Just a crazy girl here.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I look at the expenses from the aspect of not only tires, but also insurance (bike + health), vehicle transportation (for all my track days I have been able to bum rides from friends who were also going who had a truck/trailer), a 1 piece suit (I currently have a 2 piece), maintenance on the bike (brakes, suspension tuning, gas, oil changes, water wetter, tune-ups, etc). It all adds up and I am in no position to even think about getting more involved than just track days here and there... Gawd... as much as I would love to. :)

:giveup:

as far as expenses go, I don't have my racebike insured - when doing trackdays, I kept insurance on it, which worked in my advantage because I wadded it up last year and got a shitload from my insurance (stated value full coverage FTW!) without getting it totalled...but insurance won't cover your bike if it's damaged at a sanctioned race event, so there's no real reason to keep insurance on a racebike. For a trailer, you can pick up a 1-bike trailer and a small receiver hitch that will go on a Honda or other small car for around $450 for the trailer and hitch, and that's plenty for raceday/trackday transportation - shit, you could pull a small trailer and a bike with a CRX no problem. When shopping for a suit, don't worry too much about buying a big badass expensive suit, before I bought my baller-ass A*Stars I had a Frank Thomas that I picked up for $75 off of Craigslist, and I went down in it at LEAST 4 times last year, and for being a cheapass suit that supposedly wasn't worth a damn, it sure did work pretty damn well for me. If you're on a budget, Frank Thomas suits are a definite 'win' - don't listen to the people who say that they're junk because they're cheap.

As far as maintenance on the bike goes, I wouldn't worry about water wetter. The first few races of the year here in Texas are usually cold as hell in the evenings/mornings, and usually gets below freezing at night, so my bike spends the night of the first few racedays with no coolant, and I just refill it with distilled water before practice sessions in the morning. Brake pads are about $50 for a both fronts, and usually get replaced every 4 race days. Don't worry about the rears, you shouldn't be using your rear brake on the track anyways. For suspension, you'd be looking at around $40 to have a reputable shop set up your stock suspension, and that should be fine for you throughout the year unless you gain and/or lose a LOT of weight for some reason - don't worry too much about spending lots of money on baller suspension until you reach the limits of your stock stuff.

All that's stuff to keep in mind when/if you decide to jump from trackdays to racing...just my .02

Also, ditch the chrome windscreen...looks pimp on the street, but you'll want to be able to see where you're going when you're at full tuck on the track ^_^

No Jeff or Steve..... this post is not legit.

I am a hater.... Welcome.... and prepare to get schooled HARD.

This post is now legit. I read the whole 7 pages. Well, honestly - my eyes got glassy the 3rd page into it and I started to just skim around looking for posts that directly effect me. I found none.

So hey, welcome aboard.

I've done a career of about 40 "builds" (I consider a build not as a re-assemble, but as a goal-oriented configuration of parts, geometry, and tolerances) and I'm an active hobbyist. Honestly, I have no idea how people "survive" 40 builds. I'm a really patient guy, and I make a habit of listening to people. But after all that I've learned I start to foam in the mouth and my pupils dialate whenever some chode goes on and on about polishing heads, turbos being "free horsepower" and the such. I want to punch people now. So much that I can GO to a car show, but I CAN NOT SPEAK to anyone there. Body work is worse - "That paint is so awesome" when in fact it's a shit matrix on shit steel ruined with shittier compound. And don't get me started on exhaust.

The hobby leads in one direction: You only like work that is yours, for your car, by your specs and everyone else is shit. If you go so far into old age with mechanics as your only job then you'll back yourself into a miserable corner where you're blessed to work for a custom designer implenting their ideas. And that's if you're lucky.

Finally, and this is why everyone has read my post, I weigh in on female enthusiasts - Again.

A woman needs to be introduced, formally, to the activity. Women very rarely pick up an interest on their own. And that's fine. Obviously male-oriented activities will be introduced by a man - The more respected that man is, the more apt the woman is to take interest in it and pay attention. Sorry if this offends you, but that doesn't make it any less true. Read on.

