Lost Power No familar Loud Vtec Sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

Well I searched around the forums and found nothing on this so let me post it here! Well I was driving my h accord last night and it was running great goin into vtec and pulling hard! I met my g/f after work and headed home.. we get next to each other and decide to race.. i drop it into third and at hit it.. when all of a sudden i lose a bunch of power. I slow down knowing something was wrong. and i floor it and i go into where vtec ushually pulls and i do not hear the familiar loud sound! I go home park it and try again.. I took a look at my wiring to make sure nothing came loose! and visualy inspected the engine bay! i take it out again today let it warm up and try goin into vtec. It sounds like it goes into vtec but it is a very small sound when it kicks in.. and there is no power. my v-afc is telling me its getting the power to the solenoids and sensor. if it was a bad wire my v-afc would let me know. Ushually when i hit vtec it screams it and pulls like a son of a biotch! No codes come on when i start it... only after 15min, and thats becuase of oxygen sensors bad! Whats WRONG?

if this had anything to do with it.. being the distributor possible bad. It should not be! I just put a brand new one in it last week! From dist. King.. they are brand new not remanufactured!

this happened to a friend of mine, when he slamed it into 3rd on the freeway his car went into vtec for about 5 secs and then fell out of vtec and lost tramendous power felt really slow, his fuel cutoff also went down to 6500RPM and later on that week his fuel cutoff went down to 3500RPM.. the problem with his was that when he slammed it into 3rd on the freeway his motor hit something in the engine bay prolly the firewall and cracked his TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) you might want to check if that is cracked or not, in case you don't know it's on the Throttle body....let me know if that was the prob or not... hope this helps

hmm thats a good point. but there is no check engine lights, and it runs perfect at idle and and before i go into vtec!

still might want to check it out, that's a famous mishap in the h22 swaps into accords and integras/civics, that's usually one of the first things to go wrong in any, check engine light wont' always go on i don't trust that thing, lol, i pulled out my check engine light bulb cuz it would go off for no reason and sometime when something went wrong i wouldn't come on, for example my ecu was spitting out code 7 (TPS) but my CEL wasn't on, just check it out and if not also look and make sure that all your oil lines are connected securely b/c if your head isn't getting enough oil sometimes the ecu won't let the VTEC cross over b/c of oil inssuficency(SP), also double check and see if your VTEC Solenoid is connected to properly and securely and that it is getting power, check all the ground wires, especially the VTEC ground on ecu and engine bay.... hope all this helps but these are all suggestions and what COULD be wrong with your vtec engagement..... but hopefully something here helps you solve your prob.... good luck

why dont you get a new o2 sensor since you say the one you have is bad. the ecu probably went into limp mode, protecting itself from possible damage.

if you use any oil or fuel additives i would suggest stop using them. the wrong additive can cause premature failure of your o2 sensor.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 04:30 PM
why dont you get a new o2 sensor since you say the one you have is bad. the ecu probably went into limp mode, protecting itself from possible damage.

if you use any oil or fuel additives i would suggest stop using them. the wrong additive can cause premature failure of your o2 sensor.

Oxygen sensors have nothing to do with vtec! It will make them run rich not prevent them from going in vtec!

Anyways.. I dont think my vtec is really coming on.. it shows that its getting juice to the vafc but it doesnt have the familiar loud sound of vtec and it doesnt show me the vtec power! on bottom end it runs like a champ!

Also I checked oil.. that looked a bit low.. about a half a quart and that didnt help! i took of the solenoid also to see if that was clogged! it looks fine!

an o2 sensor wont stop a honda from goin into vtec? an o2 sensor reads the out going gases from the engine to determine if it needs to lean it out or richen it up. an o2 sensor works all the way to wot, unless you have a wide band o2 sensor.

personal experience...i didnt have an o2 hooked up to my ecu when i first bought my 96 ex b16 hybrid and i threw an engine code quick causing the ecu to go into limp mode. if the ecu trips on any fuel/air problems it will go limp.

but im sure i dont know what im talkin about, i just took a class called OBDII: Taming The Beast.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I disagree. I had a knock sensor code, and oxygen sensor code initially after my swap. VTEC worked fine, although the computer was limp. It protected itself by retarding the timing to prevent detonation.

Across the board, you're probably right, but in this instance, I can confirm that VTEC will work.

Originally posted by simplyfast@Dec 20 2003, 11:28 PM
an o2 sensor wont stop a honda from goin into vtec? an o2 sensor reads the out going gases from the engine to determine if it needs to lean it out or richen it up. an o2 sensor works all the way to wot, unless you have a wide band o2 sensor.

personal experience...i didnt have an o2 hooked up to my ecu when i first bought my 96 ex b16 hybrid and i threw an engine code quick causing the ecu to go into limp mode. if the ecu trips on any fuel/air problems it will go limp.

but im sure i dont know what im talkin about, i just took a class called OBDII: Taming The Beast.

:newbie:
MR O2 guy! It ran fine 20 min before that and a week before that... and guess what? It had a C.E.L for the O2 sensor!

Alright so hey I went out and i disconnected my v-afc and put it back to normal! And va la... as soon as i start my car and give it three seconds my c.e.l comes on! I run the code and its 22... i think its vtec psi if im right! anyways its the blue and black wire on the ecu side. well the wire visualy looks good where I originally spliced into it for my controller! i double checked that and it seems to be all connected! But yeah that doesnt mean it didnt get snapped somewhere else where we cant see! How do i test what ever exactly code 22 is! im almost positive its the vtec pressure switch! unfortuently i dont have my chilton handy!

I feel like I walk into a big wall every time I ask a question! Im coming to the point where everyones HONDA is perfect and theyve never had problems!

Code 22 is VTEC systems malfunction. a friend of mine had the same problem with his turbo gsr. we thought it was wiring but couldn't find any problems with it. the only things I can think of are things people already have suggested (oil, wiring, VTEC solonoid).

the only other thing I can suggest is take it to honda.

well according to Hondaswaps here code list and my chilton it says code 22 is:
22*- Accord Civic CRV CRX Del Sol Odyssey Prelude
94-98 92-98 n/a n/a 93-97 98 93-98`
VTEC Oil Pressure Switch
defective circuit or unplugged / defective oil pressure switch
* not a valid code if car does not have a VTEC engine

Back