Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay so tomorrow is another layer of the sandable primer. Then the day after that wetsanding and the following day cleanup/paint. Then hopefully she'll be good to go. Minor setback, but I wanted it to look good. And none of my fucking parts have showed up anyway, so I cant really do anything mechanically.

Hey man if you want help on your car paint wise I would be more than happy to help if you bought the paint. I have all the equipment just no car to paint and no paint. lol but I live in Colorado so still quite a drive.

By the way you are incredibily smart for laying so many coats of primer and epoxy. It will all pay off in the end when you are rolling around in the cleanest car in town. But the step you really wanna take your time on would have to be clear coat. Shoot like 5 coats of that and buff it it will look like a show car.

Hey man if you want help on your car paint wise I would be more than happy to help if you bought the paint. I have all the equipment just no car to paint and no paint. lol but I live in Colorado so still quite a drive.

By the way you are incredibily smart for laying so many coats of primer and epoxy. It will all pay off in the end when you are rolling around in the cleanest car in town. But the step you really wanna take your time on would have to be clear coat. Shoot like 5 coats of that and buff it it will look like a show car.

My dad and I were planning on 4. Just because we think 5 might be a little messy, but we will see. Its so flat that 5 coats shouldn't be needed.

^ Hope it will. Put too much time and effort into it to slack off in the final few steps.

Just ordered:
Genuine EK9 thin moldings
Rear door handles from 96-98 Civic EX 4 door

Still need:
Synapse 40mm wastegate
Prolly some RC 1000's, I got a deal I might work out though. It involves my Hatchy getting some phat fives and a set of injectors in the trade ;)

Okay so the CORRECT clutch is coming today. I did some more sanding and blocking last night, as well as fixed the lights in the shop. Today was my first day of college. Thank god I'll have some more freetime now! 7:30am-11:30am FTMFW!

Damn, excellent work on the body. The pics down the side of the car look like glass. Makes me wish I had body working skills. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

I just wanted to let you know I want to steal your shop. It looks awesome, mine is not so much.
Its soo nice to have a shop. Especially when you're painting. Controlled temperature is a must for things to look good. But I suppose there are ways to get around that :thumbsup:
damn man get that shit painted
I know!! Its taking forever, but I am being very very meticulous.
Damn, excellent work on the body. The pics down the side of the car look like glass. Makes me wish I had body working skills. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
Well, to be honest with you.. I don't have bodyworking skills lol. I just listened to my dad's advice, and I'm taking it slow. Another good bit of advice I can offer is to get sandable primer, and put down 2-3 layers of it. That way you can get all the little dings and dents out, and also practice up on your wetsanding :thumbsup:

I just got done cleaning the shop out and spraying some crap in the air to kill all the bugs, so hopefully I can get it remasked and painted tonight! Cross your fingers!

Thanks for all the comments guys. Ill throw up some pics when I get a chance. :ph34r:

Well, here's your update. 56k I'm sorry.. but you're about to be molested. These are from yesterday though, the camera is dead (go figure) but the car IS PAINTED. It looks good. I'll post up pics and better details tomorrow. Anyway, on to the other pics now!

Okay so this was the second layer of epoxy primer. This convinced me to go back and do another layer of sandable primer:
100_0609.jpg

An up close shot of the sand marks that drove me crazy, kinda hard to see:
100_0610.jpg

100_0611.jpg

CORRECT ACT Clutch! 6 puck FTW!'
100_0612.jpg

After the second coat of sandable primer and some wetsanding this is what I had:
100_0613.jpg

Pretty straight, but this was before I guide-coated this side and found some ripples:
100_0614.jpg

Passenger side looked great:
100_0615.jpg

Roof looked pretty good as well:
100_0616.jpg

Got it back inside and guide-coated the driver's side door:
100_0617.jpg

Random shots
100_0618.jpg

100_0619.jpg

100_0620.jpg

Out came the wetsanding stuff again, here's my dad workin while I take a pic lol:
100_0621.jpg

And of course my dad didnt last too long wetsanding ;)
100_0622.jpg

Progression through the layers of sandable and epoxy primer:
100_0623.jpg

100_0624.jpg

100_0625.jpg

100_0626.jpg

And this is what I finally got it down to. It was completely flat here. You can look at it in any light and you wont find a single ripple anywhere on the car. Took some time, but def. worth it!
100_0627.jpg

In the process of masking it off:
100_0628.jpg

And thats all for now. More pics tomorrow.. My JDM thin side moldings are here (genuine Honda!) and my door handles should be here tomorrow or Monday. The bumper, lips, mirrors, moldings, other misc plastics will be getting painted on monday most likely. Motor going back in as soon as I get my two headstuds that I need.

This things finally getting somewhere. Just in time for the shitty weather lol ^_^

Thanks for looking

Nighthawk Black Pearl is the final color. Its a pretty cool color. I wanted to keep it close to stock, since I'm only fixing a couple spots in the jambs.

Pics later tonight, I'm about to go wheelin with some buddies so I'll try to get out to the shop and get some pics.

Just dropped another ~$550 into this project.
-Synapse 40mm wastegate
-RC 1000cc Peak and Hold injectors

Meh!

Yessir. I think the parts are kind of scattered all over the place. So here's a list:

Turbonetics T4 (T-72)
Synapse BOV
Synapse 40mm wastegate
RC 1000cc injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Stealthmode performance oil feed & return lines
Ebay intercooler piping
Turbonetics couplers/clamps
Ebay mani for right now
Chipped obd1 p75 ecu
Basemap by phearable.net
Innovate LC-1 wideband
3" DP and exhaust
etc.. im sure im forgetting some things

Block:
B18b1
JE 9.0:1 CR pistons
Eagle rods
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
OEM bearings
New seals, gaskets, etc
Stock sleeves
ACT 6 puck sprung clutch
Driveshaft shop axles (550 whp)
Avid Racing mounts
Head:
B18b1
Crower stg2 turbo cams
Crower valvesprings & retainers
Minor PnP & benchwork
Golden eagle stock thickness HG
AEM tru time adjustable cam gears

Misc:
Golden Eagle Vacuum manifold
K-Sport adjustable coilovers
Glowshift 7 color gauges
JDM thin moldings (OEM Honda)
99-00 front end conversion
Type R front & rear lips
Antenna shave
Rear wiper shave
Rear emblem shave

etc.. again im sure I forgot a few things..

Heres what I've got planned over winter (after I get the car running of course):
GSR rear disc conversion
New seals/weatherstripping for exterior
Install front & rear lips
New seats & center console
All new plastics for interior
Sleeved B18b1 (seperate block)
Different wheels (gsr blades or advans)

So you see I still have plans.. I just want to drive the car for a bit before I dig into all that other stuff. BTW this car will be getting tuned at Kaizenspeed in Tacoma when I get it finished.

Last edited:
Back