Importbuilders.com Engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 94Civintegra@Mar 21 2003, 01:35 AM
Well Im going to be daily driving this car, so I'd like to keep it a gas station car, and when I read your Articles it said that a boosted car for daily driving is always better then a N/A car because the N/A car would (using math in the article) need like 15:1 compression ratio.

And if I use boost I can still not completely eat away at my MPG because from what I learned from the boost articles, the more exhaust you have comming out, the more gain your going to see... so I think that means if I drive it normal, I'll get closer to normal MPG, but Ill have the boost when I race. And I believe its a lot cheaper.

Im definetely going to stay with the boost.

Is it possible to get 13's with 8000? If its not, what is possible? And how can I get it?

You dont need 15.1 CR. You can do it on far less. Jason is laying down 191whp on 11.6 i think it is and Calesta put down 185whp on 12.6 CR on pump gas.

You run pump gas on anything streetable, its all in the tuning. NA car you will need a more aggressive cam's, CR, tighter tranny, etc. You will lose gas mileage, but hey.. you want performance, gas mileage goes bye bye.

You can go boost, and if you do.. get an LS motor and boost it. Cheaper to tune and will go 13's for not as much money as a vtec/turbo setup would take (b16, gsr, itr motors)...

Boost gets good gas mileage, b/c you can stay under boost, but you will still give up on mileage.

So you think I should walk away from the GSR, and get an LS?
I KNOW I can get an LS block for 600. What head should I put on though(I will be boosting it, gotta love the sound of a blow off valve)?

I wont gut anything from my car, and I dont want my steering to go all to hell, and I dont want to bend or wreck anything, and I dont want to spend anymore then I have to get achieve mid 13's to 14's.

Taking all that into consideration, how do you suppouse I can go about getting what I want for 8000?
Please help me!

Hey guys I have to go to bed, its 1:00 am and I have to get up and go to school tomorrow.
Im only 16, soon to be 17. If you have an IM I can get ahold of you on, and you wouldn't mind me asking you stuff please post it on here so I dont have to post and wait. Thanks guys!

Id love to wake up to a complete list of what I need to get that full interior civic to do a 1/4 mile in mid 13's to low 14's for 8000! (Hint Hint)

Originally posted by 94Civintegra@Mar 21 2003, 01:51 AM
So you think I should walk away from the GSR, and get an LS?
I KNOW I can get an LS block for 600. What head should I put on though(I will be boosting it, gotta love the sound of a blow off valve)?

I wont gut anything from my car, and I dont want my steering to go all to hell, and I dont want to bend or wreck anything, and I dont want to spend anymore then I have to get achieve mid 13's to 14's.

Taking all that into consideration, how do you suppouse I can go about getting what I want for 8000?
Please help me!

Get the LS head pnped and turbo crower cams. No reason to get any other head. You can build a LS/t up very nicely for 8000.

Loud BOV's hurt performance b/c they squeeze the air through a smaller hole.. it kinda goes with that saying.. "all blow, no go".. dont hurt your performance b/c you might make the turbo backspin = fucking shit up (if BOV is too loud).

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Mar 21 2003, 12:58 AM
ummm, honestly.. it depends who you know. If you get a b16, and go all out like Jeffie7 did, and spend 7-8k on the MOTOR alone, you might STILL be shy of it. Unless you use used parts. Jeffie7 is making 260-270 (give or take)whp and 175wtq on a t3/t4 setup and JE pistons, Darton sleeves, blah blah.

I dont see you getting that with 8000, unless you get some good deal on used parts. Search for Jeffie7 and look at his posts.. he has posted dyno charts, and parts list and he hasn't hit 300whp and 200wtq on a boosted b16. (id say he has 8k-10k into his)

holy shit thats weak as fuck. My one friend is putting down 200tq on a ls stock internals and the greddy bolt on kit. my other friend built a custom kit and puts downs 240hp 200 tq on stock ls internals

94civintegra - damn, i thought that you wanted like an 11 second car by the way that you were posting your messages. 13's are easily achieved with 8000. you can get an ls motor for dirt cheap. well if you live in so cali, you can get them for cheap. they're fairly cheap anywhere to be honest. you should be able to get the motor for 1500 complete, 2000 tops. then use the rest of the money to get a bad ass turbo setup. i'm pretty sure there are some of the members on this forum running an ls/t setup on their cars, i'm not certain. anyway, good luck.

If I can get a GSR motor for 1000... then would going with a GSR engine be better? Because I can, if not less for 1000, then for less. I found a smashed up car with a b-series motor in it, but I didn't look what it was at the time. I can get that 1 for somewhere around 500, and I have a friend that has a complete GSR motor for 1000 that hes selling, but Im a friend, so I can get it for less.

Assume I already have the GSR engine... and Im putting 8000 into that... what can I achieve then?
Would you recommend a GSR/T setup over an LS/T setup if the price of the engine is not a problem?

Originally posted by 94Civintegra@Mar 21 2003, 11:15 PM

Would you recommend a GSR/T setup over an LS/T setup if the price of the engine is not a problem?

Tha main reason people go LS/T over vtec/T is the cost of the motor to start with.If you can get the GSr for $1000 or less you can build a incredibly fast car for under $8000.

Awesome!

Whats the best Turbo setup for a GSR I can get for 8000?

Come on guys! Let me know what I should do!

Remeber, Im not looking for HP... Im look for time.... I dont care if I have 150 HP or 350HP as long as it goes 1/4 mile faster then the other car. Like low 14's at the highest!

The one at Turbokits.com (I went to the Acura one, I figured that was right) says it ran on 104 octance fuel... can I run it on 91 octance?

Dont I need to do some more mods to the engine then just "boltin' on a turbo"... wont I wreck something?

