If you were in my shoes...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eyesonlybob

Ok, heres the story: ive gotten pretty fed up with my parents and have thought about moving out lately.

recent events with my parents:

i wanted to go snowboarding but the mountain where i live sucks. so i wanted to drive an hour away to santa fe to snowboard and they wouldnt let me. so i ended up lying to them. i told them i was gonna go to the mountain in town and i went to santa fe. didnt get caught.

i wanted to go 4 hours away to farmington for a paintball tourny. they wanted to go with me because "highways are dangerous." even though it wouldnt be any different if they were driving with me. i lied about my friends parents going with us and got to go. didnt get caught.

the kicker: i recently ran into an ex girfriend of mine and started hanging out with her again. this girl treated me like shit 2 years ago, but actually changed for the better. my parents have blocked her number, and keep bitching because im still hanging out with her. so i just lie to go out and hang out with her.

pretty much i have to lie to do anything.

now ive been thinking, if i have to lie to do this stuff, why not move out and make my own rules. im 19 and a full time student. i have figured my finances and would be able to move out and pay for everything with a bit of extra work. although, i would have to sell my car to get one with less insurance.

so, would you move out if you were me? having absolutely no freedom sucks ass and im getting sick of it. i have a roomate and everything. so lets hear some opinions.

my parents wont pay for anything if i move out.

:cliffs:

my parents dont let me do anything. i lie to them to do what i want. should i move out? keep in mind that my parents wont pay for anything if i do. rent, tuition, insurance, food, gas. EVERYTHING.

well if you are financially ready to move out, then by means do it. i love being on my own because i can do what i want and when i want and not having to answer anyone. only things i dont like are cooking and cleaning my apt...LOL. anyways, go for it if you feel its best for YOU. good luck in this decision.

i say suck it up and deal with it. if they are payin for your school and everything else, its a free ride, take it. if you're able to get the grants and dont mind paying back thousands in student loans, and can work + school to be able to afford it, go for it :)

Originally posted by eyesonlybob@Dec 30 2003, 06:10 PM
...i would have to sell my car ...

That's what's keeping me from moving out.
I just can't sell my car, and I would like to finish all of my stuff up first. But if you're able to do it, than go for it!! If it's on your list of priorities, than why not??

Don't move out yet. If they wont pay for anything then your skrewed! If I were you I would not move out yet. Just put up with it until your done with school. Roomates are not as they seem. No matter who you move in with, they will change and you will see another side of them. Friends are the best but when you move in with them and money becomes a factor, people change. Dont do it yet. I am in the same boat as you almost. I just moved out with my dad and i have a lot more freedom but not a whole lot. I have to leave to do anything, but he never stops me.

why do you even ask? You need to have a sit down talk this shit out with your parents, and tell them that you lied about all this shit and that you are 19 it is time for the to let you grow up. If they have a problem with that, and I am assuming that you have the means to move out, then I tell them that you are moving out, and selling your car to get one that you can afford to run. Also do not make any sacrifices that cause you to miss out on school. I had this similar issue with my parents, and i pretty much told them that they really do not have a hold on me, I have no intentions on putting up with bullshit and over protective rules, that really are nothing other than power trips.
Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Dec 30 2003, 03:25 PM
You need to have a sit down talk this shit out with your parents, and tell them that you lied about all this shit and that you are 19 it is time for the to let you grow up.

:werd: But then again it is their house and my parents always say "you live in my house, you obey my rules." Try to talk to them no matter what.

I was going to type out a post, but people have already said what I was going to say. :)

Originally posted by B16+Dec 30 2003, 05:20 PM-->
i say suck it up and deal with it. if they are payin for your school and everything else, its a free ride, take it. if you're able to get the grants and dont mind paying back thousands in student loans, and can work + school to be able to afford it, go for it :)

:werd:

MaaseyRacer
@Dec 30 2003, 05:25 PM
You need to have a sit down talk this shit out with your parents that you are 19 it is time for them to let you grow up.

:withstupid:

stick it out another semester-- and trasfer next year to a school a couple hours away- and live there.

still get the free ride
still get to keep the car
and you can fuck every college slut in a 20 mile radius for the cost of 3 beers :ph34r: not that i have any experince with that...

im gonna stick it out another semester but im pretty damn sure im moving out. they wont talk to me about anything. i keep getting the "im the parent, i rule" or "you live under my roof" so fuck them, im out after next summer.

Man, my mom would kick my ass if I told her fuck you. But, I do call bullshit. A serious face, and a grown up attitude will get you what you want. Mom's don't like you fucking neighbor girls downstairs, but holding you back from going places with your friends is dumb.

In all sincerity, if I told my mom that she was going to lose me completely if she didn't let go a little, she'd understand. Then again, both sides have to listen.

Hello and welcome to the real world, my parents cut me off they day I got a job when I was 14, by the time I was 18, I had payments like a regular adult, including power, car, phone, water, insurance, cable, etc.

While living with my parents, I had to pay everything but rent, because if they charged me to live in an 8x8 room, I would have sued them.

im not gonna leave on bad terms...and when i said fuck them...it wasnt to be taken seriously. i would never tell my parents that i just ment im sick of it, and im going to move out, lol.

Your story sounds like me when I was living with my parents. I had to lie about everything in order ot go out and do stuff/stay out late. It really sucked living at the house sometimes.

Depends... would you be moving out on good terms? If so... well I'd want to keep my car also... nevermind, scratch that. Having a car isn't everything though... I'd probably stay, cause they're paying for everything. You never really understand how much stuff you have to pay for until you move out... makes it hard to mod the car :(

Man, if my parents were like that I would leave and never look back. That's messed up. I hang out with the "good crowd" at school (the people with the most overprotective and irrational parents) and most of them don't have cerfews or are not allowed to go out of town even though they're under 18. You should move out, once your 18 you shouldn't have to put up with bullshit like that.

If you do move out, look for a place close to campus. Then, go buy yourself a good bicycle. use that for commuting to class. Then you can keep your car because you'll be saving a lot of money otherwise spent on gas and parking. Plus, you'll get a lot of good exercise, which pays off in the girlfriend department. :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 30 2003, 08:50 PM
stick it out another semester-- and trasfer next year to a school a couple hours away- and live there.

still get the free ride
still get to keep the car
and you can fuck every college slut in a 20 mile radius for the cost of 3 beers :ph34r: not that i have any experince with that...

...that right there my friend is PERFECT advice...

Back