Ls Rods

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ALLMOTO

I was thinking of turbocharging my B18B, but how much boost will the rods take? I was going to get forged pistons, block guard, girdle and intercooler. I might get a hondata eventually.

u must not know the man "stupid"
this guy ran 11s with a stock ls block
he dyno over 280hp and shot 50 direct
all he got is a block gaurd

Originally posted by tomtom@Apr 14 2003, 10:23 PM
u must not know the man "stupid"
this guy ran 11s with a stock ls block
he dyno over 280hp and shot 50 direct
all he got is a block gaurd

streetwise that wouldn't last long

st00pid is an INSANE tuner. he's probably #1 or #2 at worst as far as tuning gods go. that ls/t car is his girlfreinds. go figure it being sick.

also, its got hondata. Frankly, if the choice were stronger rods or fuel management, hondata would own over aftermarket rods any day for reliablilty.

someone i know out here can build a turbo set up and tune it on stock ls internals to 245-250 hp consistently, and yes they last my friend has put about 16,000 miles on his setup and its still running fine

Originally posted by Baker@Apr 15 2003, 12:44 AM
someone i know out here can build a turbo set up and tune it on stock ls internals to 245-250 hp consistently, and yes they last my friend has put about 16,000 miles on his setup and its still running fine

ask ur friend how much power can a ls block with crower rods and je pistons take
no block gaurd or sleeves...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 15 2003, 01:39 AM
hondata tuned, 350
hacked, chipped, gayed out, 220

i m going 4 hondata with boost and the new nitrous program.
i take it i can t get 400hp out of the crower rods and je piston.
Or is it the walls??

Originally posted by allm0t0rsir@Apr 14 2003, 03:58 PM
if your going to get all that just get after market rods.... stock ls rods can handle about 10lbs boost on a stock motor

if my daily driven d16a6 can take 10psi on stock internals, and ls shoud be able to do 12-14 with good fuel management. :p

we made 293whp and 272 tq on shami's stock LS with a block guard on pump gas, The car is still running strong after a year and a half of 11 second runs,street racing, and daily driving in hellish houston traffic. The only failure has been a 10yr slave cylinder and a 3 year old stage 5 clutch masters clutch ( it was installed used from my 500whp street hatch.)

The longevity of the motor can be attributed to a conservative tune and the fact that we take pretty good care of the maintenance of the car.

jason

Originally posted by st00pid@Apr 16 2003, 01:09 AM
we made 293whp and 272 tq on shami's stock LS with a block guard on pump gas, The car is still running strong after a year and a half of 11 second runs,street racing, and daily driving in hellish houston traffic. The only failure has been a 10yr slave cylinder and a 3 year old stage 5 clutch masters clutch ( it was installed used from my 500whp street hatch.)

The longevity of the motor can be attributed to a conservative tune and the fact that we take pretty good care of the maintenance of the car.

jason

About time bro.

everyone was doubting the ls block.
I guess i better tear the head off and install a block gaurd.

hehe. I might make some people mad, but I might go with a LS/VTEC instead (NA). Will the stock rods handle 8k pretty good? So long as I get all of the internals balanced? I was thinking of using the stock crank and ITR pistons.

Originally posted by ALLMOTO@Apr 16 2003, 09:28 PM
hehe. I might make some people mad, but I might go with a LS/VTEC instead (NA). Will the stock rods handle 8k pretty good? So long as I get all of the internals balanced? I was thinking of using the stock crank and ITR pistons.

Ls bottoms are not meant to be revved high. You can probably get 8k though, don't be looking for no 9-10k thought.
8k might blow it, im not really sure

Originally posted by ALLMOTO@Apr 16 2003, 09:28 PM

u wont come close to 250 hp they will do fine.
Just take ur block to a manchine shop and get it balance
(If u get the rods shot pinn balance and the crankshaft micro polish it ill run around $400)

I've been running a 97 EX with a GSR swap and the following for 12 months now of daily driving and weekly track runs.
Low compression head gasket
cam gears
440cc injectors
apex SAFC
Clutch masters HDCB
Quaife Diff
Turbo kit including: t3/t40E 60 trim turbo, InlinePRO stainless steel exhaust manifold, Turbosmart 38mm wastegate, Front mount intercooler, Greddy Type S bov, FMU, 255lph intank fuel pump, slim line fan
Turbo smart duel stage boost controler, 12 psi street, 20 psi strip
apexi exhaust
And one hell of a tuning job.
All with stock internals
The shop that did the work has multiple cars over the last 8 years still being driven with the same setups

Its all in the tuning

Back