Okay... I think I chose my turbocharger.
http://www.revhard.com/turbokits.html the Stage 2.. not 2C.. not 2002 S1

Lets say now I have the GSR engine, and the stage 2 turbo. What else needs to be done? I dont want to blow up or bend anything. Im guessing I need new axle(s) right? Let me know what I have to do to my GSR engine to put that turbo kit on it PLEASE!!!

Would you change anything from the Kit? Can I run this on 92 octane?

The stage 2 comes with the following:
Rev Hard Cast Iron Manifold
Rev Hard T3/T04B Hybrid Turbo
Turbo efficient to 350hp
Rev Hard Intercooler 28x6.5x3 or
25x8x3.5 limited qty.
Deltagate (7-9psi)
Vortec Blow Off Valve
2.25" Aluminzed Mandrel Bent Piping
2.5" Downpipe
Progressive Type Fuel Regulator
High Volume Fuel Pump
Purosil Hoses & Clamps
Steel Braided -3 Oil Line
Oil Return Line
High Pressure Fuel Line
High Pressure Silicon Hose
Neccessary Vacuum Tee's
Neccessary Vacuum Lines
Ask for a FREE Boost Gauge limited qty

You'd do good with better axles,stage two or three are nice.Have a spin through the Forced Induction forum,almost every question you have about turbo is there.

Hey, I looked and learned nothing besides a loud BOV doesn't mean anything.
My question wasn't really about TURBO, but about an engine on turbo. Am I going to need to replace the rods and the pistons, and put a new valvetrain in? This is what Im guessing im going to have to change on the GSR engine:

New Pistons
New Rods
New Valvetrain
New Cams
New Axle(s) - Dude im getting pissed now knowing if im going to need 1 or 2 axles, somebody answer that please!
New Tranny
New Clutch
New Brakes
Boost Controller

What needs to be added or taken off the list? PLEASE let me know. I really dont want to blow up my engine.

92b16vx... Thank you for all of your help, I hope somebody else post's something.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@Mar 21 2003, 01:39 AM
Jason (2 liter EG here on HS) is running, probably mid-low 13's now with his new power (191whp) and prolly costed roughly 8k-9k to do. Hooks up also. Or you can go a different way. He has a ls/vtec, crower stage 3 cams, 11.X aries pistons, eagle rods, blah blah.. I forget the rest :)..

His setup is on slicks, no lsd and in a 5th gen hatch (92-95)..

You might be able to do it for more or less.

i spent 8000 to 9000 on my very first set up codee lol

this one i spent about 4300 total... i think, i dont really have time to think about how much i spent on this and that but yeah motor it self i spent about that much... if i count everything esle, like fuel upgrades, suspension and EVEYTHING then it came out to about 6500...

but yeah with 8000 you can build a bad ass all motor car, if you want you can choose to go to jeff at IB, but he charges quite a bit...

if you decide to go with rev hard, let me know... i have family that works there B)

BTW 94Civintegra, are you related to thepester by any chance... im just curious

5k on a GSR/T will get you far, further that thirteens. You'll need bigger injectors, RC Engineering, like 350's or somewhere around there, you'll need to get the fuel there, Walbro Fuel pump, axles are good since broken axles suck. Driveshaftshop.com, there's a lot of other good axle manufacturers but they're all the same, get one rated at 300hp. Hondata is a must, or AEM EMS, but I'd go with a hondata system. you'll need a custom 3" exhaust, boost controller would help, turbo timers are alwyas nice, (you don't wanna have to sit in the car for 5 minutes with yo hottie waitin till you can turn your car off) As far as the motor itself, yea, it'll need some work, new valvetrain, all new internals, PnP, get it sleeved, ask around from shops. Suspension mods would definately help, a good wheel/tire package, an LSD. ITR transmission wouldn't hurt. All this is damn close to if not a little over what you'll have left after you buy the motor and turbo kit. But at like 6 p.s.i. some of these mods are necessary.

itr tranny why? you want the gsr tranny.. itr tranny is too tight of gearing. 350's are too small.. 440's are the BASE MINIMUM!!!

Pistons = 550
rods = 450
injectors = 300 or so
turbo setup = ~3000-3500
resleeved = 1200 or so

Wow, that 5k that you said could get him far is gone.

5k will NOT get your far.. goto www.ks-motorsports.com and get a custom made kit. Around 3500 bucks. Get some injectors bigger than 440's or get 440's from RC. Shot peen the rods and get some Roller Wave pistons for 550. If you can still manage, get some Eagle rods and ARP studs/bolts are a MUST to help hold shit together.

Now you can boost .. about 11-13psi on the t3/t4 turbo with an intercooler. Now your money is gone.. save for tuning and someone to put it together and wait till the sleeves give up and get it resleeved

Alright... this is what I got so far

Revhard Stage 2 Turbo Kit - 3500
JE Racing Pistons - 469
Eagle Rods - 369
Crower Spring/Retainer Kits - 400
Crower GSR Cam - 589/pair
Stock GSR tranny - 0
Acura/Honda level 2 Hybrid axle's (set) - 700
Clutchmaster Stage 4 - 450(Not sure of the price... can I get a link please)
Fuel Pump From Stage 2 Turbo Kit - 0
ARP Head Stud Kit - 169
Resleeve - 750
Apex'i boost controller - 480
Boost Timer - 97
Hondata - s200 base w/ boost and 3 step rev limiter(help me with this cause I dont know shit about this) - 620
CoilOver Kit (Est. Price) - 1200

total = 9793

What do you guys think? Am I going to blow up my car or is it going to be a beauty?
Whats missing or wrong... or what isn't needed?

Thanks a lot guys!

Back