K20 Type-R or B18c5 Type-R???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok, this went downhill pretty fast, answer a couple questions, what is your budget? not what you wish you had real money in dollars ex: I have XXX,XXX to spend, second do YOU think you're capable and have the tools necessary? and 3. what are your goals for the car I know you want to turbo for what? daily, track, both?. the answers regarding moving over to an LS motor are probably pointing you in a better direction then the type-r or k20 engines, yes you can tune 10.0+ compression with turbo, but it is easier to start off with lower compression. The overall cost of each potential swap, k20,type-r, LS(b18a), vary then you will have to consider the cost of the turbo (the right turbo) for the engine itself and horsepower goals. so again 3 things budget, Your capability, and purpose for the car.

If he had the money for a c5 or a k20 he wouldn't have bought a beat-to-shit 89 hatch to put it in.

If he had the money for a c5 or a k20 he wouldn't have bought a beat-to-shit 89 hatch to put it in.

Agree'd this is how we pissed him off the 1st time and he flipped! If I had that kind of money laying around I'd proably have a 99 Si as a bace or someting! :ph34r:

Meanwhile, a war has started, and the thread still remains unanswered. Im surprised this hasn't been locked yet. Not saying it should, but even still... let's just help the guy out. I would help, but Im a noob myself, so, well, can't help much.

Ok, this went downhill pretty fast, answer a couple questions, what is your budget? not what you wish you had real money in dollars ex: I have XXX,XXX to spend, second do YOU think you're capable and have the tools necessary? and 3. what are your goals for the car I know you want to turbo for what? daily, track, both?. the answers regarding moving over to an LS motor are probably pointing you in a better direction then the type-r or k20 engines, yes you can tune 10.0+ compression with turbo, but it is easier to start off with lower compression. The overall cost of each potential swap, k20,type-r, LS(b18a), vary then you will have to consider the cost of the turbo (the right turbo) for the engine itself and horsepower goals. so again 3 things budget, Your capability, and purpose for the car.

Thanks guys. I bought the car because my old car is fucked. I just needed something to drive so i bought it from a coworker. There is a lot i dont like about the car right now but im kinda in love with it. I have about 8 or 9 grand that i can put into it. heck i might even buy another car. who knows??? if i do i'll probably still keep this one as a project. I am not totally capable of the build right now but i am trying to learn as much as i can every day. i have been reading a lot. Why the LS and not just the base GSR B18c? Turbo for street and track. Im not going to be driving every where like a bat out of hell but i wanna have the power to leave someone in the dust

keep em comin guys

the great thing about car and most of all hondas you can build whatever the hell you want. i like B motors i myself have a b18c1 a step down from a type R but i like cuz i can go n/a or turbo so man go with what you like i find B's more fun to work on for me

:withstupid:

Yeah, I think it all comes down to what you like as well. If it's gonna be a daily driver, I would probably get a B series, and save a bit on economy. but, if you have a few grand to spend, your available to all options, just make sure you budget and make sure you have enough money for other parts to get the car going, not just enough to get the engine. IMHO. I would love to go turbo myself, but that would require me to take out my air conditioning, and when it hits 100+ temperatures here in Cali, I'm in trouble.

Hey what's up everyone?!? I recently purchased a 89 ef hatch from this guy who didnt take care of it at all. It's a real junker right now. I'm almost embarrassed to put pics up but they will come soon hahaha. Anyways...I am planning on doing a complete engine and tranny swap. My choices have come down to either K20 type-r or a B18C type-r. What do yall think would be the best for my car? I want to re-do the entire car(engine, suspension, interior,exterior,etc.) but I also want to put a turbo on it. Which engine do you think would have the best power to work with the turbo boost? Any help would be much appreciated :) I am still learning a lot about engine work so bare with me. I am stoked on this idea and need opinions. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!!

