Lack of EFs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Another thing is that cars now are so bloated and heavy that is not helping the mpg too much.

Thats what I was going to say. Cars from the early 90s are lighter because not all of them had all the safety features like front/rear/side/top/bottom airbags, or other luxuries like navigation systems, in dash cd players, seat belts, heavier beams in the door, overall a larger frame altogether, etc.

It's not that it's getting worse gas mileage persay, it's just heavier. A 2000 Civic coupe is 2612 lbs without a driver, a 1990 Civic coupe is what 2100 +/- lbs without a driver?

early model honda>late model hondas
and ive had that feeling ever since i got into hondas

i've been saying that for years. i truly believe that oil companies purchase the patents for highly efficient engines and don't allow them to be mass produced. i find it hard to believe that the high mileage crx hf peaked engine technology in 1990. so in 18 years we can't make an engine that is pure petrol that gets over 45 mpg?

sometimes i think that too. tho i'm sure weight and emmissions affect it somewhat. but they do say aerodynamics factor more heavily into mpg than weight.
maybe it's just conspiracy theory, but chevron owns the patent or the rights to the patent for the Panasonic NiMH batteries from the ev-1.

Back