internet in germany is junk

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tonyls

100 euros for internet in germany is fucking crazy and its only cable modem so its lke 120 dollars for a little faster than dial up. plus i dont know shit about computers and the bitches that live around me steal my internet and make it even slower. i followed the instructions to make it secure and it fucked up my shit so i had to reset the wireless and people can still steal the shit. anyone know how to make it right? its a linksys wireless router or somethin like that.

did you get a book with it?

you need that encryption, cable modem should be a lot faster than dial up without the leeching

This post belongs in our Computers, Games, Electronics etc Forum. Please look for your post there.

:moved:

Thanks,

The Moderating Team

I can see my DSL box from my computer room window, so I get awesome connects at home. But yeah, when I was rural my cable modem rocked out.

I hear ya brother, five years there dealing with Telecom made me want to kill people, and for shit ADSL at that, hell I am paying less for an 8.0 connection with digital cable and phone in teh states.

put a password on the connection. theres 4 people that live in my house so the connection isnt great but it was worse when the neighbors were leeching. added a password, only told it to us 4, now the connection is decent again.

EWWW dont use WEP unless u have too and make it 128-bit encrpytion if u need too. WPA-Shared is the way to go for small home networks. Its easy. Just go to the wireless security of the router and create one. Then go to the cpu's u want to add and enter the SSID exactly and enter the WPA key u created. If u have only G devices, broadcast only in G. Mixed modes can hinder performance. If u want to take the extra steps, disable broadcasting SSID so people cant just pick it up and enable a MAC filter. To find your MAC, go to run program. type in cmd. then type in, ipconfig /all, and it will give all your networking info.

Enabling MAC filters, WPA and not broadcasting your SSID makes you practically invisble and really hard to crack.

Good luck.

Quoted post[/post]]
EWWW dont use WEP unless u have too and make it 128-bit encrpytion if u need too. WPA-Shared is the way to go for small home networks. Its easy. Just go to the wireless security of the router and create one. Then go to the cpu's u want to add and enter the SSID exactly and enter the WPA key u created. If u have only G devices, broadcast only in G. Mixed modes can hinder performance. If u want to take the extra steps, disable broadcasting SSID so people cant just pick it up and enable a MAC filter. To find your MAC, go to run program. type in cmd. then type in, ipconfig /all, and it will give all your networking info.

Enabling MAC filters, WPA and not broadcasting your SSID makes you practically invisble and really hard to crack.

Good luck.
i have no idea what that means... and now my head hurts.

WEP and WPA are wireless security standards aka passwords. WEP comes in 64 and 128-bit. The higher, the more secure. WPA is better because it randomly changes the keys. To use it, just go to your router security section and enable it and make up a password. Then go to computers you want to use the network and enter the password to. Simple.

The SSID is the name of the network. You can name it whatever, just have to make sure that when you enter in the devices you want to connect its the exact same. Not broadcasting it makes it harder to find your network.

MAC addresses is what it sounds like. Its the similar to a serial number of a part, but applies to network devices like LAN cards, wireless cards, etc... When you enable a filter, you only allow the devices you have permitted to gain access to your network and the rest is filtered out.

Hope that helps.

Back