The female enthusiast doesn't know as much as the male. I'm sorry, It just isn't true. There is, however, balance to be found at this. The female, unlike the male, will actually "Get" the concepts of what they are looking at. There is a WAY shorter learning curve for women to get involved. The Female interest in anything, regardless of what gender dominates is, is based not on tactile experience, but on philosophical fulfillment. That's why a woman won't be interested in , say, motorcycle riding on "her own", but is WAY more to likely to immediately become addicted to it based on it's unique philosophies. A guy will walk away because he isn't getting the looks of a bike or the looks from others that he craves (Which, for the purposes of this argument, I call "tactile experience"). Basically, a woman doesn't really give a shit about who thinks she knows what or where - She just does it to feel better about life. If you're a man, and reading this saying "Yeah, so do I" you're kidding yourself. You don't.

So in male-dominated hobbies and interests, a woman will know less, but feel better about what she does know than a man. She'll be more satisfied to reach a point and stop. She'll encompass what may be a "true" attitude of that activity. From a third person, she will "know less" but be more respected by most because she overcame the initial step to become interested in an activity (Lemme tell you, it's SCARY getting on a motorcycle for the first time). For the more acute observer (Nissan ninja in this case) he smells right through most of that, and realises that it is mostly a woman's desire to satisfy a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend that brought her to the activity in the first place,and that she NEVER had the initial desire to pick it up. She isn't "inspired" by the activity, she is "Inspired" by the philosophy of the activity, or by the need to be loved by one of it's practitioners. Sorry, The truth sucks. Mostly, it's this truth that bubbles to the top.

But again, regardless of why - glad to see ya.

Last edited:
I had this conversation with my woman last night.

a woman will get into a male dominated area for 1 of three reasons....

1) she wants to relate to someone special, and share an interest.

2) the most likely solution, she enjoys the attention she gets by being in the environment. much like my ex.

3) the .01% is that she really likes that shit. and that usually makes her a tomboy or big dike.

i guess the best analogy i could come up with is blowjobs.

1) a girl will do it to relate to a guy

2) she just likes the attention she gets from it

3) maybe she REALLY likes giving blowjobs. and usually if that is the case, she's had a lot of dick's in her mouth.

in both cases, the girl is fun to be around, but she's not ideal to the situation. she is a "guys girl" but 99% of the time, that makes her undatable. and if any guy here says, "awww, my dream girl loves cars, bikes, and getting skinned up knees" hasn't had that girl for a girlfriend. it's not that great.

Girls can share interests, but it will never be to the extent of a guy. guys are much more passionate about those things, when a girl (as steve stated) is much more content with the simplest form that pleasure gives them.

That's a piece of brilliance, right there. You save that post for the future.

The last line is particularly genius. Most girls will walk away when it hurts them (A bike fall is WAY harder for a girl to recover from than a guy, emotionally) but even more so is the passion about these things. I'm not a great engine builder. I'm not. I'm ok, but I'm not world-class. And it's in my passion that two things come from that: I don't give up and think of myself as worthless without someone there to pick up the slack, and I am not afraid to make and display my mistakes. I'll tell you "I know how to change oil" but then I'll tell you my funny mistake I made while changing the oil on a Ferrari 365GT (I can guarantee you ALL - you don't ALL know how to change EVERY kind of oil)

Hubris. It's always been something that most people lack, and the more and more a woman is humped for speaking buzz-words and playing the part, the less and less their hubris actually allows them to learn and move forward.

This post is now legit. I read the whole 7 pages. Well, honestly - my eyes got glassy the 3rd page into it and I started to just skim around looking for posts that directly effect me. I found none.

So hey, welcome aboard.

I've done a career of about 40 "builds" (I consider a build not as a re-assemble, but as a goal-oriented configuration of parts, geometry, and tolerances) and I'm an active hobbyist. Honestly, I have no idea how people "survive" 40 builds. I'm a really patient guy, and I make a habit of listening to people. But after all that I've learned I start to foam in the mouth and my pupils dialate whenever some chode goes on and on about polishing heads, turbos being "free horsepower" and the such. I want to punch people now. So much that I can GO to a car show, but I CAN NOT SPEAK to anyone there. Body work is worse - "That paint is so awesome" when in fact it's a shit matrix on shit steel ruined with shittier compound. And don't get me started on exhaust.

The hobby leads in one direction: You only like work that is yours, for your car, by your specs and everyone else is shit. If you go so far into old age with mechanics as your only job then you'll back yourself into a miserable corner where you're blessed to work for a custom designer implenting their ideas. And that's if you're lucky.

Finally, and this is why everyone has read my post, I weigh in on female enthusiasts - Again.

