LS/VTEC timing belt cover?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jevs

Does anyone run a timing belt cover on their LS/VTEC? I am worried a rock or something might get in there and mess things up, but the stock cover doesn't work and I have adjustable cam gears I want to show off :) I was thinking of trying to make a plexiglass cover or something, but I figured I would check to see if anyone else has a cover on their LS/VTEC. My car is comeing together, been working on it like mad lately.

http://www.16vminiclub.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10660

I didn't get a timing cover on my Vtec head, but I didn't think they mated with the b18B bottom cover?

Originally posted by brian11to1@Apr 6 2005, 12:31 AM
just cut the valve cover and timing belt covers to show the CG's off...

Brian
[post=483524]Quoted post[/post]​

the "bottom cover" is called an engine block and the valve cover is part of the head....just buy one on ebay or any performance store or in the buy/sell forums....and in the pics you have it looks like you have one ...so just cut the part that covers the cam gears

Hmm. You people do know that timing belt covers are plastic and not part of the block or head right? They fasten on with things called bolts. They cover the cam gears and timing belt to keep dirt, rocks, and debris out. There are two pieces to this setup. A bottom plastic piece and a top plastic piece. Ok, now that I hope we are all on the same page with what a timing belt cover is, what do people that build LS/Vtecs do for a timing belt cover, or does no one bother running them? I do not have the top plastic timing belt cover that originally came on the B16 block. I do have the top and bottom covers that came on my B18B1. Obviously the bottom still fits because it bolts to the B18B1 Block. The top cover no longer fits as it was designed to fit an LS head. Now here is the part of the equation I don't know. does anyone have an upper timing belt/cam gear cover that works on LS/Vtec motors? In other words I want to keep a big f'ing rock from dropping in and saying hello to my timing belt and destroying my motor. As a bonus it would be nice to still see the cam gears via a clear plastic piece or something.

Thanks
Please ignore the sarcasm if your replying and you know what the heck a timing belt cover is :)

Oh, forgot to mention that I have already cut the valve cover lip off the edge to expose the cam gears, so I know a stock cover for a b16 (if it can be used), would have to be modified at the top with a bolted on piece of plexiglass or something. Any links to LS/Vtec motor pics would be nice to see. I know on drag cars they don't worry about it, so I would like to see some LS/Vtec street cars.

use the cover for the head on the head and the cover for the block on the block....i dont have the top cover of my lsv and i dont think its imperative.... its been like that for about a year...ive had no problems.... but use the b16 cover for the b16 head

Back