Matts96HB's EJ6 Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I swear to got its just one issue after another with this thing.

When I turn the crank now, the timing belt wants to jump teeth on the cam gear. I put the stock cam gear back on thinking that might have been the issue, and it's still doing it. No matter how tight the tensioner is.

As well as tightening the tensioner you have to make sure the tension is on the belt first then kind of rotate the crank while the tensioner is loose and make sure the whole entire belt is tight then put tension on the tensioner and set the engine back at TDC.

NO, you only turn it 3 teeth on a B series then tighten. Not just "until it's tight".

Anyway, Matt, what belt do you have on it? OEM? I'm not reading all 30 pages again.. it's been too long :ph34r:

As well as tightening the tensioner you have to make sure the tension is on the belt first then kind of rotate the crank while the tensioner is loose and make sure the whole entire belt is tight then put tension on the tensioner and set the engine back at TDC.
I'm tightening it exactly how the Acura manual says to.
Rotate 5-6 revolutions to set the belt
Back tensioner out 180 degrees
Rotate 3 teeth on cam gear, tighten to 40ftlbs
NO, you only turn it 3 teeth on a B series then tighten. Not just "until it's tight".

Anyway, Matt, what belt do you have on it? OEM? I'm not reading all 30 pages again.. it's been too long :ph34r:

Yes, OEM belt. Not sure what the deal is, my tuner is coming over in a bit to take a looksie and see what we can figure out though.

Pulled the head last night.

It's going to a machine shop tomorrow. I think I was getting some coil bind. That'll be getting looked at and I'm also going to have him take a look at the valves and such to see if anything is damaged.

Tops of the pistons looked great, cylinder walls look awesome, everything checks out except the stupid damn head.

I'm going to be running a GReddy timing belt this time, also going to get a new head gasket and belt tensioner.

Yep, Crower "Stage 2" Turbo cams and Crower dual springs and titanium retainers.

Update for you all:
Car is now gutted from the behind the front seats back.
Will be getting caged within the next 3 weeks
Parts I ordered:
GReddy Kevlar Timing belt (to put up with the stiffer springs)
Moroso oil pan
Buddy Club Short throw
New Cometic MLS gasket

Hopefully all of these things get here early next week, I'm expecting the head will be done around then. I'll post pics of the progress with the gutting and wire tuck when I get home.

let me know when you are going to go to pacific raceway. i'll go out that day.

Wait wait wait, you mean PR in Kent or is there another one? If your comin over to this side of the hills lemme know too. Ill bring my pile out for the day.

It'll probably be within the month depending on what happens with the head.
Wait wait wait, you mean PR in Kent or is there another one? If your comin over to this side of the hills lemme know too. Ill bring my pile out for the day.
I think theres only one PR, but I could be wrong.

Nice! Youll hafta lemme know when your in the area.

Motor is back out. Car jumped time on the last tuning session, and also the injector wires got switched, so it was showing me a decent AFR, but seemed like it wasn't getting enough fuel. AFR was 10.0 in boost and still was cutting out and sputtering (detonating) which in turn placed a shit ton of pressure on the bearings, causing them to prematurely wear on the inside edge of them.

At any rate, I caught it before anything major could happen. The bearings actually looked pretty good except for a very thin line of bronze showing on the inside edge of them. I took the engine to a local machine shop for new bearings, rings, and re-assembly. I'll post pics when I get it back.
What a bummer.

Yeah it blows. I was told one to two weeks on the bottom end. So while I'm waiting I'm going to do my wire tuck the right way (fuse box, battery relocation, etc). Nothing better to do with my time. Haha

aww shits.. now i cant drive it in a couple of days. boooo :hitler:
Yeah im pissed lol
So on top of all that whats going on with your head? You mentioned it above.
Well, its out at a different machine shop. Basically Brian Crower and the shop I took it to are sorting out some sort of a mistake in the install height of the springs. I'm still baffled at how this can happen with a set of springs MADE FOR that specific camshaft.

Back