i WOULD GO WITH A B18C5 TYPE-R INSTED OF THE K20.....K20 IS A LONG PROCESS INSTED OF THE B18C5 CUS ITS FASTER TO DO
AND RUN THE VTEC WIRES DATS IT

have you ever thought of buying a k hatch already? i know you have the car and stuff but you can get them already done for less than building one yourself. i thought i would never be able to afford building a K. i still dont. but there are som any hatchys for sale with k-s in them. the freaking thing is like 5-6k for the motor. 1k for hondata new,axles,mounts,gear box,wiring harness. it adds up.

think realistically. from what i can gather you have more money than knowledge,which is ok.But keep in minds that alot of OG members have gotten into it while broke so they were able to learn from mistakes and find the cheapes routes.

back to topic. you want either the K or the B. My vote is B series. both cost in the same ballpark and make similar power. because of that you will be able to use the savings on the other essentials needed to make the car run right. ecu,axles,wiring harness, mounts,shift linkage,suspension etc.

good luck

who ya calling stupid?!!!?? lol well i have 4 55 a/c 4 windows down and 55mph
:withstupid:

Yeah, I think it all comes down to what you like as well. If it's gonna be a daily driver, I would probably get a B series, and save a bit on economy. but, if you have a few grand to spend, your available to all options, just make sure you budget and make sure you have enough money for other parts to get the car going, not just enough to get the engine. IMHO. I would love to go turbo myself, but that would require me to take out my air conditioning, and when it hits 100+ temperatures here in Cali, I'm in trouble.

Someone already said B18A1, and Ima say it too. Cheapest to build (versus a K series), itll be a hell of a lot easier to swap into you car, and I dont even think your budget would get you clear through a K swap let alone a boosted K.

FYI when someones tells it like it is, then you go talkin shit, your gunna draw a lot fire on yourself. Everytime. If you dont like some of the answers you get, guess what, aint shit you can do. This is a public forum. Its best just to let it roll.

Like it was said earlier, think of what you what you want as a finished project. You need to think beyond just the finished swap. You need to look at the whole picture. Are you going to be track and street? Just track? Just street?

I personaly did the K swap myself. I would not turn back. I have done several B series as well. However none of them compare to my K swap. I'm not knocking on the B series at all. I love them too. The K is just a whole other beast. Me myself I knew my goal was to go 11secs are better N/A. After several (4)B swaps I never hit that. My K hit that with out much help of performance parts.

Someone already said B18A1, and Ima say it too. Cheapest to build (versus a K series), itll be a hell of a lot easier to swap into you car, and I dont even think your budget would get you clear through a K swap let alone a boosted K.

FYI when someones tells it like it is, then you go talkin shit, your gunna draw a lot fire on yourself. Everytime. If you dont like some of the answers you get, guess what, aint shit you can do. This is a public forum. Its best just to let it roll.

lets try to stay on topic he asked if a B series type R or K type R. you saw how quickly it went downhill when other input was given. He wants to do one of the 2 so lets tell him which ones a better option.

I still say b series

Like it was said earlier, think of what you what you want as a finished project. You need to think beyond just the finished swap. You need to look at the whole picture. Are you going to be track and street? Just track? Just street?

I personaly did the K swap myself. I would not turn back. I have done several B series as well. However none of them compare to my K swap. I'm not knocking on the B series at all. I love them too. The K is just a whole other beast. Me myself I knew my goal was to go 11secs are better N/A. After several (4)B swaps I never hit that. My K hit that with out much help of performance parts.
if you could not hit 11 secs. with an N/A B i dont think you ad any clue what you wee doing,thats just my opinion though,onstly the K is overrated,and not woth it(in my eyes)

yours eyes must be bleeding with Kseries hate then. I thought so too when they first came out. those things are a beast. the reason why they are so great is that they make MORE power than any b series pound for pound.

injen the K- Hater.

ohh and it takes alot to make B series n/a crx hit 11/s.
a stock K20a2 can do it with minor bolt ons.

Last edited:
if you could not hit 11 secs. with an N/A B i dont think you ad any clue what you wee doing,thats just my opinion though,onstly the K is overrated,and not woth it(in my eyes)

n/a what car?

Back