Linux?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

I've been wanting to get a machine going to run linux for a while. I've read most of the threads around here about it but still unclear about some things. For those that saw my other thread last week, i pulled together a computer from a couple old ones. My main use for it is going to be to store my music and videos, because i'm tired of having my laptop hd full all the time, and i really only need 10 maybe 20 gigs of music on it. the desktop i put together is an Athlon 1800 w/ 512 ram, onboard 32mb graphics and a 250gb hd that should arrive in the mail this week.

So like i said i mainly want it for data storage, and to learn my way around the o/s, but i was also wondering about dual booting so i can have AutoCAD and ArchiCAD on it, along w/ some other programs. Do i have to run a separate hd, or can it just be partitioned?

So for you guys that have some experience with this stuff, what versions of linux should i check out that would be easy for a beginner and would work for what i need?

Ubuntu is probably going to be your best bet if youre just getting started. If youve got stuff already on a windows partition, be sure and save it to a DVD or another computer on the network first (cause sometimes File Systems do get corrupted).

Once you have ubuntu installed, id suggest reading up on Samba (its pretty straight forward for those with intermediate computer knowledge). Samba support is built into the Ubuntu 6.10 Live CD (also suggested to use the Live CD if youre a linux noobie). Samba allows linux to show its partitions as windows shares. (ie, /home/dustin can be accessed as //Dustin-Linux/Dustin on the windows machine....all youll have to do is on the windows box is Map the network drive and give it a letter).

Since it sounds like you just want another storage machine, thatll be your best bet.

Once you have samaba configured for file storage, your basically left to explore linux for things you might wanna do (like host your own web server, learn mysql, learn php, etc)

god knows there are a hand full of us that can answer linux questions (know that most of MY linux knowledge centers around server maintenance and administrator...lsvtec and some of the others are more suited to answer home use questions)

So i have read through this write up on KDE vs. Gnome, and it seems that gnome is going to produce a more stable system and allow me to change the look of everything a lot easier than KDE would. Now does anyone know if the differences discussed on that page apply to kubuntu/ubuntu or are these both pretty noob friendly?

i use gnome....but im one of the few gnome freaks in my office (which i dont get at all). its not a big difference. I think GSRCRXsi went with kde for his first install, and he said he loves it. Its just a preference thing.

first linux distro i ever played with was gnome (Fedora Core) and ive just used it ever since.

OK, so i got my hard drive today, now i am getting ready to do the install.

I have one more quick question i'm hoping someone can answer soon. On Demonoid i found this "ultimate" version of Ubuntu with a bunch of other software, including Beryl. Now would this be a good idea for me as a noob to get or should i get a regular version and install what i need from there?

Forgot the link..
Demonoid.com - Ubuntu Ultimate ver 1.3

Last edited:
id recommend just getting whatever distro is listed on ubuntu.org

much safer and more reliable. (and if you hit a snag while installing i might actually be able to help)

Back