mortgage bailout

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've been wondering about refinancing myself.. but not real sure where to start.. we got a CalHFA loan .. 30 yr fixed at 5.5%.. purchase price of $150k.. we've lived here just over a year without a single late payment and several payments of $100 extra towards our principle balance

I don't know if refinancing would help you that much. Have you had your credit pulled since purchasing the house?

I can't believe you got a house for 150k in california, even though it might have been a fixer upper. Those don't exist in washington unless you're east of the mountains.

yea.. i've had my credit ran when i purchased the engagement/wedding set.. other than that, i dont think i have..

a lot of people were surprised how cheap we got it.. 4bd, 2 bth, 1600sq ft .. 10000 sq ft lot..sold for $315k 2 yrs before....

house wasnt really a fixer upper.. just needed to be repainted inside because it was a foreclosure

That's a steal at 315k. Yet alone 150!

I could make that mortgage like it was going out of style! Sheeeeeesh!

I don't know if refinancing would help you that much. Have you had your credit pulled since purchasing the house?

I can't believe you got a house for 150k in california, even though it might have been a fixer upper. Those don't exist in washington unless you're east of the mountains.

Even over here its getting stupid with prices as well. Fucking grape growers....

Anyways, credit means jack shit if its used in the wrong way. It's a tool, if used right, it will carry you far. if used wrong.... you'll have little things in your sig showing how deep you're in.

I put things in my sig to simply remind myself, as well as others, how you can use your credit responsibly and still fall into a hole.

I used my credit extremely sparingly until I decided to purchase a home. I had 1 credit card with a balance of $1000 on it when I bought the house. Then I bought a TV/Surround for the house (both of which are paid off), grille/gas, washer, dryer, house supplies, and paid for repairs (including the windows) to the house with my credit. My main problem with money right now was due to my mortgage unexpectedly rising because of someone elses miscalculation. I was living within my means, and making my payments easily until that happened, now I wish I'd just taken my extra means and thrown it into the rainy day fund. Constantly putting that money into new loan costs doesn't make any sense, since now the sub-prime lending is hard to come by.

My point is even if you can refinance, saving 1000s over 30 years nets you very little, IMO. If he's able to live well within his means I see no point in constantly refinancing or taking out new loans. If I was sitting there, and I should be once my exemptions kick in in July, then I'm going to pay down debt faster and get it off my back. Once my car payment is matured, I'll be sitting even better with another 250 back in my pocket every month. I'm stuck between the rock and hard place, he isn't. There really isn't a reason because he won't start to see the savings with all the loan origination fees, closing fees and all the other BS fees for a good while.

and yes Mr Moneybags, you work at a pizza place, you also just got another new car along with a semi-highly modified 350z toy, tv, yada yada for the house, oh and the house too. You're sitting pretty, don't go denying it.

I put things in my sig to simply remind myself, as well as others, how you can use your credit responsibly and still fall into a hole.

Isn't that an oxymoron? I mean to me the idea of using credit means using it so you don't fall into a hole.

I also don't understand how netting thousands/tens of thousands over the course of the loan after the re-fi nets you very little. Could you explain that better? To me that is money in the bank.

Last edited:
No it isn't. I used my credit responsibly and fell into a hole because of other reasons not associated directly to using it.

My point is even if you can refinance, saving 1000s over 30 years nets you very little, IMO.

My refi knocked $250.00 off my monthly payment, you do know that 250 over 30 years is $90,000.00 dollars right? That's almost 1/3 the total cost of my house. As far as refi over and over again, most people wont. I got in at 6% and was able to refi down to 5%, rates are now at 4.75 but that is too little of a % to refi, I'll only refi again if rates drop to 4. at that point I would be in the hole for a total of 3 credit pulls and chances are never refi again unless rates hit 3%. You'd be stupid to refi every .25% drop. but a full % adds up quick.

and yes Mr Moneybags, you work at a pizza place, you also just got another new car along with a semi-highly modified 350z toy, tv, yada yada for the house, oh and the house too. You're sitting pretty, don't go denying it.
You missed my point. I work at a pizza place and can afford all that stuff... is it because I make bank? or it because I make the most of my money? hell, the refi alone if put into a car payment would take me from a Honda Accord payment into a BMW 335 coupe payment.

