1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intercooler tubing, Aluminum VS Stainless VS Mild Steel

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by Yurik, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Yurik

Yurik New Member

i am in the process of picking a tubing package that will meet my needs for my intercooler and turbo package, the car is a b16a swapped honda crx

basically my situation is this, welding stainless/mild steel is very easy, the stainless would last me forever, but the cost is MUCH greater,

the mild steel is cheaper, but will only last me a year or so before it began leaking, but would be a great mauch up for my new piping setup if i were to build it out of a different metal

the aluminum is cheap, looks cool, but is harder to weld, and i dont have that great of access to a heliarch welder to weld it with,

which metal would be best? would i be able to buy an aluminum package, fab up my tubing, and just use the rubber connecters at all of my connections instead of welding it together? i am just not sure what to do at the present time

also another question, not so related to this thread, where should i position my filter for my turbo?

thanks for the help!

2. Reckone

Reckone EF aholic

I think the stainless steel one would be best for you. If you have access to a MIG welder, then your good to go with that kit.

Most people try to position the air filter higher up on the motor to keep out water and what not. I see many of them just above the trans.

3. preludebuddy

preludebuddy Senior Member

the less couplers the better. having those blow off in the middle of a run is pretty bad. my filter is connected directly to the turbo.

4. Reckone

Reckone EF aholic

Yeah, had that happen to me once before at the track. Best to weld everything, as long as you can still get it out the car if needed.

5. Yurik

Yurik New Member

probably jus goin to get the rev hard kit, better buy for the money i believe, then i can build onto the kit and make it better

6. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

Use aluminum. Stainless steel will add unnecessary weight to your front end, and will cost you more in the long run for supplies.

7. 801CRX

801CRX Got Rice?

Well in this case I would say just go with stainless cause he said it would be the easiest way for him to go. Yes it'll give him more weight but its not enough weight to turn the tables.

And as previously stated, weld everything you can. Make sure you put couplers at places where you would have to disconnect tubing to take things off if needed.

And just put the filter directly on the turbo

8. turbo sol

turbo sol I need some ligaments!!!

laurel, montucky (ten minutes out of billings)
    go with the aluminum and just use silicone hoses to connect everything.
    i say aluminum because it sheds heat better than mild steel and stainless.
    DO NOT PUT THE FILTER DIRECTLY ON THE TURBO!!!! the turbo will suck the filter to pieces. it will literally suck parts of it right into your engine, especially the foam mushroom ones.

9. Yurik

Yurik New Member

any idea on where i should route my turbo to?

10. turbo sol

turbo sol I need some ligaments!!!

laurel, montucky (ten minutes out of billings)
    do you mean filter? if so i suggest a 2 1/2 in tube that is about a foot long or if possible, longer. route the pipe twards the passenger side of the car.

11. Yurik

Yurik New Member

ya thats what i meant, sorry, thanks

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted