a complete system, but you'll have to ask him to be sure.

Jeff has asked me not to take any pictures of it, so I haven't. I'm not going to show it off so people can copy it before he gets it out on the market.

The other short ram I had for the baseline was my basic 3 inch mandrel pipe with a humongous 8 inch long K&N cone filter on the end. You can't see too well in this picture, but it shows the pipe I'm using:

swap20011022-08-TN.JPG

Just imagine the filter being a red K&N that's twice as big.

Oh yeah- Jeff's intake used my same pipe. :)

so if you used the same pipe than the 5 hp and 9 lb/ft of toque came from just a filter?

Mike, your engine bay is a mess.

But none the less, if thats just from a filter, hmmm... damn

Intake manifold means intake manifold, this is an air intake system.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jun 23 2004, 01:39 PM-->
impressive

:D

Originally posted by driver1@Jun 23 2004, 01:46 PM
so if you used the same pipe than the 5 hp and 9 lb/ft of toque came from just a filter?

Yes and no. :lol:

If you look at the mid range and not just the peak numbers, you'll see gains of up to 10hp. It's a HUGE difference. I think the maximum power increase was just over 10hp in the mid range somewhere, about 6000rpm. It's the shape and overall height of the curve that really matters, not just the peak numbers.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 23 2004, 01:59 PM
Mike, your engine bay is a mess.

But none the less, if thats just from a filter, hmmm... damn

That picture is almost 3 years old... it's the only shot I have online of my engine bay. It's even more cluttered now!

The gains are from the intake design- not the filter... although I guess you could say it was the filter. Either way, his intake system is superior to a conventional short ram and cold air setup.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jun 23 2004, 02:06 PM
my guess is intake system means intake manifold??

92b16vx
@Jun 23 2004, 03:49 PM
Intake manifold means intake manifold, this is an air intake system.

Yup. Intake system, not intake manifold. Basically, you would buy this instead of an AEM cold air intake, Injen, or other aftermarket intake system.

hhmmm... idk if i'd drop around $200 for a filter and what I would guess to be some type of cold air extension. Don't get me wrong though, the posted gains are impressive for an intake system.

Originally posted by Import R@Jun 23 2004, 04:01 PM
hhmmm... idk if i'd drop around $200 for a filter and what I would guess to be some type of cold air extension. Don't get me wrong though, the posted gains are impressive for an intake system.

No no no... his price would be for an entire intake system, including all piping, fittings, filter etc- what I used is just a few pieces of the new intake system. His retail intake system will be everything in front of the throttle body, not just some cheesy cold air extension... and like I said before, what I was using was still a short ram system- not cold air.

im not sure what setup you are running, but will this be avalable for b series swaps into ef/ed? if so will it require battery relocation?

but CAL said Jeff tuned it also. so my guess is that the tuning did a lot more than just a basic change in the intake, right??

Originally posted by Guy+Jun 23 2004, 04:29 PM-->
im not sure what setup you are running, but will this be avalable for b series swaps into ef/ed? if so will it require battery relocation?

B18C in an EG sedan. Based on how the intake is built, I think it would be able to work as both a short ram and a cold air in an EF/ED with a B swap.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 23 2004, 05:22 PM
crazy numbers for JUST an intake

does he make one for boosted cars?

I'm sure that he will- we were discussing the design of the intake, and it should help on boosted cars as well.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Jun 23 2004, 05:27 PM
but CAL said Jeff tuned it also. so my guess is that the tuning did a lot more than just a basic change in the intake, right??

I said that the tuning had already been done... there were a few minute changes in the fuel maps between the baseline run with the stock intake and the last run with the IB intake, but not any significant changes- he was just smoothing out the curves a little bit to get a more consistent graph. The shape and size of the power/torque curve didn't change- they just got a little smoother. All the major tuning that would have made any difference was done before the intake was put on.

Go read my post again- the only difference between the two runs was the intake itself, not the tuning.

B16
@Jun 23 2004, 05:38 PM
that is just fucking tits

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Guy@Jun 23 2004, 04:29 PM

Hi Guy, you know thats a good question. I don't know about EF's, you woudl have to probably move the battery to the side a little, instead of having it perpindicular to the front, maybe have it at a 20 degree angle so you could fit a 3" short ram in there, then I think you could make it work.

It even works on liberals cars, like yours Guy! Its a non-partisan pipe buddy. lol.

have a nice day man. Don;t worry, I will hook all you guys up on hondaswap, nobody will pay retail from there for that.

Also, guys...it was freaking 96 degrees at the dyno and probably 98% hunidity (it was raining) I don;t know how you guys dyno in that heat, your HP is way down in that weather. Probably 10 more in dry, cooler air, easy.

Ill make sure Guy gets the first one I test on an EF.

Guy, can you get me before and after dyno graphs?

Jeff

Back