knock sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kbellamy

Hey, i am getting a JDM B18C in my 94 civic EX. im not sure if the B18 is ODB1 or ODB2 tho. if its OBD2 can i still use my civics engine harness, or do i have to buy a USDM OBD2 engine harness. Also, can i just use my P28 or should i swap out for the P72? is the knock sensor really important, since i think that is the only difference. thanks,

Kaleb

i didn't run a knock sensor on any of my swaps . just tune it well, or have someone do it for you who knows what they are doing. a mustang dyno works wonders for ignition timing.

the car will run slow as shit without one, but if you get your ecu chipped you can disable it and tune your car a little in the meantime

Originally posted by FFCiv@Mar 10 2005, 01:27 PM
the car will run slow as shit without one, but if you get your ecu chipped you can disable it and tune your car a little in the meantime
[post=471588]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, not really. If your ECU looks for one, than you will run into problems, but not having one, won't be a cause for bad performance.

Run a ECU that is chipped to not run one, and you are fine.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 11 2005, 04:10 PM-->
Originally posted by FFCiv@Mar 10 2005, 01:27 PM
[post=471588]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, not really. If your ECU looks for one, than you will run into problems, but not having one, won't be a cause for bad performance.

Run a ECU that is chipped to not run one, and you are fine.
[post=472346]Quoted post[/post]​

THats what i meant. My ecu for my b16a isnt chipped yet and imy knock sensor isnt hooked up and teh car is slow as shit especially at higher speeds

Tim@Canspeed.com
@Mar 17 2005, 05:59 PM
VTEC will not engage if the ecu does not see a knock sensor. All DOHC VTEC engines are equipped with knock sensors.
[post=475003]Quoted post[/post]​

Im pretty sure thats not true at all. My car is throwing:
23- Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
98 * 96-98 n/a n/a 94-97 n/a 92-98
KS (Knock Sensor)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor
* not a valid code if V-6 engine
and i still hit vtec but it runs real rich, burns f oil and doesnt feel any faster

VTEC will not engage if the (OEM, non-modified) ecu does not see a knock sensor. Trust me. I have ran into this problem on numerous engine swaps here at the shop.

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Mar 18 2005, 07:24 AM
VTEC will not engage if the (OEM, non-modified) ecu does not see a knock sensor. Trust me. I have ran into this problem on numerous engine swaps here at the shop.
[post=475206]Quoted post[/post]​

Simply put, that is not always true. In Europe B16A2's at least, did not come with a knock sensor, the ECUs do not look for one either. US and Japan, yes, but not everywhere.

Originally posted by lakaicrxracer@Mar 18 2005, 02:27 AM
does anyone have any pics of the knock sensor on the back of the block? im cofused theres like 3 whats the rest of them?
[post=475234]Quoted post[/post]​

the small one with one metal prong sticking off of it is the oil pressure sensing unit, the one with two brass prongs sticking off of it has soemthing to do with coolant temperature, and the knock sensor is the one closest to the deck (top of the block, where the head bolts to) which has one tiny prong on the inside of the connector. you cant miss it.

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Mar 18 2005, 01:24 AM

I have a pr3 I'm throwing code 23 because my knock sensor is not wired yet, and I here and feel vtec kick in never miss a beat, my vafc even confirms it.

Simply put, that is not always true. In Europe B16A2's at least, did not come with a knock sensor, the ECUs do not look for one either. US and Japan, yes, but not everywhere.

If the ECU was designed to utilize a knock sensor and one is not present, VTEC will not engage. Again, unless the ECU has been modified.

If the European B16A2 did not come with a knock sensor then obviously it will not look for one! I didn't explain this because I thought that was rather obvious!

Feel free to prove me wrong with some concrete evidence! :D

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Mar 18 2005, 06:46 PM
[post=475366]Quoted post[/post]​

Prove you wrong about what? That an ECU that is programmed to look for a knock sensor can not throw a CEL if it doesn't see one in some instance outside of being chipped? No, because that is true. I am just putting out information that not ALL B series have knock sensor, or ECUs that look for them :)

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Mar 18 2005, 01:24 AM

so why can i hit vtec then?

Originally posted by darien234+Mar 18 2005, 11:47 AM-->
Tim@Canspeed.com
@Mar 18 2005, 01:24 AM

I have a pr3 I'm throwing code 23 because my knock sensor is not wired yet, and I here and feel vtec kick in never miss a beat, my vafc even confirms it.
[post=475337]Quoted post[/post]​

what motor do you have?

Same problem same thing as me and Vtec does kick in

Originally posted by FFCiv+Mar 18 2005, 02:57 PM-->
Originally posted by darien234@Mar 18 2005, 11:47 AM
Tim@Canspeed.com
@Mar 18 2005, 01:24 AM

[post=475337]Quoted post[/post]​

what motor do you have?

Same problem same thing as me and Vtec does kick in
[post=475458]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a built Z6 I need a GSR Block for my B165A.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 18 2005, 02:03 PM-->
Tim@Canspeed.com
@Mar 18 2005, 06:46 PM

Prove you wrong about what? That an ECU that is programmed to look for a knock sensor can not throw a CEL if it doesn't see one in some instance outside of being chipped? No, because that is true. I am just putting out information that not ALL B series have knock sensor, or ECUs that look for them :)
[post=475417]Quoted post[/post]​

That wasn't really directed at you. I should have stated that. My apologies.

For those of us who disagree however. Ask this question. Why must you install a knock sensor in the B18 block when doing an LS/VTEC?

Tip: It's not 'cause it's pretty!

I'm done! I have used up all of my argument credits for today!

Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com+Mar 18 2005, 06:29 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 18 2005, 02:03 PM
Tim@Canspeed.com
Feel free to prove me wrong with some concrete evidence!  :D

For those of us who disagree however. Ask this question. Why must you install a knock sensor in the B18 block when doing an LS/VTEC?

[post=475536]Quoted post[/post]​

First, you don't "have to" install one. it's your preference. second, because b18a/b blocks don't have knock sensors. third, all you need to do is run a VTEC ECU that doesn't look for a knock I.E. a P28...or run a chipped VTEC ECU that won't look for a knock

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR+Mar 19 2005, 07:50 AM-->
Originally posted by Tim@Canspeed.com@Mar 18 2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 18 2005, 02:03 PM
Tim@Canspeed.com

[post=475536]Quoted post[/post]​

First, you don't "have to" install one. it's your preference. second, because b18a/b blocks don't have knock sensors. third, all you need to do is run a VTEC ECU that doesn't look for a knock I.E. a P28...or run a chipped VTEC ECU that won't look for a knock
[post=475626]Quoted post[/post]​

Enough.

Back