1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IE7 not too bad?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by xj0hnx, Aug 13, 2005.

1. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Apparently the latest FF has some issues with sucking up system resources, and running at 99% CPU usage. So today I decided to give IE7 beta a try, and it's not too bad. If only it wasn't from the offspring of satan :(

[​IMG]

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

too bad it still doesn't support proper standards, nor png graphic deals... nothing... still worthless

3. xj0hnx

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

I had a few problems with FF till the newest version came out. running sweet now.

5. xj0hnx

Yea, it runs ok, but it will have fits of 100% CPU usgae, just kills everything.

6. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

ive never had that issue...

7. xj0hnx

I've seen few people experiance it over on on the Fedora Forum, myself included, and not just in Linux.

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you say azereus does that, and now firefox too?

i think its yoru system man-- you need more ram or something, or your version of linux doesn't have good memory management.

9. micah

micah Senior Member

i have the same issue with ff every now and then. or sometimes i will close the window and the window will actually close, but my pc runs really freaking slow. ill ctrl=alt=del and check resources and there is still a ff process running even though there are no open windows. close it out and everything is dandy. doesnt happen often enough to piss me off though :p

10. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Fedora == not so good. Try Debian if you want a good package manager (aptitude is way better than the lame Fedora update thing) or Gentoo if you don't. I don't see FF issues on either XP or Debian sarge install so I am not sure what is going on there.

IE7 has some pretty major issues and the top of the list is not actually standards. There was an excellent article on slashdot.org two weeks ago explaining many of the security issues with IE7, as soon as I find it I will post a link.

11. xj0hnx

2048MB is plenty and no, I said Azureus kills my internet, not my CPU. I have it configured in Linux and Windows to run decent, still slows interent, but not as bad.

Eric, Sarge and Gentoo don't play nice with my hardware, FC does. I have tried about twenty distros, and it is the only one that supports EVERYTHING, with no hassle. Also from what I have heard about Gentoo, even though it is way powerful and fast as hell, I hear you pretty much have to compile everything, which I doesn't sound like fun to me. And I use yum to install, and update, that way I can control dependency issues, and repos myself, I don't use the RH updater.

Anyway, I got lucky, and was able to duplicate what I am talking about....

[​IMG]

12. lsvtec

When was the last time you tried Debian? Sarge has gone stable and etch (the new testing distro) has added a bunch of hardware support. What hardware are you trying to work with?

13. xj0hnx

About two weeks ago I tried installing Sarge stable version. Asus mobo, Radeon ATi X800Pro, Nvidia chipset, ethernet (big problems there), IMRI monitor. I forget the exact problems something about my ethernet card always, sometimes issues with my monitor, half the distros I tried just don't believe I have a mouse, serial, or USB. Yopers didn't even believe I had a keyboard. FC...just works. Suse and Linspire are close, but Suse hates my monitor, and Linspire doesn't like my ethernet, though I can run Knoppix, and suse live pretty issue free also.

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

36megs of ram... whats the big deal? mine is at 60mg right now (have a couple windows open)

15. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

I'm digging Ubuntu , debian based.

16. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

i love internet explorer. i love windows xp. :eek: :D

17. xj0hnx

I couldn't get Xorg configurated on my machine for some reason, just errors telling me it was never going to work :(

B, yea, but it is using 99% CPU, everything comes to a grinding halt.

18. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

oh, i didin't even notice the cpu usage....

19. lsvtec

Did you try Etch? I was having trouble getting Debian installed on my laptop. I got a kernel panic when it attempted to look at my harddisk. Turns out the ATI IDE drivers were bunk but that was fixed in the Etch release.

Here is the the /. article I mentioned:
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/0...tid=113&tid=218

20. xj0hnx

I tried The newest Sarge stable release (well, newest that came with this months Linux User). I haven't tried Etch, maybe next time I have to reinstall I'll give it a shot, FC is working really smooth for me now.

As far as the web standards thing, that really doesn't mean anything to me. I am not a developer, I am a user, and when I look at websites, they look fine, so I could careless about whos panties are in a bunch over not using what who wants who to. Properitary software guys only care about the money, open source people are too involved with individual projects to come together to form a unifed system, so fuck it, if it works, it works.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted