Log vs. HF manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

So i am starting my budget turbo project and when it comes to the manifold I was pretty set on making my own log manifold(basically follow Ji's post). But now i am wondering if i will get better performance with a HF manifold, preferably an std one i think, cuz most people with budget setups run them. I was just wondering if any of you knew or had opinions on my manifold delema.

worrying about flow on such a low-power setup is really kinda pointless.

hf manifold will put you over 200 with ease

i don't think either are the best bet for performance...

if you need special turbo placement to clear a/c, or your radiator then make a log manifold, if the HF will work, and you'd rather spend your time doing better things then just use that

you can also port match the HF manifold to make it flow better

and note to projectxspeed, the hf will not work on an LS but i am sure you know that...

I did b and d don't play nice together. Pissedoffsol you don't think I could hit like 12.7-12.9 on nice street tires on the 1/4

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 16 2004, 09:57 AM
worrying about flow on such a low-power setup is really kinda pointless.

hf manifold will put you over 200 with ease
[post=433075]Quoted post[/post]​

really? that's my goal(200hp) so i like the sound of that. So basically there is no difference? hmmmm......so no-one has any experiences with any of these?

CAN it be done- sure.

but you'll need a wad of power from 3rd gear on.

tracks are slippery as hell on street tires. its like trying to launch in the rain.

there's a difference, but what B is saying, at a low power level such as 200hp, the flow restriction of either manifold isn't going to make a huge difference

that said, to hit 12's on street tires is tough enough, trying to do it on a poorly designed log manifold or HF manifold is stupid

if your goals are that high, spend the money and at the very least get an inlinepro manny

Well I think i have decided to build my own. Now i just gotta decide which welder to get. I am thinking either a Hobart 135 or 140, not too sure yet and yes i know that a tig is better buy when you dont have the $$$ a mig will do just fine for this project and other's. If anyone has ever owned any of the two welders i have mentioned feel free to give me your $.02 on them. Thanks for the opinions!

Originally posted by 92CHB@Dec 18 2004, 02:22 AM
Well I think i have decided to build my own. Now i just gotta decide which welder to get. I am thinking either a Hobart 135 or 140, not too sure yet and yes i know that a tig is better buy when you dont have the $$$ a mig will do just fine for this project and other's. If anyone has ever owned any of the two welders i have mentioned feel free to give me your $.02 on them. Thanks for the opinions!
[post=434034]Quoted post[/post]​

ok correct me if i'm wrong but your on a budget??? why spend 350-450$ on a welder and a week makeing a manifold when you can spend that money and effort on the project. If this is your first time welding exaust is gonna be a bit hard not burning threw and getting all the leaks out. just get a DX or HF mani and be done and save the energy on other things. import builds has a log style that will clear AC buts its for a T3 i think

and for hitting 12's with street tires why not???? M/T drag radials are street tires right SOL???? my $.02

Originally posted by BoogieDown+Dec 20 2004, 12:04 PM-->
@Dec 18 2004, 02:22 AM
[post=434034]Quoted post[/post]​

ok correct me if i'm wrong but your on a budget??? why spend 350-450$ on a welder and a week makeing a manifold when you can spend that money and effort on the project. If this is your first time welding exaust is gonna be a bit hard not burning threw and getting all the leaks out. just get a DX or HF mani and be done and save the energy on other things. import builds has a log style that will clear AC buts its for a T3 i think

and for hitting 12's with street tires why not???? M/T drag radials are street tires right SOL???? my $.02
[post=434822]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes i am on a budget, think of it as me testing the waters of FI. But tools can be used all the time and i have been planning on getting one way before this project idea started. And to me i'll get alot a hell of a lot more gratification out of building the manifold and down pipe my self instead of spending money to buy something some one already made.

Back