LSDs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All right honestly i don't know a whole lot about lsd's, all i know is that they're supposed to bias power between the drive wheels, they help cornering, and help driving on slippery conditions. But which ones are good. I've only found 3 for CRX's:

ATS metal 16 disc
ATS metal 20 disc
ATS carbon
Kaaz
Quaife

I looked at ATS cuz i know they make a lot of high quality stuff and the carbon lsd is supposed to be to super quiet. And i heard people on this site talking about the Kaaz lsd's. And i looked at Quaife because it doesn't rely on friction plates to bias the power. But what kinds of experiences have you guys had with your lsd's or what would you recommend.

Note: I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where it snows like 6 months out of the year, and then it rains another 3 months out of the remaining 6 months in a year. Plus the CRX doesn't have ABS so i need something.

I forgot to mention that all of the ATS lsd's and the Kaaz lsd require that i swap a b16a engine into my CRX which i'm not sure if i want to do.

Originally posted by exospeed*com@Feb 21 2005, 01:20 AM
You have to let us know which engine and transmission you are using?
[post=463729]Quoted post[/post]​

At the moment it's stock, but i'm looking at either swapping in the b16a or going with a mini-me.

Imo, if you have not swapped yet, then i would get a complete swap 1st gen B16a obd0 with the oem LSD already installed. just my .02

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 21 2005, 09:56 AM
Stock what???

What are you going to use the LSD for? Drag/Auto-X?
[post=463816]Quoted post[/post]​

It's only stock for the moment i haven't decided if i want to swap or go with a mini-me, but it's certainly NOT going to remain stock.

the jdm oem lsd, is it 1-way, 1.5-way, or 2-way? Does anyone know.

Oh and no i'm not looking towards drag, possibly auto-x.

Originally posted by Panther550+Feb 21 2005, 05:16 PM-->
AllMotorMonster
@Feb 21 2005, 09:56 AM
Stock what???

What are you going to use the LSD for? Drag/Auto-X?
[post=463816]Quoted post[/post]​

It's only stock for the moment i haven't decided if i want to swap or go with a mini-me, but it's certainly NOT going to remain stock.

the jdm oem lsd, is it 1-way, 1.5-way, or 2-way? Does anyone know.

Oh and no i'm not looking towards drag, possibly auto-x.
[post=464116]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe I didn't make myself clear panther,

Or maybe you need to stop taking LSD yourself.

Stock WHAT??

Stock LS
Stock GSR
Stock SIR
Stock D15
Stock D16
Stock car racing
Nascar Stock
Stock the fridge
Stock the bar
Buy Stock in Google

WHAT do you have STOCK??????

JDM LSD from what?

You need to be specific, there are LOTS of STOCK parts out there.

Not drag? Possibly Auto-X?

What else is there? You just want this for the bling factor?

Sorry man, bit of a blonde moment :p

It's a stock D16A6, but i think I am going to swap in a B16A engine just so that i can get higher numbers without having to run on high octane or race fuel.

JDM lsd from a first gen B16a.

And if YOU would read my first post you would see that my main reason for wanting an lsd is for traction control, cuz it snows and rains a lot where i live, k?

And i'd need something to help me stick to the road seeing as how CRX's don't have ABS.

Still Confused? :p

quaife gets the vote hands down.

BUT, wait. don't put a diff in the d16a6 tranny. it WONT work in your b-series tranny once you do the swap.

Do the swap.
buy the sir 1 that comes with the LSD and leave it
or buy the sir1 that doesn't come with an LSD and install the quaiffe.

the quaiffe is stronger, but also about 500 bucks more.

for your application, i would go quaifee also. i have the ATS 16 disk LSD and it sucks driving it on the street. on the road course its great though.

I've got OEM LSD's in my Si and GS-R and I love them in the wet. Matt had a Kaaz in his GS-R coupe, then went to Quaiffe and will be switching back to a Kaaz shortly. I think it's because it kicks in quicker.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Feb 23 2005, 12:22 PM
I've got OEM LSD's in my Si and GS-R and I love them in the wet. Matt had a Kaaz in his GS-R coupe, then went to Quaiffe and will be switching back to a Kaaz shortly. I think it's because it kicks in quicker.
[post=465165]Quoted post[/post]​

Where does matt do most of his driving though, cuz i'll be on the street mainly, also i read somewhere that Quaife type lsd's break, eventhough i've heard a lot of good things about them.

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/lsdinfo.html

That's the site that said they break, plus some guy on another forum said that Quaife lsd's needed the tires to slip a bit before kicking in.

Matt's coupe was his daily driver down in Florida... but his suspension is too stiff for Boston streets, so he drives my cars mostly. lol. Otherwise, he autocrosses and used to go to Sebring for driving events. Quaiffe's have a lifetime warranty which is nice. But if you're just street driving, an OEM one should be just fine. Frequent aggressive cornering is what really wears on them.

The D-series OEM LSD is a clutch-type whereas the teg's CTR/ITR one is a helical-type.

Originally posted by Panther550@Feb 23 2005, 01:15 AM
Sorry man, bit of a blonde moment  :p

It's a stock D16A6, but i think I am going to swap in a B16A engine just so that i can get higher numbers without having to run on high octane or race fuel.

JDM lsd from a first gen B16a.

And if YOU would read my first post you would see that my main reason for wanting an lsd is for traction control, cuz it snows and rains a lot where i live, k?

And i'd need something to help me stick to the road seeing as how CRX's don't have ABS.

Still Confused? :p
[post=464983]Quoted post[/post]​

1- D16A6 is a bit different from B16A, the trannys are not the same and the OEM LSD only came on the ZC black top that would fit your D-series tranny (with SOME work)

2- If you're going to get a B16 and run 87 octane in it, stop now and keep your 1.6 SOHC. The SiR engine requires 91+ octane fuel due to high compression.

3- JDM LSD from a OBD-0 Integra? Or are you thinking of a SiR2 B16A? (OBD1 or 2)

4- LSD is NOT traction control in the snow. It takes power from the wheel that is slipping and applys MORE power to the wheel that has GRIP. Snow & Rain will NOT make this better, only worse.

5- ABS for grip? What does Anti Lock Brakes have to due with gripping the road?

My suggestion - Sell the CRX and buy a Subaru AWD.

Back