A woman needs to be introduced, formally, to the activity. Women very rarely pick up an interest on their own. And that's fine. Obviously male-oriented activities will be introduced by a man - The more respected that man is, the more apt the woman is to take interest in it and pay attention. Sorry if this offends you, but that doesn't make it any less true. Read on.

The female enthusiast doesn't know as much as the male. I'm sorry, It just isn't true. There is, however, balance to be found at this. The female, unlike the male, will actually "Get" the concepts of what they are looking at. There is a WAY shorter learning curve for women to get involved. The Female interest in anything, regardless of what gender dominates is, is based not on tactile experience, but on philosophical fulfillment. That's why a woman won't be interested in , say, motorcycle riding on "her own", but is WAY more to likely to immediately become addicted to it based on it's unique philosophies. A guy will walk away because he isn't getting the looks of a bike or the looks from others that he craves (Which, for the purposes of this argument, I call "tactile experience"). Basically, a woman doesn't really give a shit about who thinks she knows what or where - She just does it to feel better about life. If you're a man, and reading this saying "Yeah, so do I" you're kidding yourself. You don't.

So in male-dominated hobbies and interests, a woman will know less, but feel better about what she does know than a man. She'll be more satisfied to reach a point and stop. She'll encompass what may be a "true" attitude of that activity. From a third person, she will "know less" but be more respected by most because she overcame the initial step to become interested in an activity (Lemme tell you, it's SCARY getting on a motorcycle for the first time). For the more acute observer (Nissan ninja in this case) he smells right through most of that, and realises that it is mostly a woman's desire to satisfy a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend that brought her to the activity in the first place,and that she NEVER had the initial desire to pick it up. She isn't "inspired" by the activity, she is "Inspired" by the philosophy of the activity, or by the need to be loved by one of it's practitioners. Sorry, The truth sucks. Mostly, it's this truth that bubbles to the top.

But again, regardless of why - glad to see ya.

Being that I am a Human Development major/Sociology minor, I have a lot of experience studying people and human behavior. Although I may represent that .00001% of women who get into these hobbies on their own, I do agree with the logic you expressed about the other 99.99999% of women. For that, I blame society (as you'll see below).

In my case:
I have always been a tomboy (wow-what a shock). I was into sports and always enjoyed mechanical-type puzzles (you know the metal loops linked together?). From early ages I would look at cars and see their potential, be it aesthetics or performance. I followed Le Mans racing, road racing, motorcycle racing, drifting (when the scene first started), you name it... All this was my own choice. I had no male influence on the subject. I just found that these thing intrigued me more than the stereotypical "pink" lifestyle a girl is "supposed" to have. I would race my cars (take them to the local drag strip -- Irwindale--for the open drag nights; and dabbled in street racing). After my "incident" I mentioned earlier I got away from the car scene, thinking that it was a smart choice for my life. From my cars I had a plethora of tickets (fix-it to speeding) and didn't want to put myself out there for more. I got to the point where I thought a bike would be a better option, especially since I always wanted one. I would always have my friends who owned bikes take me on rides and convinced a few to let me try riding theirs. After riding one twice, I bought my own, taught myself how to ride, took the MSF course, got licensed, decided to do track days/group rides/canyons/etc/etc/etc all on my own free will.

I think it is so unfair how we socialize children from the start. Think about it. What color are the different sexes dressed in? Dressed in pink you never get the same full opportunity as the blue to venture out to those interests. Same for guys. Guys get it worse when they express an interest in more "feminine" things (decorating, fashion, etc). Why? What higher purpose does it serve to let little girls play with dolls but not hotwheels? Studies have shown that men do not know how to hold a newborn simply because he has no practice holding anything (like dolls) in his life. From that insecurity, he then develops LESS of a bond with his child and feel inadequate about his abilities to raise children. If a boy expressed an interest in dolls and the parents let him play with them, it could potentially make him a better father in the long run. I could go on and on about this, but it'll just frustrate the HELL out of me.

So... long story short: I don't do anything for the attention it gives me or for pleasing the person I'm with. I do it for me. I am always open to new things that my bf can introduce me to and would take an honest effort to share his interests, as any significant other would do. And... he would do the same for me. When we met about 4+ years ago, he was shocked that I was so involved in cars and was pleasantly surprised by my interest in bikes. I had a bike way before I even knew he wanted one.

