Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'd say go for it man. Its so much fun, and once you start, you can't stop.

What head are you talking about putting on an LS block?

i've recently got my hands on a B16A2. this i was told is an obdI engine. As long as i have the 99-00 si ecu, i should be good with maryland state emissions. this is all reman'd and i'd like to get some break in time as a daily driver. in the mean time, i want to get a hold of an ls block. i was informed by a pretty educated source to NOT go with the golden eagle sleeves i was originally going to go with. i was wondering if i should just leave this engine as is because of how new it is, grab an endyn b18 head and a dart block and drop some low compression pistons and hard rods and grab a kit with a t3/t4 kit. if i was made of money and like 700+ credit, i would do this so much sooner.

i'm glad i turned over to the honda.

Reading this entire thread made me finally make up my mind.
LS swap for the coupe!

for sure. a decent percent of people are all about the vtec. at first i didnt think the ls would be what i wanted, but its in my opinion the best to start out with if you have the funds.

It is a great starting point. It has a TON of potential, and its fairly inexpensive. My car went 14.86 with an Intake, header, and 3" exhaust. That was on a stock engine with a b16 tranny w/LSD that I got for no additional charge with my swap.

Its not a gutless engine like everyone thinks. My next engine for this car will either be a K or a sleeved b18b with a different crank, pistons, rods, and hardware.

for sure. a decent percent of people are all about the vtec. at first i didnt think the ls would be what i wanted, but its in my opinion the best to start out with if you have the funds.

Yeah, what really makes me mad is that people assume that the VTEC is the part that makes the power. You have to understand something.. when you put a B16 head on a B18B, you are not only increasing the compression (therefore increasing power) but the B16 head flows FAR better than the stock B18B or B18A head. VTEC was designed with economy in mind, without taking away the performance aspect of the engine.

Matt: I think I figured out a way to remould the plastic bezel to not cover the tach.

I'll post it in my build thread after I get it in the mail.

Heres some more pics. Also came across the pic of my hatch at the bottom.. and brought a tear to my eye.. lol I never realized that my car was actually pretty clean.. :p

Gay ass ebay mani is all I have for now. I think I'm going to have a buddy of mine that owns a machine shop do some work to it, move wastegate location, check the welds, add more supports, etc. Then it'll be ok for awhile.

100_0442.jpg

100_0443.jpg

100_0444.jpg

100_0447.jpg

and the pic of it from awhile ago..
myhatchy.jpg

It's good to see that you've already got the oil pressure restrictor in it.

Honestly, I'd buy a new manifold now, and see how the ssautochrome one holds up. Then if the ssautochrome manifold works for you, you can sell the new manifold, for minimal losses. But, srsly. Those manifolds aren't even equal length, much less stepped......

Yeah, I'm considering a new manifold right now. Just because I know the design is shotty. I got it for free, though. So I can't really complain. I'm thinking I will probably just get the ssautochrome mani works for a bit, and if it starts to show signs of cracking or it doesn't make any power, I'll yank it and buy a new mani. Anyone have suggestions for a reasonable t4 manifold somewhere on the net? It needs to be equal length, and of decent quality.

keep it b. b is for boost. k series from what i understand are overrated with turbo work unless you really put your money in it.

this could be argumentive, but i've read this alot. i debate with my buddy alot, who has the rsx type-s. he wanted to twin turbo the k... now you see who i'm arguing with. but if you did a k in an ek, that'd give it a whole new definition, so i couldnt knock on that either. i'd respect that too.

There is nothing wrong with turboing a K, the problem is that its really tight in the RSX. Thats why they make the side mount manifolds for em, so its easier to work on. I cant see myself swapping a k into this hatch after doing this much work to it.

side mounts as in the turbo sits off to the side? i've seen that. a buddy of mine with a b16 in an eg hatch got a kit like that. it was crazy and just not typical. it worked out, but the radiator was an issue because of where it sat.

Are you sure you want to take a chance on the SS manifold, Matt? The things they make are known to be CRAP!

As long as it's braced, it will function just fine. It won't make as much power as an equal length ramhorn, but it will work better than a log as long as it doesn't crack or drop weld boogers through his turbine wheel. Seriously, have a look inside the runners, make sure there's nothing sticking out that might break off and destroy that turbo. It might be a good idea to heat cycle that thing a few times before putting the snail on.

Thanks, Luis.

And yes, I am re-considering the manifold. Its the only weak part of the turbo system as of right now.

Klyph- Thanks for the tip man. I didn't even think about that. But now I'm thinking I'll try that. I have checked inside the runners, all appears to be well. But I cant really see everywhere so I dunno what to do about that.

It's only welded at the flange and the collector, so as long as all looks kosher there, I'd just run it.

Back