Keyless ignition on a manual

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

this is probably a bad idea. i read about a kid who had one and started his car with it in gear and it drove down the street and hit the neighbors car, cops didnt believe him until he did it again with everyone standing there. the cop was so impressed he reduced the ticket, but what if your car drove in a lake or something

i have a hard time believing that unless this kids throttle was sticking at the time...

Get in your car, start it, leave the ebrake on, put it in first and let off the clutch.

If it rolls 10 feet, let alone 6 inches I'll give each of you a dollar.

Rev first off the E break will lock the rear wheels hondas are FWD unless you own a S2000 or NSX. the car WILL jump even with the E brake on!

how do I know this?

I HAD a civic with a 5 speed and a remote starter I use to have all kinds of fun with it =)

I would sit in the car and use my remote start so I would have controll over what happened.

If the car was in first gear with out the E brake on the car would start up and drive off since 600-700rpm in first gear is enough to keep it running and moving at about 5-7mph

If the E brake was on, the car WOULD lunge foward the backtires would just slide or if the brake wasnt pulled up really far it wouldnt hold enough and the wheels would roll.

They do make neutral switches for hondas however I never used one I would just put it in neutral before I got out of the car. and after installing a turbo timer I never had to worry about it again.

anyways rev8k depending on how many secs worth of turning over you have the remote starter set to it could easily roll 10 feet however my car was set to I think 1 or 2 secs of turning over so it would only go about 4 feet

Wheres my dollar?

I didn't say it wouldn't lunge when you drop the clutch, but it isn't going to lunge 6". I have had all manual transmissions and I've stalled all of them at least once with the Ebrake on.

On solid flat ground it's not going to just start rolling around the parking lot.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 7 2004, 11:45 PM
ya but on shitty raods it will lunge and roll
[post=413601]Quoted post[/post]​

If you're parking your car on a hill, you simply don't need a remote starter.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 5 2004, 03:32 PM
No, a big red 'START' button is ricey, unless it came with your car. Period. End of story.
[post=412692]Quoted post[/post]​

Come off it bro you're the one that wanted to put the big red honda emblem on your car :rolleyes:

I'm telling you FIRST HAND that even with the Ebrake on I've had my car lunge forward a few feet with 1-2 secs worth of turning over.

I'm not saying I think it will I KNOW IT WILL

why do I know this? well once again I DID IT IN MY CAR

go park your car in front of something, rig the clutch switch up so you can turn the car over with ouot the cluch put your car in 1st gear and turn it over for 2 secs then show me pictures of what you hit

once again why do I know will move even with the E brake...... becuase I did it and it was damn fun lol that was with my stock D15B7 those starter motors sure do put out a lot of torque

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 5 2004, 01:33 AM
you leave the car in gear and start it it will run into any object/ car/ person/
ITS 110% ILLEGAL
[post=412424]Quoted post[/post]​

My accord's clutch switch has always been broken, taught me REAL QUICK to press the cluch in when I start it.

As for bypassing the clutch, I think everyone is thinking into it a little bit too much. Not that I do, but if I did install one on a manual, I would simply bridge the starter output from the remote starter and connect it to the switch side of the clutch switch. Thus when the vehicle is cranking, it is also bypassing the clutch. Both are (+) polarity, so it would be simple. Then you retain the stock clutch in to start feature.
To make the remote start safer on the manual, you can use a pair of mercury switches. These are installed parallel on your shifter, and send a ground (-) signal if they are in any other position than neutral. You must be sure your remote start unit has a (-) wait to start input, usually used for diesel's wait to start light.

It is not a safe thing to do on a manual, because the car will roll. You can however make it less of a threat. There are too many variables to say that something will not go bad. Remeber, most remote starters try to crank 3 times before they shut down. So there you are, chasing your car down the street, youve almost caught up to it....you go to open the door to stop it..... then......that mother fucker cranks again. The chase is on.

Originally posted by 93Fury@Nov 10 2004, 01:07 PM
As for bypassing the clutch, I think everyone is thinking into it a little bit too much. Not that I do, but if I did install one on a manual, I would simply bridge the starter output from the remote starter and connect it to the switch side of the clutch switch. Thus when the vehicle is cranking, it is also bypassing the clutch. Both are (+) polarity, so it would be simple. Then you retain the stock clutch in to start feature.
To make the remote start safer on the manual, you can use a pair of mercury switches. These are installed parallel on your shifter, and send a ground (-) signal if they are in any other position than neutral. You must be sure your remote start unit has a (-) wait to start input, usually used for diesel's wait to start light.

It is not a safe thing to do on a manual, because the car will roll. You can however make it less of a threat. There are too many variables to say that something will not go bad. Remeber, most remote starters try to crank 3 times before they shut down. So there you are, chasing your car down the street, youve almost caught up to it....you go to open the door to stop it..... then......that mother fucker cranks again. The chase is on.
[post=414838]Quoted post[/post]​

Or you could just leave the goddamn car in neutral.

The new Lexus has a pretty cool set up , no key in the ignition.

Back