The last line is particularly genius. Most girls will walk away when it hurts them (A bike fall is WAY harder for a girl to recover from than a guy, emotionally) but even more so is the passion about these things. I'm not a great engine builder. I'm not. I'm ok, but I'm not world-class. And it's in my passion that two things come from that: I don't give up and think of myself as worthless without someone there to pick up the slack, and I am not afraid to make and display my mistakes. I'll tell you "I know how to change oil" but then I'll tell you my funny mistake I made while changing the oil on a Ferrari 365GT (I can guarantee you ALL - you don't ALL know how to change EVERY kind of oil)

Hubris. It's always been something that most people lack, and the more and more a woman is humped for speaking buzz-words and playing the part, the less and less their hubris actually allows them to learn and move forward.

I don't see how girls walk away from things that hurt them. I can see if something emotionally hurts them, but not physically. Women have a higher threshold for pain (childbirth, anyone?!) and can overcome things pretty well. Of course this is not all, but most from what I have seen. If something is emotionally painful, in my opinion, women walk away because they are intelligent enough to not put themselves through the same painful situation twice. Hurt me once, shame on you; hurt me twice, shame on me.

So now my question for all of you is... If this thread title did not explain my s/n, my s/n had nothing to do with my gender, and I only posted a pic of my bike/me at the trackday (where it seems fairly gender-neutral) would I be receiving all this attention? Or would this thread be limited to the simple "welcome" or "nice bike" and further collect cyber dust? I don't see why I have to defend myself, give my entire life story simply because I have a pair--on my chest that is, and not downstairs.

As MOST women want, I just want to be an equal and not have to justify everything I do in whatever hobby I choose. All I ask for is a little respect and decent conversation.

if you would have just said hi im new, then all you would have got is welcome and post pics, im glad your here myself dont let the few weirdos scare you off.

im glad your here as well,alot of girls cant stick through the newb hazing,and since your a gil its more harsh,hang aound,you will gain more friends,and still have some enemies

This is why the motorcycle community never will cease to amaze me and that the car community will always disappoint:

Car community:
Who's better than who BS, my car is faster, American vs. Domestic, look how many swaps I've done, etc. There is always some competition. Not much respect for the the fellow enthusiast.

Motorcycle community:
Everyone is welcome regardless of age, race, gender, creed, or bike owned. No competition, just a mutual interest. Much more respect for the fellow rider.

This is why the motorcycle community never will cease to amaze me and that the car community will always disappoint:

Car community:
Who's better than who BS, my car is faster, American vs. Domestic, look how many swaps I've done, etc. There is always some competition. Not much respect for the the fellow enthusiast.

Motorcycle community:
Everyone is welcome regardless of age, race, gender, creed, or bike owned. No competition, just a mutual interest. Much more respect for the fellow rider.

somewhat true. hence the little wave thing on the bike.

but you can't tell me that a harley rider doesn't evil eye the sport bike every time they pass...it's just how it is. there is no group on the face of the planet that doesn't have some sort of disdain for another group of similar but different interest.

somewhat true. hence the little wave thing on the bike.

but you can't tell me that a harley rider doesn't evil eye the sport bike every time they pass...it's just how it is. there is no group on the face of the planet that doesn't have some sort of disdain for another group of similar but different interest.

I know that this world is not free from any sort of animosity between groups but this whole "newb/female hazing" is a bit ridiculous.

I, personally, have made a lot of harley-rider friends and not all of them share that same "disdain" for sportbikers.

Anyway, during my Master's work, intend to study the different motorcycle subcultures.

....and mosh pitters...

seriously. you're more likely to get stabbed at a dave mathews show than a slayer show

....and mosh pitters...

seriously. you're more likely to get stabbed at a dave mathews show than a slayer show

Ewww... Dave Matthews.... *gags*

Best group of people I've ever been to a show with are Coheed & Cambria fans. FTMFW!

wait, Coheed & Cambria has fans?

I take it you're not one of us.... :p

(and I'm not talking about the bandwagoners who played Welcome Home on Rock Band and from that became a fan) lol

I went to their Neverender show (4 days straight where they played each album in it's entirety and in order) and the fans there were so great. Plus, their music is simply incredible. I love how it tells a story and how Claudio has a whole comic that the lyrics are based around. Simply genius.

duh

this is gonna sound stupid but i just registered on here to get help....and i cant figure out how to post a new thread.....only how to reply to other ones..can someone tell me where i go on here to post a new thread.thanks:huh:

Back