intercooler piping....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

driver1

well guys im gonna finally start peicing together a turbo setup for my car and was wondering about intercooler piping, Does it need to be bead rolled? My plans for now will only be around 10 lbs of boost. I know i could make the piping myself but im not sure how i would have it bead rolled if this is necessary. I see alot of kits on ebay for DIY but most of the are not beadrolled ends. So i guess my question is how necessary is it cause i should be able to save a decent amount if i can make my own piping.

It's not completely necesary, but it's good insurence. Having a silicone coupler pop off on the road can be a pain if you don't have the tools to fix it.

maybe i could have the ends bead rolled at a machine shop once i mocked everything up and made all my cuts :shrug2:

You can do it yourself, I believe. Not sure on what metalworking tool you need, but I'm sure you can do it yourself. If not, try a radiator shop or an exhaust shop.

yeah you dont need them. but what you could do is throw a weld bead around it. btw check out racing solutions on homemadeturbo in the for sale section for some very good
prices.

^ werd

whenever i get another car and boost it i was just going to put some tack welds around the edge of the piping to give the coupler/clamp something to bite into so it doesnt pop off

^ My I/C piping doesnt have that :). . . . 15psi FTW!!!

Ran 14-15 PSI on my car, and only had pipes blow off once or twice before I secured them better and used a longer silicone coupler.

i dont have any beads on the ends of my pipes, just nitrile couplers and t bolt clamps, held strong at 21 psi, never popped one yet.

i doubt your setup will ever flow the cfm of a gt35r at 21 psi so i think youll be fine

Back