It's all in how you handle your money, I for one want to get the most out of my money and invest it in different areas, this means not having a tax refund, or refi a 4 month old loan. hell, the closing cost of my refi was an investment that will pay for itself in no time.

No it isn't. I used my credit responsibly and fell into a hole because of other reasons not associated directly to using it.

...I like you as a person and you mean well, but at some point you have to take responsibility for a poor decision you made on your own.

You could have ran the calculations yourself or could have had an accountant run the numbers.

You could have chose a more affordable home to yourself. You completely overextended yourself when $250 is significant to you.

Pick up this book... Rich Dad, Poor Dad.. and hopefully your perspective on money will change and make future decisions easier for yourself.

You're a new homeowner, relax there chico. Let the mortgage ride for a year or so before trying to refinance.

i've owned the house for a year, may 2nd, so its not like i've had it for a few months..

i was talking to a lady at lendingtree, and she said that i can do the fha streamline, and go from 5.87% to roughly 5.0% with little down payments.. that works out to be about $100 a month, give or take, so even if i have to pay 1500 in closing costs, 15 months into my 30 year mortgage and i would be out of the red.. so assume i make payments on the house for the full 30 years, thats $34,500 in the black. i can think of a lot of other things i can do with that $100 a month, but i would most likely continue to make the same payments i am and put that 100/mo into the principal. that would work out to be 1 payment extra a year, and form what i hear, making 1 extra payment a year will take off roughly 8 years off the loan's duration.

the reason i'm hesitant to jump into it now is because i want to get the lowest possible rate when i do go for it.. i know the market can be all over the place, but even if i wait too long and dont get anything, 5.87% is still pretty descent.

i still have a lot to research into because i am still excessivly ignorant when it comes to this, but when i do make up my mind, it needs to be the right descision.

Last edited:
the reason i'm hesitant to jump into it now is because i want to get the lowest possible rate when i do go for it.. i know the market can be all over the place, but even if i wait too long and dont get anything, 5.87% is still pretty descent.

i still have a lot to research into because i am still excessivly ignorant when it comes to this, but when i do make up my mind, it needs to be the right descision.

Tell your lady you want 4.75 with zero buy down points. When she can get you that rate to lock it and then call you. If it never happens then so be it.

It's nothing more then playing a game of luck. 5.00 aint bad at all. but the last few days its been dipping into the high 4s so......

Tell your lady you want 4.75 with zero buy down points. When she can get you that rate to lock it and then call you. If it never happens then so be it.

It's nothing more then playing a game of luck. 5.00 aint bad at all. but the last few days its been dipping into the high 4s so......

dang, i need to look into that.. i think i need to talk to the lady we originally got our mortgage from, before it got sold 2 times.. see what she can do

well I'm at 6.875 they offered me 5.375 plus 400 app 15xx in points and 14xx in fees to total 4138 total I believe. house value at 91k current mortgage at 71xxx. Would put me over the 80/20 but with current rules would not have to pay PMI. Also credit score is about 640-650. With that I would save about $85 a month. I have seen intrest rates anywhere from 4.2 on up, and not to sure what I'd qualify for. I think I might shop around, as I don't qualify for the bailout. Even with my earnings dropping 10 to 15k this year, my son having issues causing me to miss work, not getting my child support and several other sob stories I could throw at them. Basicaly if your current mortgage is not at 31% or more of your gross monthly salerie you're screwed, or if you owe way more then your house is worth.

Ya and MHA is only for fannies and freddies. We don't offer it on any non-governmental loan. It's a heap of shit. Those of you that are arguing with Jeffie seem to be disregarding the destructive power of compound interest. Go do a search for a mortgage calculator and find one that let's you apply extra to principal. Start with a 30 year fixed for $200,000 at 7% and see what happens to the amortization when you pay only an extra $50 a month. It takes like 5 years off the payoff table.

Back